Author Topic: Shield Speed??  (Read 5329 times)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Re: Shield Speed??
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 01:34:38 am »
yeah I have never noticed any difference with or without a shield regarding swing speed.  I think it's just placebo effect that people think you swing faster with your shield on your back.

The benefit to taking the shield off and blocking manually is:
-manual block is immediate unlike shields (dependent on shield speed).  If you are dueling and a good manual blocker this might be preferable
-you can block after a failed kick, whereas you have a brief period of vulnerability if you miss a kick as a shielder

New question that I've wondered about: Does shield skill > 100 have any effect? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I've seen that loomed shields can sometimes go over 100 and I was unsure if that has any use.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 03:54:08 am »
+1
New question that I've wondered about: Does shield skill > 100 have any effect? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I've seen that loomed shields can sometimes go over 100 and I was unsure if that has any use.

My guess is no. WAY back when I was testing shield speeds by editing the in-game values it wouldn't even run if you put a shield speed over 100. My guess is that 100 speed = manual block speed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 03:23:13 pm »
I did a couple gens with a +3 Heavy Round Shield (87 speed), then switched to a Brown Lion Heater (96 speed, mine is +2 now, so 98 speed).

The difference, as far as I can tell, is that with the 87 speed shield, if I fall for a feint, I can't recover fast enough to block. Whereas with the 98 speed shield, if I fall for a feint and drop my block, it's no big deal, I just block again before they hit me.

The devs should add more shields in the 94-96 speed range (like the Brown Lion). They loom into being near max speed, but don't pay a hitpoint premium for their speed like the Knightly/Elite Cav.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:24:27 pm by Phew »

Offline engurrand

• Psychopath
  • Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Trifecta
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:49 am »
Maybe only the shield raising animation speed is unaffected, but the time to when the shields actually block arrows/attacks is affected.

proof?

Meh... works in my mind, works pragmatically... Board sheild is slow as fuck and i can never block. I like to block right when the swing is coming, rather than RMB my life away...

I noticed, very easily, that the faster shields are faster to block.

Dont think the animation is effected, but the time at which u can block..

Similar to my idea about WPF and swing animations... Dont think WPF increase the number of swings you can do in x time too much, but it does increase the "Speed" of the swinging... like the blade through the air... not the rate at which you can attack again.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login