Author Topic: Banners, balance and factions  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
Banners, balance and factions
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:32 pm »
One of the greatest things with the new patch is the banner balance that allows clanmates to play with each other. Never have I seen so much tactic as when people on teamspeak work together and fight. It has been GREAT.

But it is not without problems. One is actual round balance which I will not discuss here, this is another topic.

However another problem have arised. People take certain banners to play with them *cough*mercs*cough*.
personally random dudes as well have used "our" banner in my clan.

I have two suggestions which have been discussed on the irc channel, that I believe need more consideration.

BOth of them requires that actual factions like them in strategus will be established within cRPG char page. If this is impossible both points are void.
Both suggestions require that players use these factions or a public faction.

1) First option is that only members of a certain faction within cRPG have acces to X banner. Hence allow the banner balance to sort by banners, as only people of Y clan have access to X banner.
1a) Problem is.. who decides who gets a banner? Leiknir suggest that only those who own fiefs in strategus gets one. I disagree. I believe those who yelled first gets it. Ad Necrias custom banner list is as good as any.

2) That the autobalance checks the factions on cRPG. I don't know if this is possible, but this would prevent the battle of banners.

What you think?

1) First option is to reserve cert
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:05:27 am by Aemaelius »
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Centry

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Guard_Ylsa
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Ylsa
Re: Banners, balance and factions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:46:17 pm »
+1

Offline Airith

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • NA Community Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among The Shadows
  • Game nicks: Airith_ATS, Solanar_II_ATS
  • IRC nick: Airith
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:55:35 pm »
banners need to be decided on the db, which changes your char's banner, and banners can be claimed by clans. that gets rid of nubs trying to always get on the winning side. if you're not in that clan, you can't use that clan's banner.

there has to be a few non-clan banners of course. really, we need moar banners xD

IRC:
 there has to be a seperate banner selection on your character screen on the website, this leaves out strategus and all that. then a clan can claim a banner or something.
 claiming through strategus would be a good idea, as we need more clans in strategus. this way mains can claim the banner, and alts can use them
 then clans can handout banners to whoever they let have them. maybe a list, or make it a on request basis
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:10:26 am by Airith »
And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:35:48 am »
Naa, free banners for free people :P .

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:20:00 pm »
I'd be up for 50% of available banners being dedicated to specific clans on first come first served or strategus landowning basis.  As long as 50% are still available for public consumption.

Offline Puppybull

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
  • Faction: The Free Companies of Calradia
  • Game nicks: Apsalar / o2O / Chaotic_Good / Xaeros_Unicorns / 2Laggy4U
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:39:09 pm »
Hrm. It is true that the teamwork and tactics in game between clans is fun, not to mention HARDCORE, but is also true that to all these individuals not in clans it is unfair. Basically you get like 2 clans on one faction that faction rolls the other faction with random players.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:01:14 pm »
well, i may probably be the only one who thinks this way, but i think the balance by banner was probably one of the things i most disliked about the patch. I'll keep it plain and simple why.

In a game like this where people NEED gold for upkeep, it gives large clans who have 10-20 people on at a time(ecspecially all on the same server and on a server as small as an 80man server) an unfair advantage(basically farming gold and xp). I've seen this happening lately where people who are clanless or have few clan members on at that time lose 3-6 maps in a row, causing them to lose a lot of gold even though they have cheap equipment.

I know people in clans love playing the game with tactics and teamwork, but a public server is NOT a place to do this. If you have a clan that is large and are teamwork-minded, they need to be playing on a private server, auto-balance off, and seperate teams by their choosing. basically an inter-clan scrimmage if you will.
(possibly invite other clan(s) to join if said clan doesnt want to split grouping)

Btw, i dont think something like an autobalancer like that which was put into place pre-patch would fix this. That is because if you ARE playing tactically and working as a team no one or two people will have the majority of the kills.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:18:51 pm by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 01:19:33 am »

I know people in clans love playing the game with tactics and teamwork, but a public server is NOT a place to do this. If you have a clan that is large and are teamwork-minded, they need to be playing on a private server, auto-balance off, and seperate teams by their choosing. basically an inter-clan scrimmage if you will.

NO

Don't tell people what to do and they won't tell you where to go. Now go and join a clan (i know you're in one already, tis' just sarcasm).

cRPG servers atm are x10 times more fun than they were before, especially if there is a couple of clans playing on both sides, followed by the (less than before the patch) less organized crowds of random players.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:20:38 am by Shogunate_Ujin »

Offline Astinus

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Armata Brancaleone
  • Game nicks: AB_Astinus
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 11:21:07 am »
I guess that the stupid limited banner numbers of Warband would best suit a solution not based on the banner but more like something website related: if you are in a faction list in strategus you got autobalanced with your teammates. That would solve any banners assignment problem, but I don't know if it's tecnhically possible.

Otherwise the awesome chadz helped by the smelly cmpx could do one of their code trick and raise the banner limit.
I trust you guys
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:50:23 pm »
I personally haven't joined a clan because I haven't found an NA clan that flies my banner, and I don't want to have to change my armor (which is also mostly Heraldic). I haven't really gotten involved in Strategus, so I don't know anyone's TS/vent. I just don't have time for Strategus. I never know when I'll be available. Still, I would love to join in some organized cRPG battles. I suppose this feature is nice for clan members, but it has players like me at a real disadvantage. The term "steamroll" comes to mind, and there's no fun in that for me.

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 01:13:49 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Well, i rock so it's understandable that people wanna follow us  :lol: but well it's stupid that people start switching banner only to be balanced on our side, we usually face or play with clans like drz shogunate and pecores ( some say 22nd start doing things but didn't see them yet ) and well it'd be easier for us to recognize each other and to be on the same side if only us could use our banner

so i'd agree for 1st option, following adnecrias system or only for 10+ members clans

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 02:31:42 pm »
I personally haven't joined a clan because I haven't found an NA clan that flies my banner, and I don't want to have to change my armor (which is also mostly Heraldic). I haven't really gotten involved in Strategus, so I don't know anyone's TS/vent. I just don't have time for Strategus. I never know when I'll be available. Still, I would love to join in some organized cRPG battles. I suppose this feature is nice for clan members, but it has players like me at a real disadvantage. The term "steamroll" comes to mind, and there's no fun in that for me.
There's nothing stopping you from trying to organize your team.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 03:16:24 pm »
okay, i may have overreacted a bit, but it diffenently sucks when 1/4 the server is one clan.  :cry:
Pock gobblers

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 03:44:40 pm »
I feel it's quite awesome to have multiple squads working together on the servers, autobalance does a quite good job so far, there was always another squad in the enemy team to balance ours out.

I mean, everyone talks about teamplay and stuff, this is the way how it works. Get yourself a squad, do good, the team will follow you, and you will win.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 03:49:42 pm »
There's nothing stopping you from trying to organize your team.

I have no team to organize, and no desire to lead anyone but myself. I wouldn't mind being in a clan, but I doubt anyone wants a member that won't follow their uniform code. Ever since Warband's beta, I've been kind of a stubborn loner (in regard to clans, not teammates).