Author Topic: New to cRPG and I feel like im doing something wrong  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Giftednarwhals

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
New to cRPG and I feel like im doing something wrong
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:51:50 am »
+1
Well im new to Mount and Blade and cRPG (got it on the steam sale a few days ago)
While i love the game in native modules i do decent. When im on cRPG i do SOOOO bad
I know i dont have the best stuff but even after some time and investing in certian shields and such i still am doing terrible. i feel like im missing some huge feature or something. is there some major beginning tip that i missed? i know how to spend points and buy things. but is there a certian way i should distribute points or such. idk what im doing wrong but it just feels like there is something. Any help at all for a beginner would be appreciated and Some quick tips especially

Offline 1011010010100100111000101

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: New to cRPG and I feel like im doing something wrong
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:57:41 am »
You need power strike for 1 hand or else your weapon will not pierce armor, also strategically using 1 hand is hardest to kill in general, for me at least. Since it requires more hits, also try to be offensive, don't let your shield break.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 06:09:59 am »
+1
What is your build currently? I highly suggest you right now to use the 'skip the fun' feature and do instant level 30 characters. I have a bunch of builds in my thread [http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,9160.0.html] if you want a good starting point for something very effective. If you have a particular playstyle, request a build to fit it and i'll get you one that does it perfectly.

I also want to note that the skill level can be very high in CRPG, but everybody makes mistakes and nobody is god.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 06:15:32 am »
+1
Some players are very good. This is the first thing to know. Don't mistake gear or stat allocation for talent.

This is something that every new player needs to know, and probably repeated. When I was new and constantly getting my ass handed to me I was always looking towards getting some new gear or next level for stats so I could become good. Well that never happens if you keep expecting gear or the build to transform you into a good player. The main thing is to be humble and realize there is a lot you need to learn all of the small nuances that make the melee combat in M&B.

Best way to learn these things? Watch someone good who uses your type of style. Watch how they maneuver in combat in crazy ways. Most new players fall into only going forwards and backwards when squared off with an opponent. Watch good players move in weird S type patters that throws you off. Go into the duel servers when they have some people and ask about how to do new things you see. You said you have a shield, a big thing successful shield players do is to get right into people's face and try and get around them. Don't try to dart in and out of melee rage, let your shield take a hit and get right on someone's grill while trying to get behind them.

Use the skip the fun feature to go right to level 30. Play around with a bunch of different styles/builds. Don't be afraid to delete it and start again because you lose some gear, it doesn't mean shit if you aren't meshing with the play style.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:19:32 am by Beans »

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 06:39:51 am »
Well im new to Mount and Blade and cRPG (got it on the steam sale a few days ago)
While i love the game in native modules i do decent. When im on cRPG i do SOOOO bad
I know i dont have the best stuff but even after some time and investing in certian shields and such i still am doing terrible. i feel like im missing some huge feature or something. is there some major beginning tip that i missed? i know how to spend points and buy things. but is there a certian way i should distribute points or such. idk what im doing wrong but it just feels like there is something. Any help at all for a beginner would be appreciated and Some quick tips especially

Having an effective build is very important in c-rpg.  Check out http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm to play around with some ideal lvl 30 builds.

As Marathon said if you just started try 'skip the fun'.  You get to level 30 immediately but only get one char that you can keep resetting.  Great to give a sense on what works/doesn't work for you before you make a 'real' character and start fresh as a peasant.

Otherwise just keep practicing.  Awareness is key in some of the larger c-rpg battles.  The '~' key is a godsend.  Spectate the top players when you die, and give the duel server a shot to see different strategy.

A quick tip: often delayed reaction can lead to death.  If you block a swing you better be ready to attack right away otherwise the enemy will likely swing again and catch you mid-swing.  I see a lot of new players hesitate in this way and it often gets them killed.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline BDF92

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:25:33 am »
im feeling the same way, i bought if off the steam sale but im always getting owned. im using a 2h with a good build, but blocking is so hard. it takes me 2-3 hits to kill other 2h and those same 2h will 1 hit me :(

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:39:18 am »
+1
im feeling the same way, i bought if off the steam sale but im always getting owned. im using a 2h with a good build, but blocking is so hard. it takes me 2-3 hits to kill other 2h and those same 2h will 1 hit me :(
You'll get better :). We were all like that once, where those few kills were amazingly satisfying. I suggest opening up native, launching the tutorial and fighting the tutorial trainers in sparring. Don't swing back, just block. Just focus on blocking the correct direction, moving your mouse not at angles and not too far. Control. Work on your control until you can block for 2 minutes. Watch when their swing animation begins, look at the enemy character's arm and shoulder movements, not the weapon itself. You'll quickly be able to tell which swing they are doing the fastest and block the right way.
Then show up and you'll murder everybody before you know it! Swing as soon as you HEAR the block sound. That is the key. Try not to tap block or rely entirely on your eyesight. Hold until you hear their weapon bounce off your block or held attacks will kill you.

Once you get blocking down, which you will fairly quickly, focus on footwork. Step right when you swing from the left so your attacks hit faster, etc. When you see them step after they swung, Swing from the side they are stepping into and you'll hit them so fast and get that beautiful speed bonus as they hurl themselves onto your sword.

Never hesitate, ever. Hesitation is death in all video games, especially here. Always remain relaxed and level headed, getting crazed, mad, confused, etc will tilt you and you'll play worse than you are.
 Getting attacked by three people at once? Relax, clam down and watch where they are swinging, block them and step in ways that only one can swing on you and the rest will hit their teammates and so on. Best of luck my friend.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:48:11 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:58:47 am »

Blocking takes MONTHS to get GOOD at.  You can use a shield for your first month and get a good feel for weapon ranges and timing.  Help box in or distract enemies for your teammates.  Not using a shield is putting alot of unneeded frustration for a new player

Offline Freland

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Freland
  • IRC nick: Freland
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »
  • Do not expect to win one on one if you are low level and a new player. 
  • Try to stay near other people so you get in situations where you outnumber the enemy. Even better: Try to stay near people who all have the same banner - these guys are often in the same clan and do some kind of organized tactics.
  • Focus on getting in peoles back and backstab them.
  • Use the left-to-right or overhead swing on your one hand weapon to aim for the enemy's head. That way you cause much more damage and don't bounce of the armor even with low power strike.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:28:08 pm by Freland »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

each time you click the button, crpg gains popularity :D

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 02:47:05 pm »
(click to show/hide)

You will have to play for many hours, before manual blocking will start to pay off. If you like reading, take a look at these posts. It will help with 2h and manual blocking "theory":

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,3466.0.html

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1545.0.html

I would strongly recommend you to begin a new career with 1h + shield. If you can add a light crossbow to this set-up, you will be effective with less effort and stress.

And dont skip the fun to 30. :) Just dont.
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 03:04:12 pm »
Blocking takes MONTHS to get GOOD at
Oh cmon...

Offline BDF92

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 08:43:30 pm »
thanks for the replys guys, i probably should have gone 1h and shield come to think of it :o so i guess when i retire ill go 1h and shield. is it ok to go cav with 1h and shield? or should i be infantry? also is there an item that would be good to heirloom that is universal to all classes? if i dont like 1h and shield i would hate to have a heirloom item.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 08:46:07 pm »
thanks for the replys guys, i probably should have gone 1h and shield come to think of it :o so i guess when i retire ill go 1h and shield. is it ok to go cav with 1h and shield? or should i be infantry? also is there an item that would be good to heirloom that is universal to all classes? if i dont like 1h and shield i would hate to have a heirloom item.

if you have absolutely no idea what you are doing, Heirloom Chain Mittens as virtually every class will use them, though I personally would consider Black Wisby Gauntlets as I find my self using them on every class I have (even archer), but I am strange like that...
Well... Actually I don't think I have ever used them on my cav to be honest...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 10:16:26 pm »

you dont have to wait til you are 31 to redo stats, you can use the 'respec' option which will drop half of your xp and let you re-allocate points, its very handy.

Also I would avoid cav until gen3, when you have a firm grasp of ground'n'pound.  Also it costs alot and you prob have shit for money unless someone twinked ya.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 10:20:00 pm »
Yeah, avoid cav if you are new. Especially 1h.

Lancers, and experienced 1h cavalry will eat you for breakfast.

Also being cavarly requires a lot of gold to maintain your horse, and your equipment.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!