Author Topic: 1 time useable lances  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
1 time useable lances
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:31:29 pm »
I suggest adding1-time useable lances. You use them just like a normal lance, but if you hit, you let go of the lance and it sticks in an opponent like a throwing lance.
This is actually howw they used lances, when they started using lances, it was just a stick with a flag and banner attached to it. Then they thought: if we carry the stupid stick with the flag, why not use it as a weapon. Acctually it is very weird that in this game lances don't have a flag on the pole of the lance. (The above developement is ofc. Simplefied)
In real life, you cant use a lance multiple times. That's because you can't thrust through ones body as in-game. A horseman usually had a lance(with his/his lords banner), a shield and a onehanded weapon. The lance was used in the first attack, when the lance would hit the target and penetrate it's body they would let go, switch to their other weapon and fight on.

So, it's logic, not OP, not a new animation or somethin needed and a really cool addition to the mod.

Video how lances were often used:
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F%3Fgl%3DNL%26hl%3Dnl&hl=nl&gl=NL#/watch?v=XHCpoCSUbW0 (first part is the most interesting)

What stats should it have? I'm thinking 1 slot, not sheathable and couchable, about the rest i don't know.

This idea would be a good sidearm for 1handed cav so they put a bit of wpf into polearms. And most of all, more interesting stuff
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:41:53 pm by Berethorn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline IDrownFish

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: 1 time useable lances
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:54:08 pm »
 I concur with 1 time usable lances.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:04:47 am »
So why would 1h cav pick the 1 time use lance if they can just pick the normal lance with the correct sword/shield combo?

Offline IDrownFish

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:17:00 am »
He is saying that ALL lances should break or be unusable after the first hit. Making it alot easier for infantryman not getting killed by cav in the first 15 seconds.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 12:22:07 am »
That would make the cav useless. We're talking balance here, not realism.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 12:25:27 am »
make breakable lances, with 50% chance to break, make lances 1 slot in this case. Anyway its much better than throwing lances atm.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 11:54:12 am »
He is saying that ALL lances should break or be unusable after the first hit. Making it alot easier for infantryman not getting killed by cav in the first 15 seconds.
i'm not

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 12:50:09 pm »
http://youtu.be/H1c_IRxWRmM?t=8m29s

Edit:
I just only show that this is possible. I'm neutral in this topic.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:31:17 pm by Kalp »
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 04:09:51 pm »
No thanks, this has been suggested over and over and it doesn't fit the gameplay mechanics.  We don't have squires to bring us fresh lances.  If you make lances break, you will need to make all weapons be able to break.  Why can't I cut through the shaft of your great long axe, for example.  It doesn't work with the current engine's physics/settings.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 04:38:47 pm »
He's suggesting to add 1-times lances, who could used 1 or even 0 slot, and had better damage than the normal lance (else useless), and i see so many peoples just saying "no, else make all items breakable", etc...
Can you guys read carefully before posting your usual rage, pretty please ?

On another note, i'm pretty sure this idea is hard-coded, and impossible to add without WSE. And it would be a lot of trouble for not much thing. So, i'll be neutral, but heading to a steady No.

On a clarification note, thoses lances could be used, for example, for a 1h/cav, who would want one 1-hit lance when facing his first cav opponent. A succesfull hit would mean instadeath for the ennemy's horse, thanks to speed bonus, Ps, and huge base damage. Such a weapon would need to use 1 slot though, and not be cheap. For balance sake.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 04:39:04 pm »
No thanks, this has been suggested over and over and it doesn't fit the gameplay mechanics.  We don't have squires to bring us fresh lances.  If you make lances break, you will need to make all weapons be able to break.  Why can't I cut through the shaft of your great long axe, for example.  It doesn't work with the current engine's physics/settings.

Thats not true. We could introduce those lances like throwing weapons. If you equip one you get a stack of 5 lances you can use.
That would be like a squire bringing you new lances.

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »
personally i like this idea I would use it on my one handed cav if it was added because its annoying when you have people on a champion Arabian warhorse with a MW heavy lance who can stab twice in the space of 3 seconds, and im on my 1h cav im out ranged and doomed so this lance would add balance i think to the game and im sure lots of other 1h cav would use it also.
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 07:55:44 pm »
No thanks.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 10:54:53 am »
He's suggesting to add 1-times lances, who could used 1 or even 0 slot, and had better damage than the normal lance (else useless), and i see so many peoples just saying "no, else make all items breakable", etc...
Can you guys read carefully before posting your usual rage, pretty please ?

On another note, i'm pretty sure this idea is hard-coded, and impossible to add without WSE. And it would be a lot of trouble for not much thing. So, i'll be neutral, but heading to a steady No.

On a clarification note, thoses lances could be used, for example, for a 1h/cav, who would want one 1-hit lance when facing his first cav opponent. A succesfull hit would mean instadeath for the ennemy's horse, thanks to speed bonus, Ps, and huge base damage. Such a weapon would need to use 1 slot though, and not be cheap. For balance sake.
thank you for saying what i really ment :)
But further, don't think a stack of them would be reasonable, then we'll get throwing lance uber damage complaints over again, but my idea is that they don't "break" but you let go of the lance as in the vid. Because of such a blow you can't hold it. I don't want to criticise the current way of lancing, but i want to ADD(not replace) a new feature to the current system.

Back to the lances themselves:
They should be more like spears then the lances we currently have(or like the light lance) they should be faster then the average lance, a bit shorter(my opinion) and do a bit more damage(otherwiae it would be pretty useless). Furthermore, couchable, un-sheathable and 1 slot. The 1 slot would make it more attractive as a sidearm, because 1handed cav have a slot left, and because it's fast not alot wpf needed to perform decently. And you can't equip 4 of them because of the un-sheathablilety. So no spam, only really usefull as a side-arm(more attractive to play 1handed cav, which leeds to more cav variaty, which a lot of people want) and not better towards the existing lances.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 11:03:15 am »
I like the idea, only if we kept all other lances.

But then why would anyone use this if they could keep the others? Maybe if it was 0 slots. After all, 1 kill really isn't a lot.

Plus if you replaced all lances (not saying you're necessarily suggesting this), then it would be a bit sucky for balance.