Yes
15 (45.5%)
No
18 (54.5%)
I don't care/don't understand
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: July 02, 2011, 05:27:26 pm

Author Topic: Damage bonuses to lances  (Read 1874 times)

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
Damage bonuses to lances
« on: May 03, 2011, 05:25:20 pm »
The early cavalry lancers were using light lances propelled by the strength of the arm. You can see on the tapisserie de Bayeux that knights were using their lances with the arm ready to strike.

Later on in the Middle Ages, with the discovery (or rather importation) of stirrups (the straps attached to the saddle in which a rider positions his feet to have a strong stance), the art of lancing evolved and knights could use their lance blocked against the body, firmly bent on the horse's back to use the strength and speed of the horse to increase the power of the lance attack (what we call couching the lance).

In c-RPG, when a rider uses a polearm attack (LMB attack) from the horse's back, he gets a damage bonus from the speed of the horse (and from the power strike skill, afaik). This results in very powerful attack, with 99% change of killing targets in one hit. Couching the lance is not really used as it is much more difficult to pass and the extra bonus to damage is just not necessary.

However, using the speed of the horse to boost a polearm attack could not (and did not) work IRL because of a simple physics rule. The power that the lance conveys to the target is reciprocally conveyed to the arm holding it. In simple words: a cavalryman holding his lance in one hand could not sustain a hit on an (armored) target without breaking his wrist or, in the better case, losing the grip.

So much for the historical and physical justifications. Here is my suggestion:

- Polearm attack from horse's back should get the damage bonus from powerstrike only. This attack propelled by the rider arm's strength is fast and swift, similar to an infantry attack but from a higher position.
- Couching the lance should get the damage bonus of the horse speed only. Couching the lance is an advanced technique, more difficult to place (no spinning lolstab) but would be the supreme attack guarantying a kill in one hit.

This would prevent cavalry from piling up one-hit-kills with simple polearms attack and would make the couching attacks (and the great lance) worthwhile as they should have always been.

Feel free to contribute but please keep it constructive.

EDIT: added a poll
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:27:41 pm by La Makina »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
Re: Damage bonuses to lances
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:08:28 pm »
Well, a small speed bonus makes sense, since it's also about momentum, but you are right. Though, I don't see a real need to do it.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 06:13:51 pm »
- Polearm attack from horse's back should get the damage bonus from powerstrike only. This attack propelled by the rider arm's strength is fast and swift, similar to an infantry attack but from a higher position.

the severity of a crash/impact is measured by the change in velocity.  The horses speed figures into this velocity, as the weapon is coming in 20-35mph faster than it would have been otherwise

Melee attacks from horseback SHOULD get speed bonus from horse

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:48:34 pm »
The game already reduces the speed damage bonus applied from horseback. Part of the problem you outlined comes from horses being ridiculously fast in c-RPG.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:50:35 pm »
I am voting no, as this suggestion mainly concerns itself with realism as a primary, and game-play as a secondary. If horses were more resilient (As in no 2Her one shotting the armoured one, or even the lightly armoured ones), then I would perhaps consider this, but as of this moment, couching is a lackluster tactic more often then not due to the extreme risk.

Realism is fine, in my eyes, but only if it maintains game balance (real life was anything but balanced, and often boring).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:52:09 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 07:22:55 pm »
You forget one thing; in gameplay terms the stab from horseback can simply be downblocked forever by a skilled infantry player, chance to be blocked/more damage or risk/reward. Couched lance ignores blocks and shatters shields instantly yet is harder to set up and difficult to land on an aware opponent.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 08:49:25 pm »
@Digglez. I get your point. With a lance at speed, it makes sense that there is a speed bonus. However, in our situation the rider does not drop/throw the lance (nor the lance stayed empaled into a poor lad). Holding the lance, the rider would not resist the pressure and would recoil immediately upon impact. Therefore the rider needs to be strong enough (= power strike) to exploit the speed bonus to a certain extent. The speed advantage is capped to a certain limit and this limit is the PS skill.

Above a certain speed, the rider have to couch the lance to effectively transfer the speed of the horse into the lance and deliver monstrous damages.

@ Tears of Destiny: actually I was thinking of game first, the realism analysis came second. Cavalry would probably go more for couching attacks with a great lance (a useless weapon so far) which needs more time to use. They would remain the biggest threat on the battlefield but they might prefer to regroup and charge repeatedly (this would be beautiful, wouldn't it?). A single rider could still harass infantry but he would hardly be able to kill 10 infantry per minute.

@ Seawied. I think the problem in c-RPG is more their excessive acceleration/deceleration and their turning ratio. Horses are really fast IRL.

@ Peasant_Woman. The rider just needs to bump his target with the horse before the attack to make the target drop the downblock.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:51:44 pm »
Fascinating, certainly worth some reconsidering on my part.

This might lend some incentive to use the "Couch-Only" items, besides what they have been relegated to now as novelty items.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:55:08 pm »
This might lend some incentive to use the "Couch-Only" items, besides what they have been relegated to now as novelty items.

I full agree with this point. That is one reason I was a bit excited that directional stab was removed from horseback lancing, (for a day) even though it was pretty annoying. It would be nice to see more 1h swords, great lances, etc. from horseback. Removing the speed bonus from horseback stabbing would be a great way to encourage couch lancing and the use of alternate weapons from horseback.

I won't speak to the realism point because I feel it is far, far less important than gameplay balance.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 10:32:59 pm »
then we atleast want a re-buffed heavy lance!

anyways, my char has a very strong wrist, so he can get dmg bonus from both ps and horse speed

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:52 pm »
The early cavalry lancers were using light lances propelled by the strength of the arm. You can see on the tapisserie de Bayeux that knights were using their lances with the arm ready to strike.

Later on in the Middle Ages, with the discovery (or rather importation) of stirrups (the straps attached to the saddle in which a rider positions his feet to have a strong stance), the art of lancing evolved and knights could use their lance blocked against the body, firmly bent on the horse's back to use the strength and speed of the horse to increase the power of the lance attack (what we call couching the lance).

In c-RPG, when a rider uses a polearm attack (LMB attack) from the horse's back, he gets a damage bonus from the speed of the horse (and from the power strike skill, afaik). This results in very powerful attack, with 99% change of killing targets in one hit. Couching the lance is not really used as it is much more difficult to pass and the extra bonus to damage is just not necessary.

However, using the speed of the horse to boost a polearm attack could not (and did not) work IRL because of a simple physics rule. The power that the lance conveys to the target is reciprocally conveyed to the arm holding it. In simple words: a cavalryman holding his lance in one hand could not sustain a hit on an (armored) target without breaking his wrist or, in the better case, losing the grip.

So much for the historical and physical justifications. Here is my suggestion:

- Couching the lance should get the damage bonus of the horse speed only. Couching the lance is an advanced technique, more difficult to place (no spinning lolstab) but would be the supreme attack guarantying a kill in one hit.

This would prevent cavalry from piling up one-hit-kills with simple polearms attack and would make the couching attacks (and the great lance) worthwhile as they should have always been.

Feel free to contribute but please keep it constructive.

EDIT: added a poll

no.

Constructive?? hmn well i geuss since we lancers still rape everything we are fine..

Also we all rdy got our easy mode back from pure whine after the first patch in between hot fix so maybe keep it up maybe chadz will buff us again seams like it worked the last time  :rolleyes:

FYI: Im lancer myself and i think its fine the way it is i honestly cant see why we need a buff its still easy to rape infantry and archers and other lancers with the current lance the way it is.

If u just wanna 1 hit people just couch them...

Nwm i need glasses  :oops:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:08:07 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 10:49:08 pm »
no.

Constructive?? hmn well i geuss since we lancers still rape everything we are fine..

Also we all rdy got our easy mode back from pure whine after the first patch in between hot fix so maybe keep it up maybe chadz will buff you again seams like it worked the last time  :rolleyes:

FYI: Im lancer myself and i think its fine the way it is i honestly cant see why we need a buff its still easy to rape infantry and archers and other lancers with the current lance the way it is.

If u just wanna 1 hit people just couch them...

you know that he is suggesting a nerf, right...?

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 08:46:02 pm »
What you are basically saying: nerf cavalry damage by removing their speed bonus, giving them worse damage than stabbing on foot, which is just ridiculous.

What are you smoking? The whole point of using that expensive mount is to give you more speed and damage.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 09:53:52 pm »
What you are basically saying: nerf cavalry damage by removing their speed bonus, giving them worse damage than stabbing on foot, which is just ridiculous.

What are you smoking? The whole point of using that expensive mount is to give you more speed and damage.

There are other ways to compensate for this. You could potentially increase the duration of couches to make it easier to use, decrease the cooldown period, increase lance speed back to where it was pre-patch, etc. This might increase diversity in cav playstyle, rather than stab, stab, stab, stab...

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 10:45:52 pm »
There are other ways to compensate for this. You could potentially increase the duration of couches to make it easier to use, decrease the cooldown period, increase lance speed back to where it was pre-patch, etc. This might increase diversity in cav playstyle, rather than stab, stab, stab, stab...
May I ask why? Couching is way too risky to be used a lot, you should know this.
Your suggestion only applies to people wearing plate armour and chargers in singleplayer.
Don't mind the fish.