Author Topic: M&B F&S has update for Pike - 2 types of thrusting!!!  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: M&B F&S has update for Pike - 2 types of thrusting!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 06:37:01 am »
FUCKING LOVE THIS!  I hope cRPG adds these features.  I actually want to buy WFaS now just to have fun crouching and being a pikeman.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 07:59:52 am »
A two-handed overhead thrust for polearms is already in the native .brf files. You can change the action.txt file to use it. The problem is that doing so replaces the overhead attack animation for all weapon that use the current polearm overhead animation. This would mean that weapons like the long maul and poleaxes would have a high thrust instead of the downward overhead slash. One possible solution would be to make all of the "thrust first" polearms (long spear, pike, awlpike, etc.) weapon use the modified polearm overhead thrust and make all of the slashing/crushing polearms use the current two-handed weapon overhead attack. However, the use of the two-handed weapon animation would increase the range of the overhead attack of many already powerful polearms by ~30 cm.
I'd be ok with that. That seems like something worth testing.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 08:07:47 am »
Hm nice, hope this brings some population back to WFAS, last time i checked the MP servers it was quite dead (for EU).

Offline 7000bc

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Vae Victus, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Roma
  • Game nicks: Varros
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 08:25:24 am »
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT AAAAAADDD THE PIKES CHAOS WILL HAVE AN ORAGASM
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 01:46:24 pm »
FUCKING LOVE THIS!  I hope cRPG adds these features.  I actually want to buy WFaS now just to have fun crouching and being a pikeman.
Well to put it like this. For the first time ever I am gonna make a SP character that is pure footman. PIKE FTW!
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 01:50:55 pm »
Haha, would this be so drastically different from two pikemen, one with thrust and one with overhead ready, as it is now?

I'm all for this. :)

You forget the real macho Pike-of-I-can-hit-you-through-a-wall (the 300 reach one) only got the thrust attack.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2011, 06:36:50 pm »
I hope taleworlds does not see this as ripping them off :/
Just a soldier

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 07:23:47 pm »
Sorry for spoiling your fun, but I really don't see a reason to buff long spear vs. infantry, it is already one of the best melee weapons in the game.

Sure the overhead thrust is quite obvious to spot in a duel vs. a pikeman, but pikes have never been an issue in duels, and this would be a significant buff for them in group combat, which is their main turf.

Couching pikes (standing still!!!) sounds awesome though, just as long as it doesn't get exploited to death (if it staggers at low speed i.e infantry, it would make for insane camping).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 07:27:03 pm »
Sorry for spoiling your fun, but I really don't see a reason to buff long spear vs. infantry, it is already one of the best melee weapons in the game.

Sure the overhead thrust is quite obvious to spot in a duel vs. a pikeman, but pikes have never been an issue in duels, and this would be a significant buff for them in group combat, which is their main turf.

Couching pikes (standing still!!!) sounds awesome though, just as long as it doesn't get exploited to death (if it staggers at low speed i.e infantry, it would make for insane camping).
i agree it would mean a lot rebalancing so that its effective no buff, would be awesome nonetheless. Someone here also said the overhead is very difficult to land in Sword + fire.

are we talking about couching or crouching? i thought of crouching.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 07:32:52 pm »

Been playing a some MP with the pike now and while the new animation was a bit hard to recognize at first, it didn't really take that much time. And in melees it is still just like the overhead, a second attack except that it makes more sense, is harder to hit with, but is not as telling as swinging that 245cm long thingie like a club over your head. Overall a nice improvement. It's easy to distinguish the difference between the upstab and the old lowstab.

i agree it would mean a lot rebalancing so that its effective no buff, would be awesome nonetheless. Someone here also said the overhead is very difficult to land in Sword + fire.

are we talking about couching or crouching? i thought of crouching.
Yeah it's a bit more difficult to land because of the hitbox, but not that much less than the overhead. And also there is no couching with it. Sadly. (BTw on foot it would be bracing not couching)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 08:08:10 pm »
Been playing a some MP with the pike now and while the new animation was a bit hard to recognize at first, it didn't really take that much time. And in melees it is still just like the overhead, a second attack except that it makes more sense, is harder to hit with, but is not as telling as swinging that 245cm long thingie like a club over your head. Overall a nice improvement. It's easy to distinguish the difference between the upstab and the old lowstab.
Yeah it's a bit more difficult to land because of the hitbox, but not that much less than the overhead.

If you are right then (and I have no reason to believe you aren't  :wink:), then I welcome this.

And also there is no couching with it. Sadly. (BTw on foot it would be bracing not couching)

Oops, double fail on my part xD

Pike bracing would still be a cool feature tho imo, but I guess this is not the thread.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 08:16:07 pm »
If you are right then (and I have no reason to believe you aren't  :wink:), then I welcome this.

Oops, double fail on my part xD

Pike bracing would still be a cool feature tho imo, but I guess this is not the thread.
NP: Although people will think it is OP in the beginning because they wont be used to the animation. I fucked up a lot of blocks because I thought "pointy end towards me means stab, downblock" even when the animation was totally not the lowstab. Had to stop and think. Stab has to attacks, up and down, down I'm used to so anything that doesn't look like that means up block. It just takes a bit to get used to and many people will whine first and not wait for it to be common. Pretty much the same as with manual blocking in the first place. You just have to get used to it.

If you played Native Expanded in the original mount and blade they had a ok bracing system. Was a bit stupid with the hitboxes (you could ride at them from the side and still be hit) but the bracing itself was ok.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 08:45:13 pm »
A two-handed overhead thrust for polearms is already in the native .brf files. You can change the action.txt file to use it. The problem is that doing so replaces the overhead attack animation for all weapon that use the current polearm overhead animation. This would mean that weapons like the long maul and poleaxes would have a high thrust instead of the downward overhead slash. One possible solution would be to make all of the "thrust first" polearms (long spear, pike, awlpike, etc.) weapon use the modified polearm overhead thrust and make all of the slashing/crushing polearms use the current two-handed weapon overhead attack. However, the use of the two-handed weapon animation would increase the range of the overhead attack of many already powerful polearms by ~30 cm.
Using 2H overhead animation for polearms looks reasonable. The main difference is which hand is infront of the other (right forward in 2H, left in poles). Polearms are a kind of weapon in which the grip is often and rapidly changed and this is neither unrealistic nor awkward looking.

In terms of game balance, if the reach is excessive (I seriously doubt it), these weapons can take a small damage nerf. The current situation in which a 2H sword reaches as far as the swiss halberd is not exactly balanced either. The long Maul whose main attack is the overhead for the crushes can simply be shortened (also the 3D mesh).

The other problem is that if the overhead damage becomes pierce, it will be pierce for side swings as well. Not so good for implementing on the likes of the war spear, so 4-way polearms cannot have a second pierce attack. Will really help the forks, ashwood/awl pikes, long spear and even the boar spear may become more attractive as a 2-thrust spear.

Offline BigRick

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 09:05:40 pm »
in WFAS you can also use a small-sized round shield while using a bow... now that would be OP!

Offline Richter

• Knight
  • Renown: 51
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Richter, the pikeman.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Richter
  • IRC nick: Rallix
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 11:21:16 pm »
I am interested.
Indeed.