Author Topic: Shield Collision Detection too small of an area  (Read 5316 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Shield Collision Detection too small of an area
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 02:45:46 am »
+2
I was fighting Matey, one of the best NA huscarl users, and I purposefully tried to ghost through him and get a hit.

It worked much better than I thought. He told me that there were times I shouldn't have hit him, and that some attacks hit past his shield.
It's probably worse for a non-loomed lower than 7 shield non-huscarl shield.

I think shielders would have their own niche if it blocked people from getting around them easier.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:46:49 am by san. »

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 08:55:09 am »
Maybe one solution could be that "shield bash" everyone talks about.

Shield bash could do one of two things:
* Knock the target 2 feet backwards
or
* Reduce the target's movement speed to 10% normal for 2 seconds

No stuns or stumbles (like kick), just a way to put the brakes on someone that's trying to ghost through your shield wall.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Grok

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Grok, Queequeg
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 06:23:02 pm »
+3
This is pretty big problem.  I had just retired before the patch so didn't notice it much as I was leveling over the last two weeks -- I was getting wrecked regardless of my shield's functionality. 

However, now that I've hit 20 it's readily apparent what a significant change it was.  I'm CONSTANTLY getting hit through my shield -- attacks that start in front of me during a fight as the player moves towards me are regularly circumventing my shield.  I've even been hit with a few overheads in the last few days with my shield completely raised....this have never happened before.  I'm assuming it's a jump combined with them pathing through me somehow.

The only solution I've found is to completely face my shield to the weapon and NOT the player or to actually stop using the only playstyle (facehugging) that works with my weapon and class by backing away and then darting in after swings.  I have an 85 reach weapon.  This is a ridiculous.

I use a Heavy Kite Shield which is naturally more challenged on the edges, but this is absurd.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 01:27:14 am »
+2
I still don't understand why they did this change to begin with.

Shields break.  Yes, the Huskarl shield was a giant force field but mine, with 6 in shields, breaks regularly enough.  Put me in a situation where I'm having to fend off three 2H spammers and my Huskarl shield will break pretty quickly.  Longbows and throwing axes are threats to shield health as well.  Even with the previous coverage, you could still hit shielders in the side or back.  It was perfect frontal protection, but not side or back protection.

So.... why the change?

Shields were not overpowered.  Shielders were not topping the kill charts on battle or forever blocking all entrances to the castle on siege.  "Tavern Keeper" (a character with 13 in shield and thus a completely unbreakable shield) is one of the most useless people you can have on your team -- whereas someone with 13 in power strike is a serial killer.

This change has caused problems and I don't see the point of why it was done to begin with.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline D_the_Barbarian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
    • View Profile
    • I have no website
  • Faction: none
  • Game nicks: D_the_Barbarian and Millions of alts like D_the_Female.
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 01:32:43 am »
I changed to round shields because of the new collision detection, and there are still problems with getting hit around my shield.
On a similar note, it is imperative to carry smoke bombs. Archers get confused because they're so ineffective that they pause to wonder why, so they end up being as effective as intended.

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 04:31:46 pm »
+1
It's not just that, and this may just be my increasing frustration talking right now but it actually feels like I'm getting "ghosted" through in a way that I can't actually do to other non-shielders.  For example earlier I was against two guys and one pushed up against and went through me, hitting me in the back in the process and putting his teammate right in front of me, so I tried to rush past the teammate and ending up running into the guy at the exact same angle the previous guy had just went through me... I got stopped and couldn't move forward....

Offline Grok

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Grok, Queequeg
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 08:13:21 pm »
+2
Just experienced another "first." 

I guess a thrower who is directly in front of you can now jump while standing 10-15ft away (probably anywhere in the 0-15ft range) and completely circumvent a raised shield over the top.  I was the recipient of 2 axe-throwing headshot deaths a few days ago due to this little wrinkle.  Throwers are usually not much of a threat to a shielder who is facing them, but suddenly they are...at least some threat.

Not worried about throwers getting love as much as wondering what the point is from a shield user's perspective.  Shield's are very heavy and significantly slow our movement speed, especially when raised.  This is clearly the penalty in order to balance having frontal protection and a one size fits all block.  Now that we've significantly reduced shield coverage, why are we not afforded a boost to mobility?  If shields are bad then why can't we get some mobility back?

I just don't understand the change to shields at all...I don't notice shielders running rampant through hordes of 2H or Pole players; I've never seen any stats showing them dominating in any particular category; shields break pretty quickly and when they do we enjoy a healthy stagger; they do not provide universal block coverage in any direction which all other blocking weapons do provide; weapon length; weapon strength...etc. etc. 

There are a ton of balances stacked against shields based on the simple premise that the shield functions as it does...yet core shield functionality seems to have changed pretty radically overnight with no resulting adjustments to the elements that kept shield use in balance.  That's an easy argument for something now being out of balance.  I'm still slow...my weapon is still slow...my weapon reach is still short...my weapon is still weak...

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 11:34:12 pm »
+1
Playing as a shielder is not really viable anymore.

Unless you use huscarl which seems to be the only shield that offers decent protection.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 12:13:29 am »
+1
Playing as a shielder is not really viable anymore.

Unless you use huscarl which seems to be the only shield that offers decent protection.
Agreed. I'm all for the shields only protecting what it actually covers, but when we can't move the shield without moving all of our self, none of the shields are any big AND they slow us so much down everyone can dance around us, it really is too much a bitch to fight with. Still see 2h/poles in plate armour accelerating faster than me, running faster than me and dancing around in combat.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Gricks

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 12:54:16 pm »
+2
Hugging people is very frustrating. Especially when they just glitch through your shield and zoom behind you, or two-handers holding their swings and just hitting your back when they are clearly in front of you. Very frustrating and I beg for it to be fixed.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 01:04:44 pm »
A solution would be to give an extra directionnal block to shielders, because it seems that a tiny sword protect you more than a shield.
For example, an overhead block can block everything (even from behind), try to do the same with a shield, you'll die in a second.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 05:51:45 pm »
This shit is damn annoying, especially when you are fighting a group or a couple of people, suddenly one of them passes through you and you're surrounded... :rolleyes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 06:14:02 pm »
+2
I've been playing without a shield most of the time lately and it's certainly a lot better. I'm faster, swing faster and I'm brushing up my manual blocking skills at the same time.

Btw, did anyone else notice you can't turn as fast with a 1h as you can with a 2h/polearm?

Try doing one of those 360 helicopter stabs 2h's do all the time on the duelserver. You just can't.

With 2h you can turn as fast as you can flick your camera around and for a 1h it seems to be a fixed maximum speed regardless of your mousespeed. I can even turn my camera a full circle and my toon will just turn a quarter, then jump back to neutral because I turned too fast with the camera.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 06:19:51 pm »
I've been playing without a shield most of the time lately and it's certainly a lot better. I'm faster, swing faster and I'm brushing up my manual blocking skills at the same time.

Btw, did anyone else notice you can't turn as fast with a 1h as you can with a 2h/polearm?

Try doing one of those 360 helicopter stabs 2h's do all the time on the duelserver. You just can't.

With 2h you can turn as fast as you can flick your camera around and for a 1h it seems to be a fixed maximum speed regardless of your mousespeed. I can even turn my camera a full circle and my toon will just turn a quarter, then jump back to neutral because I turned too fast with the camera.

YES! People (read, 2handers) called me crazy, a noob and a lier when I pointed this out! Guess they never tried a shield. Finally someone else who is bothered by it.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 12:45:46 am »
I still don't understand why they did this change to begin with.

Shields break.  Yes, the Huskarl shield was a giant force field but mine, with 6 in shields, breaks regularly enough.  Put me in a situation where I'm having to fend off three 2H spammers and my Huskarl shield will break pretty quickly.  Longbows and throwing axes are threats to shield health as well.  Even with the previous coverage, you could still hit shielders in the side or back.  It was perfect frontal protection, but not side or back protection.

So.... why the change?

Shields were not overpowered.  Shielders were not topping the kill charts on battle or forever blocking all entrances to the castle on siege.  "Tavern Keeper" (a character with 13 in shield and thus a completely unbreakable shield) is one of the most useless people you can have on your team -- whereas someone with 13 in power strike is a serial killer.

This change has caused problems and I don't see the point of why it was done to begin with.

no shield bash, has been suggested before so do not bring it up- This needs to be investigated and analyzed so the Devs can get a good look at it

Maybe Walt can help us?
Just a soldier