Author Topic: Miscellaneous off-hand weapons  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Largg

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Miscellaneous off-hand weapons
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:02:34 pm »
Hi,

Since no two handed wielding aka. Drizzt-mode will not be implemented because of historical inaccuracies, could miscellaneous items be included for off-hand? Used with 1-handed weapons, misc. items could be for example a torch, a banner or perhaps even a severed enemy head!. This would mean no use for them in battle but to look cool and perhaps even give some light to the dark nights or scare the opposing team's peasants :).

If possible, I'd love to have dagger in the offhand too. Not for same kind of fighting mechanic as the main weapon but perhaps a simple swing or stab that could replace the kick move. This would make some sense using daggers too.

- Largg

Offline Lisandro

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lisandro
Re: Miscellaneous off-hand weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:07:19 pm »
It would be nice, but u can't parry a kick, so the "alternative stab" is a little bit op.
The torch or the flags is still a nice idea, but not usable like shield i guess

ps your avatar is very viscid
Aspirans Aeterna

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 01:08:30 pm »
+1 to severed enemy head offhand

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:20:01 pm »
Was just seeing a thread about having banners and some people where arguing that it would make one of the fighters useless. If it could be used in the off hand while using a 1hander in the other would fix this. Not sure if we would be able to block with the 1hander though, but with the WSE that could be possible. I say we do this (and I will automatically change to a 1hander :D)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:01:23 pm »
i'd love this! having an enemy head in your hands which is covered in blood(maybe throw it at your enemies? :o) but what i think is best is having a heraldic banner of your own that is just awsomeness!!!

will for example a bamboo spear be counted as a 1hander? because then you can have a spear and an offhand weapon. cool too! maybe even a lance and a banner on horseback!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 07:02:09 pm »
"Dual-wielding" has a lot of interesting potential and could be implemented in a couple different ways.

1) LMB controls left hand, RMB controls right. No blocking, only chambering. Potential to attack with each weapon in two different directions.

2) Both weapons attack on RMB and block with LMB. The main hand weapon can attack from the direction mouse is swung, the off-hand weapon swing direction can be linked to different mouse swing directions (Move mouse up - main hand overhead swings, off hand swings to right. Move mouse to right - main hand swings to left, off hand overhead swings, etc.). Basically, the off hand's attack direction is still determined by different mouse movements, but offset from the usual mapping.

3) Main hand does swings to left and overheads, off hand does swings to right and thrusts. Each weapon blocks respectively.

4) Additionally to the methods above, pressing "x" could change the stance to make the off hand into main hand and the main into off.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:04:10 pm by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 07:03:55 pm »
"Dual-wielding" has a lot of interesting potential and could be implemented in a couple different ways.

1) LMB controls left hand, RMB controls right. No blocking, only chambering. Potential to attack with each weapon in two different directions.

2) Both weapons attack on RMB and block with LMB. The main hand weapon can attack from the direction mouse is swung, the off-hand weapon swing direction can be linked to different mouse swing directions (Move mouse up - main hand overhead swings, off hand swings to right. Move mouse to right - main hand swings to left, off hand overhead swings).

3) Main hand does swings to left and overheads, off hand does swings to right and thrusts. Each weapon blocks respectively.

4) Additionally to the methods above, pressing "x" could change the stance to make the off hand into main hand and the main into off.
or like suggested here(if you read properly) no use for off-hande at all, just amazing awsomeness!!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 07:05:58 pm »
It could be purely aesthetic, but why stop there?

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 07:16:27 pm »
or like suggested here(if you read properly) no use for off-hande at all, just amazing awsomeness!!!!

:lol:

+1

NO DUEL WIELDING!

Off-hand aesthical torches and heads might be cool, but I imagine you might run into some problems when it comes to blocking.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 07:20:24 pm »

+1

NO DUEL WIELDING!

Off-hand aesthical torches and heads might be cool, but I imagine you might run into some problems when it comes to blocking.
Yeah. There is no reason for torches and banners to not be equipped in the off-hand. The only problem would be with blocking (as of now they would have to be equipped as "shields") but with the WSE it would probably be doable to have the normal 1h blocking. Also while it would be nice for polearms to do this too I doubt it would work because of the animations. Polearms use both hands when you block...
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 07:21:05 pm »
Why not both? I understand that dual-wielding did not have much of place in battles historically, but remember that we have a Duel mode too, where they most certainly had a place.

The first option I posted is my favorite; two separately controlled weapons, no blocking.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 08:04:46 pm »
Why not both? I understand that dual-wielding did not have much of place in battles historically, but remember that we have a Duel mode too, where they most certainly had a place.

The first option I posted is my favorite; two separately controlled weapons, no blocking.

why not both? Aside from the fact that it would be lame. And that we would have a bunch of morons running around with their name as "Legolas" and "Drizzt?" This game needs duel wielding like I need a hole in my head.

Offline Largg

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 08:25:41 pm »
why not both? Aside from the fact that it would be lame. And that we would have a bunch of morons running around with their name as "Legolas" and "Drizzt?" This game needs duel wielding like I need a hole in my head.

Agreed, no dual main weapons were ever used in fighting in real combat and IMO should not be inlcuded. Controlling them would also be a trivial to produce. However using single main hand sword and dagger is historically recorded, although not that usual. Off-hand dagger was mostly used for blocking purposes, perhaps a dagger could be used for blocking? Ofcourse it would be rather difficult to implement because of normal behaviour of shields(breaking, easy block etc.) compared to blocking with a dagger. I, Still on the other hand would like to have a single attack motion for off-hand daggers, not a real threat in combat but a nice supplement, a bit like the kick.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 09:41:39 pm »

YOUR opinion is that it would be lame. I don't care what people name themselves, and various other ridiculous aspects of this game already incite the selection of fantasy themed names.

Agreed, no dual main weapons were ever used in fighting in real combat and IMO should not be inlcuded. Controlling them would also be a trivial to produce. However using single main hand sword and dagger is historically recorded, although not that usual. Off-hand dagger was mostly used for blocking purposes, perhaps a dagger could be used for blocking? Ofcourse it would be rather difficult to implement because of normal behaviour of shields(breaking, easy block etc.) compared to blocking with a dagger. I, Still on the other hand would like to have a single attack motion for off-hand daggers, not a real threat in combat but a nice supplement, a bit like the kick.

The option to dual wield should be there even if it is not usually effective in battles, in the same way that wearing a wedding dress or taking two shields and throwing rocks  should be available. Off hand daggers were used for dueling purposes and if the implementation of duel-wielding was done correctly, they would sometimes be effective in duels depending on the opponent's weaponry/armor.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »
Tell you what Archon. You go make a mod where dual wielding is implemented, and you can be legorizzt all you want. Keep it out of cRPG though.