Author Topic: Other Worthy Games?  (Read 14099 times)

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
Re: Other Worthy Games?
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2011, 12:06:53 pm »
Grom. Terror in Tibet.  :)

(click to show/hide)
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2011, 11:56:37 pm »
If you like Diablo-styled RPG-s, Try Divine Divinity. It's a masterpiece.
(click to show/hide)

Game can be a bit glitchy, but the atmosphere and the wonderful soundtrack sucked me in instantly.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:58:22 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2011, 12:57:33 am »
Instantly fell in love with Magicka.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2011, 02:27:03 am »
Ah.. games and lists. The bane of my life.

I'll list some of my underdogs. Games you might not know, but are excellent.

Su-27 Flanker: (v.1.5 i believe was the best one)
1996 russian flight sim. Very accurate, and cool, only 1 aircraft. You can program whole battle-environments with SAMs and ships, and strike groups. Fly over Crimea and have relatively realistic dogfights.. Or just set up scenarios. Very very cool game with crappy graphics.

Also check out Flanker 2.0, bit bug-ridden but much better gfx, more units etc.

Il2 Sturmovik series
Hands down best wwII combat flight sim I know about. Also russian developer. My favourite aircraft was the FW-190. It models how bullets ricochets inside aircraft, if there is a hole in the radiator etc. You can manually work on the engine control with a shot-up plane.. Also has a huge amount of flyable aircraft and... It's also mp-online!

Panzer General 1994
Great great strategy game. Very simple, with a bit daunting graphics because at first glance all the units look the same. Anyway, if you feel like winning the war for einstein this is it. (Civ 5 stole the whole tactic system, and was released, what a month ago? 17y later..)

Transport Tycoon/Openttd
Online train and transport network building. Becomes boring after you built your first 12 track station, some huge junctions, getting supplies from all over the map on your interconnected transport network. (Some people go on with creating supercomplex junctions, regulating pulses of trains etc, but that's for the extreme nerds..)

I'd really like to hear about more great, deep and unknown games though!

I care about games, and find them extremely interesting to study. There are so many, I guess even unexplored possibilities as a new medium. They are even very hard to describe, dunno if there is even existing terms for defining what they are as they encompass art, storytelling, puzzles, reactions, films, interactivity and competition. I'm studying film and even that is extremely complex and difficult material as it encompasses most of the other mediums. Well games encompasses film again, and multi player games encompasses single player games..

Game-designers are the Artists of the future. (Hear that chadz? Know where your responsibility are!)

Anyway.. cRPG is the new shit for me. Much more complex mechanics than 99% of shooters, demands quicker reactions, judgement and knowledge, and after banner balance, opens up for teamplay on a new level, even mimicking historical strategies. And it gives me kicks. No game since.. I dunno, has given me that.

See for me the good thing is not the graphics or if things are "historical" by nature. I care much more if the game somehow simulates a battlefield with it's advantages and con's, teamplay and tactics. Trying to balance between that and internal game-balance. (Reason for my change-cav post)

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2011, 10:08:11 pm »
+1
I assume everyone on the planet saw this, but still:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVuuyRGB_BA
After twelve fucking years, it should be.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline Wewa

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Wewa
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2011, 10:18:03 pm »
Star Wars Galaxies. By far The BEST online game ever.

Offline Ledrion

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GROO / Gothic / Thunder Grunt
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2011, 08:07:01 pm »

My vote for best online game ever (mmorpg):
ultima online (uor started downhill destroyed with the trammel expansion)
 graphics where 2d and nothing compared to eq but sandbox gameplay trumped all.
  have played some player run shards but still will never be the same. ever.

online race game:
motor city online - sure had its problems but still a great game that is no more.

A great game still going but haven't played in long time
World War 2 Online - i think its battleground europe now
  air sea land battles with real physics engine.
  enjoyed this game for many years until joystick gave up and haven't replaced.

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2011, 10:48:50 pm »
+1
I got into Dwarf Fortress again, with a bit of success this time. All is fine and all, great game, BUT:
I wanted to go for more battles, building impenetrable fortresses with no real challenger was not fun for long. So I started at a haunted location - and got ripped to shreds by werewolf with my random team, before I could even train any soldiers. I was thinking- hey, what if I actually set up my team instead of the basic ones? Like, have at least one capabler fighter instead of a fisher and fish cleaner, a wardog instead of a fucking camel, things like that.
I set up my squad, barely touched the inventory (nothing beside the camel-wardog thing). Now my game crashes every time I want to embark with that team. Works fine with random guys though.

What did I mess up?

Offline Ache

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2011, 11:10:25 pm »
Titan Quest and the addon Immortal Throne.
Dont understand why nobody knows this game. The multiplayer is nice and there are many funny mods.
The only problem is that 90% of the TQ player are cheating.  :rolleyes:
But anyway,it is a really good game and it is sad that there wont be a second TQ.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2011, 11:58:24 pm »
Risen
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2011, 12:32:04 am »
I got into Dwarf Fortress again, with a bit of success this time. All is fine and all, great game, BUT:
I wanted to go for more battles, building impenetrable fortresses with no real challenger was not fun for long. So I started at a haunted location - and got ripped to shreds by werewolf with my random team, before I could even train any soldiers. I was thinking- hey, what if I actually set up my team instead of the basic ones? Like, have at least one capabler fighter instead of a fisher and fish cleaner, a wardog instead of a fucking camel, things like that.
I set up my squad, barely touched the inventory (nothing beside the camel-wardog thing). Now my game crashes every time I want to embark with that team. Works fine with random guys though.

What did I mess up?

That's quite baffling.  I would make a bug report for that.  DF is known for plenty of bugs and... err... unintended features... but is also credited with very very rarely actually crashing.  It's never crashed on me.

I would also suggest the Fortress Defense mod for a challenge.

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2011, 01:14:30 am »
+1
Also, it was nice and fluid for a while, but today, it became very-very laggy. I looked at the task manager, and DF was using 1 GByte of RAM, and 50% CPU capacity. That's a bit harsh, is that normal?
I deleted my older, (how to put it nicely) less successful regions and saves, restarted my PC, and still slow as hell. Haunted maps take up that much more hardware horsepower or what?

Hm. There are two harpies on level 2419. I'm on 140. Maybe handling 2300 levels is a bit much for the CPU.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:20:26 am by Ishar »

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2011, 01:28:45 am »
Risen

Risen is pretty decent, it could have been a fantastic game, but bugs and other bad stuff ruined some of the experience.
(although i did run it three/four times :P )

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2011, 02:01:24 am »
+1
Risen is pretty decent, it could have been a fantastic game, but bugs and other bad stuff ruined some of the experience.
(although i did run it three/four times :P )
Hardly any bugs I've seen. Especially after Gothic 3 - now that's a fuckin annoying game. Still beat it 3-4 times, these guys can really design a game, even if the actual coding is messed up to say the least.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2011, 03:41:42 am »
Titan Quest and the addon Immortal Throne.
Dont understand why nobody knows this game. The multiplayer is nice and there are many funny mods.
The only problem is that 90% of the TQ player are cheating.  :rolleyes:
But anyway,it is a really good game and it is sad that there wont be a second TQ.

i bought titan quest but i just felt like "meh" while playing it

i had played a lot of diablo 2 previously and it just didnt seem to be as good and there was nothing new

i think i was sick of having a full inv every 5 mins too

I like Divine Divinity a lot. I always used the 2 handed sword you get near the castle that is a lil overpowered.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:43:04 am by RandomDude »