Author Topic: AMD is not amused  (Read 3573 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: AMD is not amused
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 02:38:35 pm »
KDE has more features than Win/Mac? Yes.
KDE has better usability than Win/Mac? Hell no, it's even worse than most of its Linux counterparts (hint: putting useless options everywhere doesn't help). Had to use it for 4 years... can't say it was pleasant.

Oh, and the comment about Mac doesn't really help your credibility; in fact it makes me think that your judgement is quite biased and not objective at all. I don't like Macs myself for several reasons, but I have to give them credit for the work they did on usability.

Oh, right, because usability means taking away options and making everything shiny and snappy, right? No.

My judgment of course can't be objective, because I'm a subject. Same goes for you. And credibility? In what regard? Handling Desktop Environments? I would rather say YOUR credibility as a developer is at stake, if you consider Mac OS to be the pinnacle of usability. I really hope you won't apply this twisted understanding of the term "usability" during the development of M:BG.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 06:58:49 pm »
Try to talk with people who do that for work, I think you would be surprised. :wink:

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2013, 12:47:10 am »
Try to talk with people who do that for work, I think you would be surprised. :wink:

What does usability mean in the context of "do that for work"? If you are administrating command line + sh >> shitty "usable" mouse pointer installer with no silent option unless you reverse engineer it and implement it yourself. Arguably that argument is flawed since those often aren't native Linux programs but whatever.
For the average user, really, with modern Linux DE, what usability functions are those? Really curious.
(Arguably it is a stepstone for the average user to find out that he has to use Cinnamon or LXDE or burn in hell *cough*)

I personally prefer XFCE as environment because it's the most clean and best structured desktop environment ever (imho :P ).

Linux has an image and perception problem, that's all really.
Most people don't even take the time to look at it once. They just grab on to the old stereotypes about it: only console wizards can use it, there is no support for anything, you have to be a geek to being able to properly use it and all those things.
Guess that is what you get for being Open-Source and released as a "text-adventure" in the beginning days ;)

I consider myself lucky to know at least part of the truth and enjoy my dual boot at home and work very much. I play on windows, I work on Linux. :D

Well, I partly agreee. But I've still noticed problems between Linux -> Windows Portation. If you are writing Office Docs, would you rather use MS Office, or "Linux" Office, when you are not sure the formation matches (maybe they fixed it by now or maybe I could fix it myself with enough knowlege ... but MS Office does that for free when you can write it off taxes)?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 01:05:56 am »
Oh, right, because usability means taking away options and making everything shiny and snappy, right? No.

'Usability is the ease of use and learnability of a human-made object.' So it just means if it's simple and intuitive to use. I hadn't used a mac until I used my girlfriends laptop and it was entirely self explanatory and needed minimal effort to understand. For the average user that's all they need.

I still think they are horrendously over priced but there's no denying that out of windows, linux and mac, the mac is probably the easiest and fastest to learn for your average user.

That doesn't necessarily mean they are the best for every task ect. But then that's not what usability means...

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2013, 07:56:44 am »
[...]
Well, I partly agreee. But I've still noticed problems between Linux -> Windows Portation. If you are writing Office Docs, would you rather use MS Office, or "Linux" Office, when you are not sure the formation matches (maybe they fixed it by now or maybe I could fix it myself with enough knowlege ... but MS Office does that for free when you can write it off taxes)?
I am in the comfortable position where I don't need to work with MS Office except for being able to read it :) Then again, afaik, MS Office works perfectly fine under Wine by now. Personally, I write everything in Tex (used to be LaTex, now it's TexLive) and for the rudimentary usage of tabs, I use the OOversion of Excel.
There used to be an issue where OOexcel couldn't calculate the standard variance of certain graphs (can't really remember the details about it tbh). That's something MS Excel is better at, granted. Doesn't outweigh the good feeling of OpenSource for me tho :D
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 12:36:02 pm »