Author Topic: Strategy against Mallet/Maul?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline yian

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Yian. Telomerase.
Strategy against Mallet/Maul?
« on: June 27, 2011, 04:21:46 am »
Hello all, long time c-rpg'r but this is my first post.

I have been having trouble with my setup against the knockdown effects of a mallet/maul. Their reach extends well beyond my 1H sheild/warhammer killzone, and when I get close enough I get knocked down if I miss the first hit.

I recognizable that footwork is important in avoiding the first blow, but other than ranged weapons, if you see a maul wielding stranger coming straight at you: What do you do?

Cheers.

Offline Reyiz

• Count
  • Renown: 235
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Smell of Money
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rainbow
  • IRC nick: Jewianna
Re: Strategy against Mallet/Maul?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 04:25:29 am »
just spam while moving backwards

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:28:34 am »
your right swing (the swing from the right towards the left) has more reach than all of the crushthrough weapons. You can always get the first hit in the fight that way.
The right swing from a onehanded weapon adds a lot of length but takes a while to hit, and by using that you make sure they don't get first hit [and possible crushthrough on you].

After you have hit him (or made him block), spam left swings at him while facehugging. Attack first and keep attacking even when he blocks, only block when you see them do a side swing. If they try to overhead you, you will always hit them with your left swing and kill them even if they block then swing.

happy hunting.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:02:18 am »
your right swing (the swing from the right towards the left) has more reach than all of the crushthrough weapons. You can always get the first hit in the fight that way.
The right swing from a onehanded weapon adds a lot of length but takes a while to hit, and by using that you make sure they don't get first hit [and possible crushthrough on you].

After you have hit him (or made him block), spam left swings at him while facehugging. Attack first and keep attacking even when he blocks, only block when you see them do a side swing. If they try to overhead you, you will always hit them with your left swing and kill them even if they block then swing.

happy hunting.

^^this.

Once you get good at it those match-ups will be hilariously easy for you. The only time I worry about someone with crushthrough is if they brought a friend with a pike.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Iggore

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:01:13 am »
Also Reapy one of the greatest players in M&b has a guide on how to beat Crushthrough and just a great video in general with tons of useful tips
http://youtu.be/L9jHcZjWw9U?t=4m

Incase you don't figure it out.. she tells you to kick people who use mallets.. because they're really slow... and let them charge you but I mean there are other methods...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:03:03 am by Iggore »

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:36:40 am »
The above posts have great suggestions, but to add one point in:

You could use heavy weapons to block their crushthroughs (Not exactly sure what the prerequisites on the weapons are)

I've used Long Hafted Spike Mace to block a several crushthrough attacks from a mallet.

It's stats:
(click to show/hide)

And my shield can block crushthrough from mauls, but not mallets. (Maybe it has something to do with the weight? If someone would give a link and clarify this would be nice for me, too!)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:41:41 am by Kenji »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:41:34 am »
Spam and circle around him, usually works.

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 01:00:03 pm »
Yeah speed usualy works, but in some case you can't spam if the guy parry you and strike back which is a win for him.

In a duel it's not that hard but if they're is another guy with him, you should prepare to die...

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 01:57:06 pm »
Yeah speed usualy works, but in some case you can't spam if the guy parry you and strike back which is a win for him.

In a duel it's not that hard but if they're is another guy with him, you should prepare to die...

I usualy go on the offensive vs mauls, mallets I can block just fine.

Make them stressed, and force them to use those sideswings^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »
The thing is, fighting any melee + a mauler, alone = sure death. Even more than random melee + pikeman.

1v1 against mauls are easy though. Even for onehanders. Fighting a good 18/21 long maul guy can be tricky at best.

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Red_Pike/Oriental_Red
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 06:09:11 am »
Footwork is very important (you have to get as much athletics as you can). Mauler is like a big train - he can't really maneuver. Slide to sides and strike him down. Jump around if you can't avoid him - or just run away. If you know for sure, that you can't kill him (tough armor, skills) try to distract him from crushing your teammates as long as possible.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 08:42:54 am »
Footwork is very important (you have to get as much athletics as you can). Mauler is like a big train - he can't really maneuver. Slide to sides and strike him down. Jump around if you can't avoid him - or just run away. If you know for sure, that you can't kill him (tough armor, skills) try to distract him from crushing your teammates as long as possible.
If you follow my fighting guide, you will always counter him so he can't crush you. They have no chance to overhead. Practice it :)

if it is a 2 on 1? Well, back peddle to split them apart, the mauler should be slower. Try to engage them one on one as with any 2 on one. Always kill the crushthrough user first.
 A good rule of engagement is to block the non-crushthrough weapon as you step into then attack the crush through user, works 90% of the time :D. only do that though if you can't separate them.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 11:46:02 am »
When not being able to step out of hammer range, always try to initialise a follow up attack when the hammerguy blocked your first attack - to interupt his counter attack. Switch to blocking if the hammer does a side swing, continue follow-up attack if it's a(blockcrushing) overswing. Don't use thrust attacks unless you are sure it's not going to be blocked. The attacker stun will allow the hammerguy to land his overhead when he blocked the thrust.

In other news keep in mind that facehugging closely often allows to block hammer overswings because of the sweetspot mechanic.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:49:15 am by Paul »

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:19:39 pm »
Its not that easy, good hammerguy in heavy armor can cause a glance by good footwork and you are dead man.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 03:31:38 pm »
Its not that easy, good hammerguy in heavy armor can cause a glance by good footwork and you are dead man.
you've got time to hold your attacks for a slight second. I rarely glance, and if i do, it is my fault of bad footwork on my end not good footwork on their end.
True though if you are an agility character and you glance on a plate mauler... Dead.