Author Topic: Hexagonal map for Strategus and Ideas on how to (AB)USE it!  (Read 12471 times)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
Alright so heres the idea: (If some dev can come out and tell this is faaar out of what you have in mind, just let us know ;-)

In stead of having a completely open map where anyone can run where they want, I wanted to introduce the idea of controlling territory.. So I've stolen this idea from Panzer general..

(click to show/hide)

That way owning a city or a fort would actually mean something else than a production house, being able to decide what factions have free access in their territory i.ex. Some forts would have much more value if they have a strategic position.. and others again might gain value only in combination with other forts, creating a wall. Of course, factionless armies and players would not suffer from these constraints.

It should of course also not stop movement completely, only cut movement speed in half or so.

Such a system also opens up a whole lot of other opportunities, such as telling an AI caravan what route to take to the target. Owning some forts in the center of the map would contain huge risks, but you would also be able to extort taxes and offer protection to factions wiling to pay :-D

One faction could try to wall off a part of the map, controlling the enemy's ability to strike deep inside their territory.. Such an effort would, however be very risky, since not many other factions would like such a thing to happen freely.

Also, the grid i made on the map obviously have to big "masks", and a city or fort should not control such a large area. Of course the villages/forts cities should be adjusted to fit such a grid as well, so it makes more sense.

Also, the whole game of strategus would become far far more complex, and not just a game of having many players and many friends. In addition to the whole economical aspect, the strategic aspect would be of major importance. A location would have value in itself. A small guild in a very good location with an easily defendable fort, could buy itself security, cash, weapons or other favours based on giving access alone..

Perhaps the whole map should be redesigned by some genius, and perhaps every reset should contain a new map for us..

Just an idea..

(Also the green line there is just there to show that you could block off movement in mountain ranges, rivers, ocean etc..)

version with smaller hexes
(click to show/hide)

Map showing visibility and ZoC
(click to show/hide)

List of ideas on how to use the hexes:

1. Terrain types gives different movement bonuses and penalties.. Stacking with zone of control, thus a fort in a forest slows down an enemy much more
2. Terrain types can produce things.. Mountains can produce coal or minerals, wheat fields produce bread or cattle (food) Sea produce fish, like mentioned above..
3. You could give armies bonuses for surrounding an enemy.. Encirclement bonuses, give tactical advantage somehow. (Free tickets?)
4. Taxation of fiefs in your Zone of Control
5. Taxation of passing caravans
6. Programming advantages. ? (Dunno how it should be done, using the existing code to calculate what hex someone is in mathematically, or do a test against a matrix, what the hell, i dunno shit about programming :-D
7. Road building..
8. Contested Zones.. :-) Basically walking through no-mans land.. perhaps stuff that happens in no-mans land will not be recorded in any way by players, leading to my next point.
9. Information Gathering of passing players, armies and caravans.
10. Building of structures.
11. Pillaging of structures.
12. Visibility range. Let's say you build a spy-tower, giving you information about surrounding hexes and what players are doing there..
13. Easier coding of what terrain a player might expect if battling in a spesific hex. Next time a battle is there, the exact same terrain would appear, encouraging players to scout terrain and store information about it, so they can plan their next battle.. People could sell maps of areas to each other!
14. Fog of War. No-one will know how big, or how the world map looks like.. Everyone just know their little piece, making world-map and screenshot trading, faking of screenshots (!) etc it's own business! (Again encouraging spy-clans and spy-factions, delivering up-to date information about factions.. Bribing members etc etc.. hehe.
15.. Hidden movement. If you only travel with 1 soldier army, no-one can detect you..
16. Turn based movement: (Suggested by PhantomZero)
17. Taxable hexes (Suggested by Sir Henry)
18.  "I just want old strategus back" (Suggested by TheDashingRogue)
19. Armys under 20 ppl shoud be hidden.(Suggested by Gingerpussy)
20. Tydeus suggested implementing a Morale bonus (+1!) consisting of boosting stats to players controlling surrounding hexes.
21. Artillery from PG would be cool somehow.. But how exactly could it work? How could adjacent hexes defend an adjacent hex? Or attack PAST another hex?
22. Electro suggested having squares within squared.. didnt quite understand but see here:  http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,7804.msg120581.html#msg120581
23. Monsterbrum was contemplating economical aspects:
"I'm allready thinking abaut the cool economical aspects that could be added this way
-Every ticket would need an spesific amaunt of suplies.
-spesific hexes grow spesific "suplies", like: hexes in green (grassy) lands are the only hexes that would grow wheath.
-than an faction needs more food, the faction is realy strong it declears war with another faction, wich isnt strong but has good land for growing wheath, than when the defenders pull back they burn the fields, so the enemy starves. Think abaut the hunderd years war, the french did it, napoleons invasion in russia etc..
-an harvest fails, but an faction was so smart to smart to save a bunch of it and thusford has a lot of power cause of the saved suplies they have.

I like putting in an mixtiure of strategic things like defending passes and stuff connected to economical things."

24. Building and destroying improvements. (Adding a cost of war.. and perhaps interesting strategies. Scorched Earth anyone? Perhaps a faction could self-destruct its own improvements if it doesn't feel it has a chance of getting it back in the near future. And perhaps armies in recently scorched hexes become more vulnerable to supply-lines)
25. Joseph suggested I become a dev. I'm sorry I'm almost never at irc, don't have the time etc.. But I do care about games. This game especially! But it soo much easier philosophizing loosely without having to actually develop anything, let alone balance it. This list is more of a pool of ideas, then the devs can choose and pick what they like. (Thats why you too should bring in ideas! You never know, because even a the crappiest idea can have some aspect that might be interesting in their minds.)
26. SUPPLY LINES Oh how I would love to see it done.. It would create a very deep perspective to the gameplay..
27. The hex idea goes hand in hand with Noctivagants idea of sea battles. A hex would provide an actual area of sea worth controlling and fighting for. For fish, or for travel.
28. Noctis superb map of the last status in strategus, Hexadecimally done!:
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:07:35 am by Thomek »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
Re: Hexagonal map for some future version of strategus..
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:09:47 pm »
Reserved for later
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:05:07 am by Thomek »

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:52:21 pm »
Hmmm interesting, but this will conflict with what the dev team were turning strat into correct?
Just a soldier

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA CRPG Admin
  • Game nicks: Ecko_ATS
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:01:36 pm »
Cool. I like it.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:09:06 pm »
Looks cool, would definitely add a more strategic element to the map
Turtles

Offline Harald

• The old
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:12:09 pm »
I like this idea a lot. IMO it is not too far off since it would solve a few things in a nice way (routes, blocking, etc.). Right now our plan is just to bring back strategus like it was before, but within the new website and an improved code base (that is what i'm working on). There were some ideas for e.g. varying movement speed, but nothing specific planned afaik.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:18:43 pm by Harald »

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:42:55 pm »
Right now our plan is just to bring back strategus like it was before, but within the new website and an improved code base
No any new gameplay features?  :o

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:46:52 pm »
Hey Thomek, will I get gold for owning the sea?

Like a fisherman faction!

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:20:00 pm »
No any new gameplay features?  :o

ill take it, as long as its up  :)

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:06:40 pm »
Great idea! This would make Strategus more Strategus, and less Tacticus.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 10:17:59 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Moved to 1st post
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:09:13 am by Thomek »

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 10:34:14 pm »
AWESOME, looks like civ mixed with Total war.
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 11:08:14 pm »
This would also easily convert it into a turn based game, so people wouldn't have to constantly sit there and watch for invading armies, instead only checking every couple hours or so per turn.

Turns would also not resolve until all battle for that turn were done, thus preventing the use of the 10 man army to bog down 1000 men while the 990 man army runs right by them and  assaults the now undefended town.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:10:28 pm by PhantomZero »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:32:58 pm »
+1 for this!

I would love to see something like this implemented.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 11:57:08 pm »
About watching for invading armies, if crossing a tile normally took 2 hours, it would take perhaps 4 hours to cross a tile in Enemy Zone of Control. More if the tile was mountain or forest.. (6-8 hours) And if the range of visibility extended past the ZoC by one tile, you would have a warning of minimum 4+2, and maximum  4+4 Mountain+ZoC (50% slowdown) + Visibility tile of let's say forest 3 hours = 11 hours warning, if no allies or scouts already warned you.

So turn based would perhaps not be necessary.. I liked the around the clock dynamics of the previous installation, although it was sleep-depriving.. :-D

Heres a picture of what i see as visibility range. Perhas it should be less, perhaps it should be extendable by building watchtowers, perhaps watchtowers should extend it even more.

And I would of course request email-notification feature.. that way when a certain faction enters, or you get attacked, strategus sends you an email. That email you can then forward to all sorts of devices.. (and make sure you will have no life..)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:59:15 pm by Thomek »