Author Topic: Why Polearms stab so much faster than 2h swords???  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Renay

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Every Clan, but mostly Ninja!
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Renay
Re: Why Polearms stab so much faster than 2h swords???
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 10:37:00 am »
Slowing down gamespeed? NEVAAAAA.
Blackbow is a bad admin,he once told me sandfriend It broked all my desire from the game/forums,i felt devastated,horrible don't know how to fix it.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 10:37:32 am »
i personally think that 2H and polearms are balanced... 2H is usually best when you're standing alone and especially in duels, while polearms are better support weaps and better for spamming in large groups.

The 2Hs have animations that allow them to feint very well, thus confusing the opponent which results in a hit.
Polearms can't do that, wich is why they aren't as good for 1 on 1, but they are very ncie as support weaps because of the range (and stab dmg)

Regarding the stab, i also think that it's balanced (even tough it wouldnt matter if it wasn't, as long as the weapons are balanced overall.)
The polearms (some of them) has better stab dmg, yes... but why is that? it is because of the way polearms are held (both irl and in-game).
Where 2H's are held on the handle, polearms are held with one hand at the end of the weap and the other almost half the way up the weapon. That results in the wielder being able to handle the long weapon better, but it also allows the wielder to thrust harder, thus giving more damage.
The downside of holding a weapon this way, is the short range because you hold almost half the way up the handle - and that is why 2H's actually outrange polearms, which is also why stabbing as close range is easier with polearms.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 02:05:55 pm »
This discussion will never end.

2H is ownage.
Polearms are as easy now.

Remove/ lower the stun of PA...with the current balance it has no right to be there.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 06:57:17 pm »
If you decrease efficiency of polearm stab, weapons like the awlpike or the forks will never be seen on the battlefield again. I guess you could then remove those weapons entirely, to make room for more 2h swords maybe...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 07:02:26 pm »
For an unknow reason (to me), it is over 9000 times harder to block 2 handers than polearms.

On the other hand, polearm swings often hit before the animation really begins.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 09:13:58 am »
For an unknow reason (to me), it is over 9000 times harder to block 2 handers than polearms.

On the other hand, polearm swings often hit before the animation really begins.
You just aren't noticing it as much with 2h because it is harder to see at times. You can do what is called "hiltslashing" with both weapons, where when you are point blank facehugging you will do damage before the rest of the weapon actually swings by hitting them with the hilt (base of the weapon hitbox). It is supposed to glance but often does not.
I purposely do it with 2h all the time because it is easier to do with your character's arms extend the weapon further from your body. lol animations.
...there is actually a way with 1h to do it where you actually bump them like a kick with the attack animation and they can't block it. I saw somebody abusing it one day and went to figure out how they did it. Good luck figuring that one out, the enemy has to walk into you or not move to do it though.

Hiltslashing explanation picture, as from above the fight. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:21:23 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 10:32:24 am »
You just aren't noticing it as much with 2h because it is harder to see at times. You can do what is called "hiltslashing" with both weapons, where when you are point blank facehugging you will do damage before the rest of the weapon actually swings by hitting them with the hilt (base of the weapon hitbox). It is supposed to glance but often does not.
I purposely do it with 2h all the time because it is easier to do with your character's arms extend the weapon further from your body. lol animations.
...there is actually a way with 1h to do it where you actually bump them like a kick with the attack animation and they can't block it. I saw somebody abusing it one day and went to figure out how they did it. Good luck figuring that one out, the enemy has to walk into you or not move to do it though.

Hiltslashing explanation picture, as from above the fight. visitors can't see pics , please register or login

All of this is very true, +1 nicely done :)

As for defending against hiltslashes, practice^^

I found that I took a major leap as a duelist when I stopped thinking "block-attack-block-attack-block-attack..." and instead started to evaluate each situation on it's own.

Wow, this was an useless post xD

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 04:32:44 pm »
It seems to me that 2H stabby polearms are excessively fast. I'm not talking about a bardiche or a bec de corbin but things like spears, forks and pikes. There are few complaints because there are relatively few dedicated users of them, but I've found it very difficult to avoid being spammed to death by the sort of 2h spear users who gaze at the floor, spin round and round and just spam a variety of stabs, overheads and slashes. Unless you have the reflexes of Spider-Man, you have basically a 25% of blocking because there isn't time to gauge what's coming at you before it hits. I've not noticed the same thing happening with sword users, not even the faster swords like katana or longsword. The animations do just seem to be faster.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 04:47:40 pm »

I bolded the important part. It's what get's me killed the most when fighting on my shielder. A 2h (mostly) does a sideswing, immediatly followed by another sideswing in the other direction while running to my side.
What I used to do was block the first hit, then step into them as I hit back with a standard left-right slash from my speedy 1h sword. They would glance/bounce most of the time or I would hit them first.

Nowadays everybody and his mother is a strength build and people generally wear less armour to protect themselves. Hiltslash with 7+ PS, MW weapon vs mail armour suddenly doesn't bounce anymore.

Now I have to block twice before I can hit back or I will just get myself killed by getting hit before the actual animation starts.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 05:02:48 pm »
The 2Hs have animations that allow them to feint very well, thus confusing the opponent which results in a hit.
Polearms can't do that, wich is why they aren't as good for 1 on 1, but they are very ncie as support weaps because of the range (and stab dmg)
I find it the other way around. Polearm animations seem way faster in my opinion. I don't know what it is, but for example the long hafted blade and the warspear seem just shitfast. Try fighting someone with the 95 speed warspear and then someone with the 96 speed miaodao. Feints and attacks with the warspear seem way faster in my opinion. I have used the warspear for half a generation and I always heard complaints about its speed, while it is only 95.

Polearms have a faster stab, but its also way shorter. The main advantage of the 2h stab is its long range. People are more scared of you with a 2h cause they know that the stab can cross quite the distance. The polearm stab is only slightly longer than it swings so the range so people can come closer to you safely. Also polearms arent that much longer. A long hafted blade is about the same length as a Danish Greatsword swing wise and the DG stab outranges every attack of the LHB.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 05:15:53 pm »
2hands have a two phased stab, which gets me sometimes.
It looks that their stab is already finished, while the real stab follows right after the build-in feint.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 05:58:04 pm »
2hands have a two phased stab, which gets me sometimes.
It looks that their stab is already finished, while the real stab follows right after the build-in feint.

Yeah, someone stabs at you, the blade is fully extended allready and then you slightly hit the tip when you step in to hit back.

BOOM

You're dead.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 09:37:59 pm »
The "lolstab" is (no pun intended) a two edged sword, though: if you thrust and don't kill or don't even hit, you are stuck in that animation for up to a full second, unable to defend yourself at all.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 09:50:58 pm »
The 2h blocked stab stun is a bit too much, I agree.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 10:25:57 pm »
The 2h blocked stab stun is a bit too much, I agree.
All weapons stun the same duration of time after a stab based on weapon speed. No matter if it is pole, 2h, or a 1h.
If your weapon speed is faster, you're stunned for less time. for example, the heavy lance with 65 speed when thrust-stunned is stunned so long that people can overhead you before you can block.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:40:27 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.