Author Topic: how to truely balance cavalry  (Read 4404 times)

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
how to truely balance cavalry
« on: July 02, 2011, 07:42:11 pm »
i tend to read a lot of terrible suggestion on how to balance Cavalry,A LOT. So i thought id throw a suggestion out there, see the way i see it most people hate the fact that cavalry are good on horses and off, so if you make it some how to where cavalry cant get athletics, or at least 1-2 I'm sure we would see major decreases in cavalry doing great off horse back. Now its not to much of a nerf, but if every player knew they could back peddle or archers knew they could out run them then im sure getting dismount would be a much greater disadvantage to most players who get equal athletics as they do riding. How to implement this? well not too sure... maybe make a thing where you have to pick your class on the website, then it limited your points you can put in?Infantry,Archer,Calvary. Not really going to affect the others just Cavalry.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:44:01 pm by tankmen »
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
Re: how to truely balance cavalry
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:04:45 pm »
+1
there should be at least some weight penalty for them, as they use riding equipment..

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:07:31 pm »
If there are a lot of "terrible sugestions" around to balance cav that only mean a thing. Something is wrong with cav.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:14:27 pm »
Ugh I disagree
As cav im already a flimsy agility build
With lack of athletics over 2, I will become a flimsy agi build that is slow.
Besides theres alot of hybrid inf/cav builds such as myself out there. Theres no problems with dedicated cavalry builds doing well on foot. Therefore I see no reason to touch them.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:44:53 pm »
Cav builds have less health and points to spend for combat skills than infantry.  They also pay an obscene amount of money each round to use the fragile instrument of their build.  Cav are not OP as a class, though the plated charger may be a bit OP as an individual horse.

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:09:28 pm »
Cav builds have less health and points to spend for combat skills than infantry.  They also pay an obscene amount of money each round to use the fragile instrument of their build.  Cav are not OP as a class, though the plated charger may be a bit OP as an individual horse.

The plated charger isn't OP at all considering it is a massive money sink that not even a x5 can save you from.

Also I agree, cav is already very poor off the horse due to spending points in riding and agility. People putting their points into athletics just do it so they can also run around when they get dehorsed or play on maps that are very cav-unfriendly. If people couldn't put points into athletics and put it again into agility and more riding, actually increasing the problem most everyone is complaining about.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:39:00 pm »
just make the horse LOUD AS FUCK so they can't troll around catching people unaware like stealth bombers

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 09:51:59 pm »
+1
just make the horse LOUD AS FUCK so they can't troll around catching people unaware like stealth bombers

Stealth bombers are loud as fuck, you can hear horses from anywhere on the map, the problem is you are always hearing horses.

The problem is sound isn't really well done in this game and horses will be ontop of you before you actually hear them. Making them louder would only make you shit your pants whenever a teammate comes up behind you after spawning in.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 09:55:57 pm »
Stealth bombers are loud as fuck, you can hear horses from anywhere on the map, the problem is you are always hearing horses.

The problem is sound isn't really well done in this game and horses will be ontop of you before you actually hear them. Making them louder would only make you shit your pants whenever a teammate comes up behind you after spawning in.

i would rather shit my pants than get backstabbed  by some gay cav.

And no, i can't hear horses from more than 20 meters away, this is ridiculous. There have been times when i'm walking to the battle, i hear a horse, turn around, and get impaled by a lance. I should be shitting my pants hearing the loud thundering hoofs of a 400 pound animal, Its ridiculous how quiet these horses are.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 09:57:27 pm »
and someone just gave me a - awesome point. Fuck you cav lover

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 10:09:40 pm »
I played without sound for two months and, though horses were certainly my most dangerous foe, they were by no means overpowered - even against a deaf guy.  Keeping your wits about you, knowing where to keep yourself on a map, and finding good anti-cav maneuvers for your specific build are generally sufficient defenses against cav.  Even when one focuses on a target, even to the exclusion of taking quick glances about for sneaky horsemen, one can often predict where and how cav are maneuvering around you based on the movements of your opponents and teammates.  By the end of my deaf period I'd started bringing a bamboo spear, moving primarily next to walls, and had become proficient in the anti-cav 1h sword stab.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 10:39:35 pm »
and someone just gave me a - awesome point.

The pro-pony lobbyist are very sensitive individuals. Every 48 hours my awesome bar drops by one. I think I have a friend  :lol:
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 10:52:21 pm »
When cav are to your left or to your right, you can hear them decently, but if they're directly behind you, you can barely hear them at all.

The problem about sound is that it doesn't get loud enough when they're close to you, and it can be indistinguishable to cav on your left/right that are on the opposite sides of the map.

Often times,I have to look behind me when I hear even the faintest sound of a horse. They may be far behind me, or right up on me.

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Red_Pike/Oriental_Red
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:50 pm »
Moar stupid suggestions. Great.
I demand special mount for DRZ clan - War Bear. 400 hit points, 50 armor, 50 charge attack (claws + teeth) ftw! Leave cav alone already. If you're too weak to fight off cav - delete your char and go play some tetris. Whiners. OMG i was killed! It's OP! Fock it! Nerf nerf nerf! Noobs :D
Cool, now i am gonna have "-" awesome bar :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:02:01 pm by Felix »

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:01 pm »
Yeah, let's nerf cav by making them less effective when dismounted.
Great idea, totally unbiased.