Author Topic: So about that banner balancer........  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Frederick_Von_Spamberge, and >9000 alts.
So about that banner balancer........
« on: January 13, 2011, 04:38:49 am »
+1
Something really needs to be done to limit the amount of people that can be on one team because of the Bannerbalance.  I can't even bring myself to play on the 80 man ATS run server anymore, every single round is dominated by all the ATS guys stacked on 1 team.  Its like its their own private grind server.

Maybe once every 10 rounds or so the side without all the ATS guys will win, and thats just not fun when you get stuck on the other team.  Hats off to the ATS guys for thier coordination, but I think if they want to all be on the same team they need a clan only server.

And I know the first guy that responds is gonna tell me to join a clan and/or "just coordinate with your own team".  Sorry but I don't have time for a clan, every clan I've been in has always had way to many politics, I get enough of that in RL.  And someone please explain to me how I'm supposed to "coordinate" with my team.....I've tried, its like herding cats.  Also don't assume that just because I'm not in a clan I don't want to/try to be competative, I'm not a casual by any means.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:44:27 am by Keltesh »

Offline Viceroy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shihan, Valgard_the_Grim
Re: So about that banner balancer........
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 04:44:53 am »
"Herding Cats" ...  That is the perfect analogy  :)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:48:46 am »
And there we have it.  Every build, weapon, item and playstyle has been done to death.  Now on to "NERF TEAMWORK!!!!"

Thanks OP, made my night :)
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:48:57 am »
Sometimes its even like herding angry wet cats......all they do is hiss and scratch at you.

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 04:49:39 am »
And there we have it.  Every build, weapon, item and playstyle has been done to death.  Now on to "NERF TEAMWORK!!!!"

Thanks OP, made my night :)

Grow up a bit and at least try to make a counter argument.

EDIT:  And its not about teamwork Gorath, like I said, I applaud you ATS guys and your teamwork.....but how are the rest of us supposed to combat that?  If the answer is "join a clan", well then maybe the server should be made clans only and passworded.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:51:31 am by Keltesh »

Offline Thomas Dixon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Order Of The Lance
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order Of The Lance
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 04:50:59 am »
+ 1

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:59:36 am »
Something really needs to be done to limit the amount of people that can be on one team because of the Bannerbalance.  I can't even bring myself to play on the 80 man ATS run server anymore, every single round is dominated by all the ATS guys stacked on 1 team.  Its like its their own private grind server.

Maybe once every 10 rounds or so the side without all the ATS guys will win, and thats just not fun when you get stuck on the other team.  Hats off to the ATS guys for thier coordination, but I think if they want to all be on the same team they need a clan only server.

And I know the first guy that responds is gonna tell me to join a clan and/or "just coordinate with your own team".  Sorry but I don't have time for a clan, every clan I've been in has always had way to many politics, I get enough of that in RL.  And someone please explain to me how I'm supposed to "coordinate" with my team.....I've tried, its like herding cats.  Also don't assume that just because I'm not in a clan I don't want to/try to be competative, I'm not a casual by any means.

"Herding cats". Interesting.

But my response wold be that clan members aren't always on the same team, and autobalance tries to do its job regardless. However, they are often on the same team. But think about it: If you're in a clan, you want to be paired with your mates, instead of random people all the time. There's really no solution, aside from waiting for it to be tweaked a bit. Although I have noticed that just because certain clans (excluding the mercs) don't always win when paired together. If you think about it, it's no worse than the old autobalance, but it just makes clans happier.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 04:59:58 am »

EDIT:  And its not about teamwork Gorath, like I said, I applaud you ATS guys and your teamwork.....but how are the rest of us supposed to combat that?  If the answer is "join a clan", well then maybe the server should be made clans only and passworded.

Well you've already made up your mind that you don't like, nor want to hear, the answer.  The answer is organize, group together and work together efficiently.  Yes, you have to use teamchat, unless there's someone offering a public vent server.  Yes this makes it difficult.  Yes you might want to join a clan.  If you don't want to be in a clan and/or don't like clans why is it the problem or fault of those clans that are successful and populated?  Every FPS game has clans, and almost always those clans stack their members.  Otherwise what's the point of the clan?  We could all just be some large facebook group.

You know when ATS is all on one side that on the other side you have all the DL guys?  All of the BRD guys, the Hospitaller guys, etc.  ATS on one side and often all of the other clan groups on the other.  Follow those guys since they'll probably be grouped together and working as a team as well.  Contribute to THEIR clans success and cause our clans demise.

You say grow up, but it really is a matter of "nerf teamwork".  The banner balancer is the single most epic addition to the game.  Do you have any idea how much it sucked balls through all of cRPG previously to never get to work with your clan-mates?  We weren't the only clan to comment on it either, most every clan felt the same.  We're in a clan to play/work together when we can.  Sure killing each other is fun, but it's far more fun to work together with your mates.

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:17:15 am »
Otherwise what's the point of the clan?  We could all just be some large facebook group.

Usually to compete against other clans in organized events.  Why does an entire clan have to be on one team together in a casual pub game?  The half of ATS on one side can employ teamwork against the half of ATS on the other side.  You're still playing with your teammates, just not all at the same time.  Pub stomping is frowned upon in every online game.

This isn't an issue I feel strongly about, personally, but it looked like that response was needed here.

I'd love to see a free-for-all deathmatch server for crpg.  Just make the multiplier a universal x1.  When team balance is pissing you off, go there.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 05:20:03 am »
This explains why Gorath says everything is fine with 52k equipment.

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 05:20:25 am »
Usually to compete against other clans in organized events.  Why does an entire clan have to be on one team together in a casual pub game?  The half of ATS on one side can employ teamwork against the half of ATS on the other side.  You're still playing with your teammates, just not all at the same time.  Pub stomping is frowned upon in every online game.

This isn't an issue I feel strongly about, personally, but it looked like that response was needed here.

I'd love to see a free-for-all deathmatch server for crpg.  Just make the multiplier a universal x1.  When team balance is pissing you off, go there.

This.

Minus the free-for-all mode.

EDIT:  To answer you Gorath......I haven't seen any Hospittalors on now that they have the 100, and LLJK is all on thier server.....BRD never has more then 3 guys on as far as I've seen.  Its like a 24/7 ATS pupstomp.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:22:38 am by Keltesh »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 05:21:56 am »
Ok, so we shall turn the 80 man and siege server into clan vs clan only servers then.  Sounds like that's what you're asking, so I can't find any fault in it.  No idea how to do this except PW it and only give the PW to clans.  Pubbies don't get to play if that's what ya'll want.

*You do know that ATS guys get put on the opposing team anyways, regardless of the banner balancing.  There's always one or two of us on the opposing team, if not more, every round.*

The only clan vs clan option previously was strategus, which lags so bad it's unplayable for some of us.  We had no banner balance previously, and frankly it sucked always being stuck with pubbies instead of your clan mates.  If we can turn the server into clan vs clan only then that's fine, but I don't think ya'll really want that.  I understand that ya'll think it's unfair to have 8 clanmates all on vent on the same team while you're in the pubbie group, but it sucks just as bad to be in a clan on vent but stuck with pubbies flailing about in the game as well.  Honestly they can get rid of the banner balance and we won't stop playing, but it'll go back to every man for himself john rambo style if we're all just stuck with pubbies all day again, which isn't nearly as enjoyable as working as a team.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:28:31 am by Gorath »

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 05:24:01 am »
Ok, so we shall turn the 80 man and siege server into clan vs clan only servers then.  Sounds like that's what you're asking, so I can't find any fault in it.  No idea how to do this except PW it and only give the PW to clans.  Pubbies don't get to play if that's what ya'll want.

*You do know that ATS guys get put on the opposing team anyways, regardless of the banner balancing.  There's always one or two of us on the opposing team, if not more, every round.*

Gorath before you go getting your panties all in a bunch, this is more about the balance system in place then you ATS guys.  I think you are a great bunch of guys to play with.....just not when you're all on 1 team pounding the shit out of the server.

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 05:26:24 am »
I haven't seen too much clan team stacking myself.  I was just responding to your points.

I do, however, find that the autobalancer is unbeleivably aweful, and teams are rarely balanced.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 05:29:25 am »
Its like a 24/7 ATS pupstomp.

Well what's it like on the LLJK server, or the Hospitaller server?  Do they not use the banner balance?

Gorath before you go getting your panties all in a bunch
They're not in a bunch, I'm just sighing at the "Clans suck, don't play together" stuff.  It's the same as in every FPS since clans started forming and organizing.  Clan works together on the server, the unclanned guys feel picked on and think it's bullshit, and noone is ever happy.  Granted in cRPG there isn't a server for each clan out there like in most FPS's, but generally it's always the same.  You load up (insert FPS here) and look at the server list and pick which clan server to play on, once inside you see if you get put on the same team as the clan that runs the server, if not you do your best vs an organized squad and either deal with it and have fun, or feel it's unfair and quit to look for another clan server that hopefully has less members online at that moment.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:33:51 am by Gorath »