Author Topic: Angle check  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Angle check
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:20:27 pm »
+1
If the point of your weapon is more than 45 degrees away from where you began an overhand/thrust attack, then it whiffs for no damage and no interrupt. This will eliminate the "180 thrust spin" and the "Overhand spinning crushthrough".
If you have positioned yourself properly in melee, the opponent shouldn't be able to spin their mouse around to cover 360 degrees around them using what is supposed to be a specific directional attack,
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
Re: Angle check
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:17:01 pm »
+1 to this.  I am sick to death of being "piked" at point blank from a thrust spin jumper (you know who you are..... Dasty)

The 360 degree kill arc on a stab is ludicrous
Even if this effectively nerfs the overhead slash for 2H, it is still a better solution than the current combat situation

The only other thing I am in awe over, is the whole pike situation where you are effectively inside a pikers guard, and yet he can thrust and kill you even though the point of the weapon is somewhere six feet behind you.  the kill spot for those particular polearms is just insane and seems to encompass the entire length of the weapon.  And no one thought this was a problem when they were testing these??
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Elric_de_Melnibone

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 03:06:05 am »
I agree and support this.

Including the pike comlaint of the post above mine.
- What can change the nature of a man?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:11:56 am »
But not sideswings, only thrusts/overheads? I like freshly grilled bias.
Especially considering sideswing turns are the most effective of the attacks, and when used correctly you can swing twice before someone can swing back after a block if they don't turn fully into their attack too.
Yep, totally just thrusts which can't do that and overheads which can't do it either.

Totally agree with you man, only nerf stabs and overheads. sideswings is the only thing that should be able to kill.

Don't take it the wrong way, I don't mean to insult you. Just pointing out the huge flaw in your point.
Also 45 degrees is really small, especially when you consider ~30 degrees of rotating your body into a thrust in real life gives it the most power. The problem is 120 degree plus turns.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:18:37 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:21:02 am »
I agree with Marathon here. It would also eliminate stabs of any kind really. When you're fighting with a 1-hander, really the only way you can hit the other person with a stab is to turn into them. Otherwise you'll whiff.

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 03:23:03 am »
Well, I automaticly applied his idea to sideswings as well, at least in my mind.

He didn't particulary LIMIT his suggestion to stabs, now did he?
Of course 120 degree & + are the main problem, no matter with what kind of attack.

And the pikes... well you -should- be safe once you're past the point end. That wooden stick alone is not going to do much damage at that angle and distance.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 03:32:54 am »
The pike, not the long spear, won't clip any enemies within 2 feet of the user. the next .5 of a foot will only glance. So, if you do get close to a person using a pike, even if they are the craziest spin stabbing bro in the game, they can't hit you. Just don't let go of your W key! relentlessly push forward! There is a minimum range on the pike, go use it and see for yourself!

The long spear can hit point blank though, which does make sense since they do pull the point almost all the way to their body at the beginning of the thrust.

Another point on spears, from a realism perspective, is you don't have to hold the spear all the way back. You don't in 1 v 1 combat if they do close in on you. You move your grip closer to the pointy end so you effectively make it a shorter weapon. Ever played Billiards?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:34:39 am by Marathon »
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 03:43:34 am »
No, but I played with spears and against them.

Yes, you can switch the position at which you grip a spear.
But really, at a certain distance, it becomes very hard to handle and defend yourself.

Real-life fact.

Not a balance fact, mind you.

It's good to hear that the pike has a minimum distance, but those spins still are ridiculous.  :P

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 03:48:46 am »
No, but I played with spears and against them.

Yes, you can switch the position at which you grip a spear.
But really, at a certain distance, it becomes very hard to handle and defend yourself.
That is when fights go into grappling and finishing takedowns anyways if they do get that close, regardless of the weapon.

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 03:51:33 am »
Not necessarily.

Hitting with your guard or pommel is very effective at exactly the distance I'm talking about, just before the bodies touch and the grappling starts. Long weapons with a staff as base are not effective at that range.

But that's not the topic, is it?

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 07:02:35 am »
I agree the the spin stab for spears and the down slash spin are a bastard.

The thing I find most frustrating is not getting any feed back from the animations. With other attacks even the spin stab there is an amount of telegraph but with the downward spin the person misses and then hits you moments later. After the stroke has been complete the power of the strike should drop of significantly but as it stands, they hit your feet and flip the turtle for massive damage. I've been one hit by it at high lvl, twas amazing, stupid hammer.

Also add fly kicks, FLY KICKS!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 07:24:52 am »
I imagine its not as easy as you would think because no modder has done this yet.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 03:37:04 pm »
The combatsystem allrdy is simple the general speed allrdy got slowed done from what its was once....

Dont get me wrong, but the things that get mentioned here keep the melee interesting somehow, as unrealistic they may seem...

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 04:18:23 pm »
The combatsystem allrdy is simple the general speed allrdy got slowed done from what its was once....

Dont get me wrong, but the things that get mentioned here keep the melee interesting somehow, as unrealistic they may seem...
I have to agree with this 100%.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 05:04:26 pm »

I think you are wrong. Footwork is a huge part of melee combat. It takes skill to maneuver yourself so that you can step to the side and behind another player when he starts his massive overhand smash. It is less than interesting for that player to negate that skilled footwork and overcome their own lack of timing by simply spinning their mouse around. Same thing for someone who thrusts at you and misses, but can then turn the smooth haft of their spear into your side and do damage as if they just shoved all of that right through you. Its like throwing a punch, missing, and then rubbing your arm against their face. It doesn't knock people out.
Footwork should matter. This change will remove the str builds ability to negate the agi builds natural advantage.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln