Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Recent hackings  (Read 38195 times)

Offline Ashrik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LOTS AND LOTS OF JOLLY KNIGHTS LOTS AND LOTS OF JO
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Ashraa
Re: IMPORTANT: Recent hackings
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2011, 10:30:01 pm »
Bird clan was just a joke on BRD btw they all are in same TS

why not just own the hacking, it will win you points over on SA forums anyhow
Whoever makes a lame bragpost to "own the hacking" on SA would almost certainly be banned and we would be the better for it. Haha what makes you think SA would care what we do with our pretend internet knights game?
I am Uhtred_III_of_Bebbanbawler.

I answer to no man.

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2011, 10:35:31 pm »
Also 2 EU Risen members got their characters deleted.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2011, 10:41:59 pm »
+1
Honestly I have never before seen Tears be emotional and make an irrational post like this.

Eh, now I feel bad...

:/

Regrets regrets regrets...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2011, 10:43:49 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2011, 10:45:59 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Best pic I have seen all day, love the expression  :lol:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2011, 11:04:19 pm »
these hackers are noob

no one hacked my account when my password was "siiem" for 5 months

8-)

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2011, 11:04:55 pm »
To be fair, I, and most people I play with are guilty of thinking ATS is full of retards just because of how retarded Ecko sometimes behaves.

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2011, 11:13:55 pm »
+2
I still maintain my decision to make hellowrold ambassador of BIRD CLAN was the correct one and we stand behind him fully.

BIRD CLAN
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour

Offline hellowrold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • proud republican
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2011, 12:15:16 am »
we BIRD's gotta stick together

Offline Gildiss

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Goldline.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 04, 2011, 01:11:30 am »
Now Ecko wants to take away our freedom to look at everyone's alts.

Watch the other hand America.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 04, 2011, 02:01:03 am »
It's always funny to read dozens of pages of NA players discussions. I know most of the nicks from this forum but I don't know about most of the relations and structure so it looks like a big mess. This is actually more interesting than most of the EU drama as I want to learn about the NA community a bit.

I guess it's funny for NA players to read EU drama threads too.

On the topic, I think Ecko should at least make some public apologies. That never hurts anyway.

I do think the main people responsible for this are ofc. the hackers but then the devs for having a very poor security policy. The auto-detection of new alts when people connect with different nicks is a security fail in itself. No need to have a site with alt names to exploit it. Sure it made things easier for hackers but the char creation shouldn't work like that in the first place. When everything will be fixed and the char creation system changed, everyone will likely forget about this. Afaik no one quit the game because of this yet (wiegraf said he's leaving but not because of this). Admins are working hard to give back what was lost, just be patient  :?.

Offline SHinOCk

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 58
  • Is that all you've got!?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 1%
  • Game nicks: Occitan_SHinOCk, Occitan_Baz, Derp_In_A_Can, Disease_Infested_Cum_Bucket, The_Long_Dick_Of_The_Law
  • IRC nick: SHinOCk
« Reply #176 on: July 04, 2011, 02:10:50 am »
theres no apology needed at all lol The only ones that are to blame are the prepubescent assholes that had so much time in their hands that they needed to screw honest players.

I would also say that if at the very beginning we had all our current and future toons under the same password (like in every other damn game) things like that would not happen. So please ffs stop shitting on the head of the people that tries to bring something to this community and start putting  your dirty fat fingers on the real problems in this game... Mainly all the trolls and the way alts where bound to the main characters with or without a separate password O_o, not the one who brought the security flaw in the light w/o even knowing it..
While you burn at the stake, i dance with the flames

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #177 on: July 04, 2011, 02:52:18 am »
Holy shit people had their accounts deleted? Fuck that sucks. I was one of the goons who got hacked a few weeks back and now I guess I'm lucky because they 'only' stole my looms instead of also deleting my guy.

I think the idea of people getting hacked because they had an unpassworded alt is probably the case. I know I had like 6 alts and I can only remember the password for 5 of them so I bet I had one without. I know goretooth said he didn't have any alts but I know I've seen him with an archer alt, but that was a long time ago.

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA CRPG Admin
  • Game nicks: Ecko_ATS
« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2011, 03:13:40 am »
Holy shit people had their accounts deleted? Fuck that sucks. I was one of the goons who got hacked a few weeks back and now I guess I'm lucky because they 'only' stole my looms instead of also deleting my guy.

I think the idea of people getting hacked because they had an unpassworded alt is probably the case. I know I had like 6 alts and I can only remember the password for 5 of them so I bet I had one without. I know goretooth said he didn't have any alts but I know I've seen him with an archer alt, but that was a long time ago.

No that was in fact Goretooth. He used to go melee one gen archer another to grind money

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #179 on: July 04, 2011, 03:22:14 am »
As a programmer who's had to deal with security risks, I feel pushed to give my own input. While this is hacking that require minimum effort, it's still hacking. Hacking is all about exploiting security faults. In this case, the security faults were so huge that the hacking was made easy.

As far as Ecko making alts visible to other players, that's just a reasonable feature. The problem comes from the true security fault in the way account passwords are managed. When I first had to log into crpg, I asked my friend who introduced me how to figure out my password. When he told me it would be whatever password I entered when I first logged in, I actually laughed cause I thought he was joking. In my mind, there was no way passwords would be set by whoever enters login information first. To this day, I am still baffled by the truth. And then during this hacking incident, I figured out that rather than alts sharing the same password, they're all set in the same way. Not only that, but they're connected to all your other characters and your passwords for all characters can be set from any character. Any security analyst would have had a fit if they had a say in that setup. Ecko's alt visibility feature may have made this huge security flaw more abusable, but any reasonable analyst could hardly blame him for this incident.

However, there's one thing that I read earlier that I can't ignore
I still maintain my decision to make hellowrold ambassador of BIRD CLAN was the correct one and we stand behind him fully.
Are you serious? My mind is telling me there's no way anybody could be so stupid that they fully support a known and confessed hacker who ruined the game for multiple individuals so this has to be a joke. But then again, my mind also told me there's no way anybody could leave a security hole in a login system so large that any random person could set your password as long as they known your name. While I couldn't agree with a server admin banning a whole clan for the actions of one individual, I wouldn't criticize them negatively for banning anybody would could seriously follow such a line of thought. But if you're being sarcastic, I just don't know you well enough to tell.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:23:23 am by Dehitay »