Author Topic: AMD is not amused  (Read 3715 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: AMD is not amused
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 02:26:44 am »
+1
What you wanted to say is: you don't know it. You can't like or dislike something that you don't know.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 05:35:18 pm »
What you wanted to say is: you don't know it. You can't like or dislike something that you don't know.

That´s bullshit.I can dislike h i t l e r without knowing him.I can dislike drugs without using them.

You can not dislike something without having information about it, that´s right, but I HAVE information about linux and I´ve seen it in action - which leads me to disliking it.

Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2013, 07:07:41 pm »
S3_Graphics>amd>geforce

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 08:04:15 pm »
That´s bullshit.I can dislike h i t l e r without knowing him.I can dislike drugs without using them.

You can not dislike something without having information about it, that´s right, but I HAVE information about linux and I´ve seen it in action - which leads me to disliking it.

Knowledge = Information. You just said what I said with different words. And no, you can't dislike Hitler, what you can dislike is what he has done, because this is known. Same thing for the drugs, you cannot dislike "drugs" without ever having tried them. What you can dislike is that some make you addicted and harm your body, because, once again, this is known.

Seeing Linux in action is quite difficult, btw., because it's an operating system. What you probably mean is you have seen one of the Desktop Environments that run on Linux, like KDE or Gnome.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 08:16:40 pm »
Knowledge = Information. You just said what I said with different words. And no, you can't dislike Hitler, what you can dislike is what he has done, because this is known. Same thing for the drugs, you cannot dislike "drugs" without ever having tried them. What you can dislike is that some make you addicted and harm your body, because, once again, this is known.

Well, it is also known that, to use windows applications and games on linux that have not made to fit with linux too need applications like wine etc. to function.3rd party programs to run my shit means inconvenience ->I dislike it

Seeing Linux in action is quite difficult, btw., because it's an operating system. What you probably mean is you have seen one of the Desktop Environments that run on Linux, like KDE or Gnome.

Whatever man.The basics of what Iam disliking remain the same.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 08:26:03 pm »

This is not how the human brain works. Also having to use emulators and poor graphics support really sucks for gaming.

Well tbh the desktop environment is a very important thing when you want to use a computer. Look at all the hate windows 8 is getting. I'm writing this from a new laptop running 8 and I personnally think it's not that bad if you take the time to learn the interface. That even though they have made some real improvements. Then again, Linux distros (especially the proprietary ones) have been on average leagues ahead of Microsoft in terms of performance and ease of use (especially advanced features and fixing it when it doesn't work) for the expert user.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2013, 10:50:33 pm »
Well, it is also known that, to use windows applications and games on linux that have not made to fit with linux too need applications like wine etc. to function.3rd party programs to run my shit means inconvenience ->I dislike it

Again, you don't dislike Linux, you dislike the fact that your software doesn't run on it. And I agree. For gaming, Windows is still required. And for a lot of special purpose software, too. Another problem is hardware, btw. A lot of hardware still doesn't run or runs only poorly under a Linux OS. Because hardware vendors generally don't care about Linux, and somebody else must then do their job and write drivers for their products. And they might not be interested in all of the features, so they only implement what they need.

Whatever man.The basics of what Iam disliking remain the same.

Not at all. Somebody that sits into a Porsche Cayenne with Diesel engine, then decides he dislikes Diesel engines because the steering wheel is not to his taste draws the same conclusions as you. Of course, you are not completely to blame, because the term Linux is commonly misused, and people coming from Windows have a strange opinion of what an operating system consists of, something they are not entirely to blame for, because Microsoft themselves seem to share it.

This is not how the human brain works.

Are you saying my brain is not human?

Well tbh the desktop environment is a very important thing when you want to use a computer. Look at all the hate windows 8 is getting. I'm writing this from a new laptop running 8 and I personnally think it's not that bad if you take the time to learn the interface. That even though they have made some real improvements. Then again, Linux distros (especially the proprietary ones) have been on average leagues ahead of Microsoft in terms of performance and ease of use (especially advanced features and fixing it when it doesn't work) for the expert user.

I agree. The desktop environment is important. The problem is that people dislike alternative environments not because they are inferior, but because they are unfamiliar. This is the second reason (hw and sw compatibility being the first one) why Linux isn't more popular, because the desktop environments and other key elements of interacting with the computer (filesystem tree, a.k.a. where is my C: drive? etc.) are different to what they are used to. It doesn't matter that they might even be better, as long as they are different from how Windows does things, they are "unusable".

I once had a client that asked me to "install Linux" on his computer. I installed one of the more popular distributions, but he immediately disliked it, and asked me to change things to make it "better". Fortunately, software contained in Linux distributions is often open source and even besides that usually allows you to customize it heavily. I implemented some of the changes he required, but was then forced to reinstall Windows, because he discovered that a .exe File he downloaded from somewhere "didn't work on Linux". Basically, he wanted a Windows that doesn't cost anything.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:11:25 pm by zagibu »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 11:34:06 pm »
Are you saying my brain is not human?

To "like" isn't well-defined. We can say we like or dislike basically anything and it always makes sense.

I agree. The desktop environment is important. The problem is that people dislike alternative environments not because they are inferior, but because they are unfamiliar. This is the second reason (hw and sw compatibility being the first one) why Linux isn't more popular, because the desktop environments and other key elements of interacting with the computer (filesystem tree, a.k.a. where is my C: drive? etc.) are different to what they are used to. It doesn't matter that they might even be better, as long as they are different from how Windows does things, they are "unusable".

I once had a client that asked me to "install Linux" on his computer. I installed one of the more popular distributions, but he immediately disliked it, and asked me to change things to make it "better". Fortunately, software contained in Linux distributions is often open source and even besides that usually allows you to customize it heavily. I implemented some of the changes he required, but was then forced to reinstall Windows, because he discovered that a .exe File he downloaded from somewhere "didn't work on Linux". Basically, he wanted a Windows that doesn't cost anything.

Wait, people buy windows ?

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 11:49:41 pm »
+1
Uh, yeah, you know, they are kinda useful, to look through, and to let light in. What else do you use in their place? Doors?

To "like" isn't well-defined. We can say we like or dislike basically anything and it always makes sense.

If that were true, it would make sense to like and dislike something at the same time. Only because YOU don't know the definition of "like", doesn't mean nobody else does.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:54:46 pm by zagibu »

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 11:54:55 pm »

They might be unfamiliar, but unfortunately they are also inferior in terms of usability and features to their Windows/Mac counterparts.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 12:15:35 am »
They might be unfamiliar, but unfortunately they are also inferior in terms of usability and features to their Windows/Mac counterparts.

A laughable statement. At least you don't bother adding "in my opinion", I always liked that about your comments.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 01:34:36 am »
Hey, it's a fact. They might come close or even better when heavily customized, but you can't expect the average user to do that (the talibans do, and that contributes to Linux' non-popularity).

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 02:41:10 am »
Default KDE is miles ahead of anything Windows has to offer, and let's not talk about Mac, please. You don't bring a knife to a gunfight, no matter if it's shiny or not.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 03:31:54 am »
KDE has more features than Win/Mac? Yes.
KDE has better usability than Win/Mac? Hell no, it's even worse than most of its Linux counterparts (hint: putting useless options everywhere doesn't help). Had to use it for 4 years... can't say it was pleasant.

Oh, and the comment about Mac doesn't really help your credibility; in fact it makes me think that your judgement is quite biased and not objective at all. I don't like Macs myself for several reasons, but I have to give them credit for the work they did on usability.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 09:34:05 am »
I personally prefer XFCE as environment because it's the most clean and best structured desktop environment ever (imho :P ).

Linux has an image and perception problem, that's all really.
Most people don't even take the time to look at it once. They just grab on to the old stereotypes about it: only console wizards can use it, there is no support for anything, you have to be a geek to being able to properly use it and all those things.
Guess that is what you get for being Open-Source and released as a "text-adventure" in the beginning days ;)

I consider myself lucky to know at least part of the truth and enjoy my dual boot at home and work very much. I play on windows, I work on Linux. :D
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.