Author Topic: Armor weight v.s. weapon proficiency  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Nyalan

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Gamer/Artist (Multiclass)
    • View Profile
Armor weight v.s. weapon proficiency
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:05:40 pm »
Does the armor weight reduces weapon proficiency for all weapons, or only the bow?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:51:57 pm by Nyalan »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: Armor weight v.s. weapon proficiency
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:58:04 pm »
It doesn't reduce your accuracy directly, but all armour decreases your wpf and the wpf in arhcery is the main factor to determine your accuracy. So yes, you do get reduced accuracy for wearing armour. This used to not apply to crossbows but they do now too. Still, crossbows have a very high native accuracy rating, so even with only 100 wpf you will be accurate nude and with medium armour it wont be that much worse. Crosbow with only 1 wpf at all is still very accurate, at least on short/medium ranges, but if you want to use them to their best you should go medium armour and 100-120 wpf.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Nyalan

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:09:51 pm »
the wpf in arhcery is the main factor to determine your accuracy. So yes, you do get reduced accuracy for wearing armour. This used to not apply to crossbows but they do now too. Still, crossbows have a very high native accuracy rating

Does this means that the penalty in wpf is lesser for a crossbower than an archer?

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:26:14 pm »
The penalty in wpf is the same. It applies to for all weapons.

The thing is that archers need every little bit of wpf they can get their hands on, otherwise they will have big trouble hitting stuff. A sniper (crossbowman that can shoot over half the map) will also go light armour so he keeps all his wpf too.
   But for a hybrid you would want to be at medium/short distances, maybe a bit further too, and thus would want not as high as you can but something to still be accurate. Thus having something like 140/110 would be really good for a hybrid. 140 in your main weapon and 110 in your secondary.

Here is a melee/crossbow build I just made.
(click to show/hide)

You can wear some armour before the weight penalty applies. I don't remember the exact number but it was 7.X or somewhere around there. Not that anything beneath 10 will have any serious effect tough.

NOTE: All head armour weight is multiplied by 3 and gloves by 2. (so a helmet weighting 1 will be counted as a weight of 3 in the calculation)
Might not remember correctly here about which has x2 and which has x3 but they are there.  There are a lot of threads around if you want to check up more on it or you can continue to ask me. I might not be able to answer everything but I hope this helped.

EDIT: Forgot to add. The weight on your equipment (weapons, shields, arrows, ladders, horses) does not affect your wpf. They do affect you running speed tough.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:27:40 pm by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline Nyalan

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:53:13 pm »
Thanks for your answer. I'm a little deceived though, I was hoping to get a hybrid with a strong armor to play battles and get a high defense while switching between the 2 handed weapons and the crossbow, so when you're tired of one style of play you just switch to one other right in the middle of the battle, that's much more funnier. Switching between battle modes is nice, a wide range of strategies available for defend the village mode or siege or battles. Also I love hybrids, but 110 points is really costfull! I was thinking about 71 points, that's 92 wpf cost so it lets more points on the 2 handed.  So only medium armor could make something accurate with a crossbow? I guess when I'll retire I'll make out a 100% 2 hander character and close to level 30 I'll start putting points in crossbows to see how bad it can be with a high armor... Damn, I think CRPG would be better without this wpf drop with armor rule!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:03:48 pm »
Actually a lot of people run around with a crossbow and only 1 wpf. They mainly use it to shotgun (run almost right up to someone before firing) than actually being a crossbowman. This works very well (and the whine will probably make the devs change this next patch) so you could just go for a normal 2h build and do this.
    Also the 110 wpf is actually more than enough for you to use with heavy armour. Maybe not enough for sniping but more than enough for anything else.
   That 71 wpf is good too, but that I wouldn't use with heavy armour. It would reduce the end wpf while wearing heavy armour to less than 50 I think.

Also cRPG was MUCH worse (balance wise) when this wasn't the case. You should have seen the full plate archers with 170-ish wpf a longbow with I think it was 30 pierce damage, native draw speed and dead eye aiming reticule, a flamberge on the back and 2 quivers. Some of them was even on a horse (yes, with longbow). Those were not good times to start playing cRPG as a new guy.

Offline Nyalan

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:58:40 pm »
Actually a lot of people run around with a crossbow and only 1 wpf. This works very well (and the whine will probably make the devs change this next patch)

I'm sorry I'm not sure to understand.. do you mean they are gonna make the crossbow with 1 wpf less powerful next patch?

Also cRPG was MUCH worse (balance wise) when this wasn't the case. You should have seen the full plate archers with 170-ish wpf a longbow with I think it was 30 pierce damage, native draw speed and dead eye aiming reticule, a flamberge on the back and 2 quivers. Some of them was even on a horse (yes, with longbow). Those were not good times to start playing cRPG as a new guy.
Yeah this should have been far too powerful... All of the moves were very well placed... but for the wpf I am just wondering if there could be a funnier balanced way to allow accuracy with higher armor... anyhow maybe a 85-90 points in crossbow (filling the 3 points slots) would be a relative compromise with Rus Lamellar Cuirass or Vaegir Elite armor or Churburg Cuirass (Damn the Churburg Cuirass would have been nice...)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:12:28 am »
I'm sorry I'm not sure to understand.. do you mean they are gonna make the crossbow with 1 wpf less powerful next patch?
Well i dunno what they are gonna do, but they are gonna make it so using a crossbow with no skills in it will not be very good at all. At least I think so, you may never be certain what they are gonna do. Maybe they are gonna make it so you need certain amount of wpf to us it, maybe they gonna make it REALLY inaccurate without any wpf or maybe they will reduce the damage of xbows in general and make wpf give them more damage. Again I don't know what they are gonna do or if they are gonna do anything at all. But if I had to guess I would say they are gonna do something about.

Yeah this should have been far too powerful... All of the moves were very well placed... but for the wpf I am just wondering if there could be a funnier balanced way to allow accuracy with higher armor... anyhow maybe a 85-90 points in crossbow (filling the 3 points slots) would be a relative compromise with Rus Lamellar Cuirass or Vaegir Elite armor or Churburg Cuirass (Damn the Churburg Cuirass would have been nice...)
Yeah, being a hybrid has become difficult because of the last patch and even worse for crossbow/something hybrids (proper ones with wpf investment). Still, the wpf loss isn't that much and your not gonna be that inaccurate with a xbow and heavy armour. Just don't expect to be sniping and your fine. I don't have the formula or any numbers but I guess the wpf loss while wearing heavy armor is about 20-30 wpf. Not that much, only bad for archers really. The main problem is if you have your wpf too spread out and crossbows will lose their accuracy a bit. But hey. Do what you said. Make a normal 2h build, agility so you can get 7 weapons master, and then when you get 140 or so 2h skill you can put the rest in crossbow. If you don't like it, drop the crossbow when you retire and make your next build or make some changes to it. That's the thing with cRPG, you can make whatever you want :D. This is how you should do it anyway tough, always max out one before the other.

And a side note. While having heavy armour is nice and shiny, it's actually not the best. The heavier medium armours is the best way really. Not because of the wpf decrease but because you move much slower in armour, even medium ones. So just saying, sometimes it's better defensively to go for the medium armours. Then you can dodge blocks while still be able to take more than 1 hit.

Offline Nyalan

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 01:41:11 am »
Thanks a lot for your answer!