Author Topic: cRPG curse (crashes problem)  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Dumertone

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: iFail
cRPG curse (crashes problem)
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:53:59 pm »
Hello every1!
I'm gonna tell ya a story of my relationship with this mod.
I'm not gonna lie if I say that I'm one of the oldest fans of cRPG (bought M&B WB as soon as it was on sale + checked caravanserai ever since, so even if I missed it right away, it was not a long time)
I witnessed and experienced all of imbas and whines ( ridiculous autobalancer, OP of all sorts (do ya remember billion of archery being OP threads? lol), OP cavalry, and so on) and always knew that bright future await cRPG.

But, strangely, my longest playtime of this mod was on its first release. Then, after about two weeks of playing it, I GTXted (like a lil girl, lol) coz I realized how much screwed up my build was and how long it will take to raise another character, when autobalancer was sort of an as****e and enjoyed staging "peasants vs knights" battles. Let me remind you, that gold and exp gaining was different back then, and in bad days I did get next to nothing (losing team gets tiny % of gold\exp bonus)

Why is that? What kept me from enjoying this mod after tweaks have been made? I tell ye what. It's cRPG CURSE

1) My first attempt to pick up cRPG (coz after playing other mods I realized it's the only way I wanna see MP in WB). Everything was fine (even autobalancer was tweaked so situations like before, when 100 barefoot bums were fighting 60-70 better equipped footmen were much more unlikely), I'm happy and in good mood (with rare occasions of bad mood during unlucky AB staging) play for like 1 week. And when I'm almost on reached my top, DATABASE WAS WIPED. Now I understand it was inevitable (too much tincans for lower lvl chars to feel confortable), but back then I GTXted.

2) Second attempt. Mod was tweaked even more in better way, I decided to create an archer (coz it was OP at that moment, lol). Lvled up, bought better equipment, as usual, and then SUDDENLY MASSIVE ROLL BACK (not wipe, just rollback in exp (not sure about gold), but exactly period before it happened was time of mine most intensive playing, so it did hit meh hard) and ARCHERY NERF (so my build was kinda screwed as some requirements we changed). Needless to say I GTXted.

3) Third attempt. Tried to raise a footman when smth in database (as I understood it) gone wild and there were matches when ppl spawned WITH NO WEAPONS OR ARMOR (excluding ones who picked smth up in previous match). I think a lot of ppl remember those brawling days, lol. It was funny at first, but then got frustrating (ppl with weapons spoiled the fun), so I decided to put cRPG until later, and soon enough there was another big update (+ wipe); Soon after that item upkeep was implemented, and, after reading on forum about naked ppl running around just to save money , I decided to stay away from cRPG until things get fixed.

So, you get the idea. Every time I try to pick up cRPG (coz I love it as a mod and I love the community, coz it is friendly enough and good to have fun in-game with) smth happens, that denies my progress and makes me angry\upset. Obviously there's no1 to blame, and it's only my bad luck (like rly BAD) to re-join right before update\wipe. So I called these situations cRPG curse.

But the most sadistic harvest it reaped on my most recent attempt to pick up cRPG. Everything was fine, I was happy with new  web page, autobalancer, exp\gold system, everything (I was like "That's IT!!! Now I'm playin'"), when SUDDENLY THOSE CRASHES STARTED. You probably know what I'm talking about - there are ppl like me crashing on joining server and the only way out is to join via Native (but then there for some strange reason will be no faces on some chars - only white spaces + crashes on mapchanges)
I need your help, ppl. I searched the whole forum on this topic, and nothing helped me (reinstalling, low res texture pack, nothing). But I decided not to run away this time as the mod is golden (meh, with new gold\ exp system and healthy upkeep feature even wipes wouldn't scary me). I feel that I'm next to breaking this curse and enjoying this mod as I should have been long time ago.

All in all, things I'd like to see in this thread among responses:
1) Possible reasons of these crashes
2) Possible solutions.

P.S
Didn't post this in tech problem subforum, coz I figured this curse story is funny to tell.

Thank you all in advance.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
Re: cRPG curse (crashes problem)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:57:56 pm »
You could also try to disable the "new faces"
( change load_mod_resource = meshes_face_gen to load_resource = meshes_face_gen in the module.ini file. )

That fixed it for me. All the faces are very ugly though.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:09:17 pm »
It's because of the faces, like Saint said. You can also run native, and join a crpg server from there. You'll not crash then, but the (new) faces will be all white.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Dumertone

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 03:20:05 pm »
Thank you for advise, but it didn't help. Crash again.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:17:53 pm »
Try the cRPG Optimization pack made by Segd.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,6967.msg108140.html#msg108140

This worked for me, No more crashes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Gingerpussy

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 251
  • Infamy: 224
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Gingerpussy
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:37:52 pm »
Best advice is to buy a new computer mate. if you followed CRPG from start that means your computer is over 1 year old i recon.
If you cant afford a new computer there is allways ppl selling used ones.

Anyway i hope some other advice wil help you but this is the best and fastes to do.

Offline Dumertone

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 04:54:41 pm »
Try the cRPG Optimization pack made by Segd.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,6967.msg108140.html#msg108140

This worked for me, No more crashes.

OMG it worked :D
Thank you a lot.

Best advice is to buy a new computer mate. if you followed CRPG from start that means your computer is over 1 year old i recon.
If you cant afford a new computer there is allways ppl selling used ones.

Anyway i hope some other advice wil help you but this is the best and fastes to do.

lol thnx but this can't be

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 04:56:07 pm »
OMG it worked :D
Thank you a lot.

Well, Segd made the LoD-s, he's your hero. I just linked it.  :wink:

I'm glad it helped you.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!