Author Topic: Shield Collision Detection too small of an area  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Re: Shield Collision Detection too small of an area
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 02:26:49 pm »
At the very least, revert shields back to last patches qualities while its looked into~ plz.  This is a major problem as a good part of using shields IS to block passages.

Hmn... maybe but if they removed night time cycle it would solve this issue straight away
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 06:33:51 pm »
Shield has been really gimped imho.

You can face hug and ghost swing through a shield, the block area has been reduced, heirlooming shields has been gimped, and now they reduced its hitbox again.

Need to do something to shield to make it work properly again, its tiring having your super amazing h4x advantage do absolutely nothing when you need it.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 07:38:32 pm »
Heres a short video highlighting how bad the problem is.  (Sorry meant to do it in higher rez, but whatever)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AIWodyQvq4

Wow ! Thanks for taking the time to do this vid, i didn't know the problem was that bad. Even though i did experience it before, seeing without looking at the opponent's attack is totally different.

I also seem to get hit from the front while my shield is up. The guy walks sideway, and when he start his swing, it's between my shield and me, and it's not blocked, clean hit. Dunno if it's just my imagination though. I'll try to be more aware.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 07:49:44 pm »
Wow ! Thanks for taking the time to do this vid, i didn't know the problem was that bad. Even though i did experience it before, seeing without looking at the opponent's attack is totally different.

I also seem to get hit from the front while my shield is up. The guy walks sideway, and when he start his swing, it's between my shield and me, and it's not blocked, clean hit. Dunno if it's just my imagination though. I'll try to be more aware.
That's because he is hitting "around" your shield. Kinda stupid since the only way to block it is to look to the side, which means he can hit you with any of the other attack directions. And you can't attack back fast enough since sideswings has a limit on how fast you can turn your character when doing them and overheads will most often be too slow/make you not able to turn the camera (and thus character) to the enemy. The way I found to fix this is by never facehugging, but dodging/keeping my range, which makes enemies cry "backpedler!" (even though if I DON'T they call me "facehugger!", sigh) and just trying to keep the range in a sweet spot.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline awesomeasaurus

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Awesomeasaurus
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 09:16:05 pm »
Holy crap, fix it OH GOD FIX IT!

QFT. +1!

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 09:34:36 pm »
+3
this is annoying as hell in random 1v1 fighting as well, the guy i'm fighting will literally warp through meand get a free shot at my back as i try desperately to turn around and face him again  :|

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 01:47:18 am »
+1
Dev's, this issue needs to be addressed asap!

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 04:16:07 am »
+1
Can we get a god damn dev response?
Just a soldier

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 04:19:49 am »
+1
this is annoying as hell in random 1v1 fighting as well, the guy i'm fighting will literally warp through meand get a free shot at my back as i try desperately to turn around and face him again  :|

I've noticed this more myself now too. Not sure if it's lag, hitboxes, or a combination or what.

The other thing I've noticed too is that my 1-hander glances more after this recent patch. This isn't my sword bouncing off some guy next to me. This is during 1 v 1's.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 04:11:53 pm »
+2
I've noticed this more myself now too. Not sure if it's lag, hitboxes, or a combination or what.

The other thing I've noticed too is that my 1-hander glances more after this recent patch. This isn't my sword bouncing off some guy next to me. This is during 1 v 1's.
Same. Compared to the "never-glance"TM 2hs and the "not-glancing-just-reduced-damage-which-wouldn't-matter-anyway-since-the-enemy-is-out-of-range"TM polearms, the 1h really should get a wider "sweetspot" for delivering damage. They are already the shortest and least damaging, why should they be the most glancing too?

We are not talking about DAMAGE glancing, btw, but animation glancing from hitting too early/late in the animation. Considering that you can't turn while swinging (with a 1h) AND you move slow as fuck with a shield, this really is a big issue.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 06:29:34 pm »
Another pain is that the shield counts as a part of your body when it comes to getting kicked. Does this makes sense?

This gives increased range for kicks against shields and since we already need to get close to hit the person I think this should be changed.
Just a soldier

Offline ponyboy

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ponyboy_BRD
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 11:26:33 pm »
bumpp

Offline awesomeasaurus

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Awesomeasaurus
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 08:32:33 pm »
bump for attention from devs/players.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 09:13:01 pm »
+1
While I have seen some of the 'ghosting' when players get near each other, I have not been seeing my arrows passing through shields. I have not noticed that aiming at feet suddenly works more often. From a ranged perspective, I do not see an issue with collision detection. From a melee perspective, I've seen people able to 'bend' their weapons around a shield and hit since Day 1.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 02:36:05 am »
When you get up close and facehug I noticed that attacks chambered can swing through the shield if the weapon is past it already.

Many of these issues aren't a problem for the huscarl shield, however the primary reason for the nerf was that shield, all the other ones were over nerfed I think because of it.