Author Topic: When are you finally add some sort of punishment to TA and TK ?  (Read 5378 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: When are you finally add some sort of punishment to TA and TK ?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 06:19:45 pm »
It looks like nacrpg.net doesn't track TKs on siege (thank goodness), but I am an admitted frequent (unintentional) TKer. I probably average 2-3 TKs per map, and sometimes i've had 3 in one round.  For reference, I wield a +2 (soon to be +3) Great Long Bardiche and I have 10 PS. Here are some of the reasons I TK so much:

-My weapon is unbalanced. If a teammate kills an enemy mid-swing, I can't feint to stop from hitting him.
-My weapon is long. I kill people in my backswing all the time, and I had no idea they were there.
-I'm uncoordinated. Sometimes I am hitting a door with a bunch of teammates, and I accidentally execute a right swing instead of an overhead,so dead teammate.
-I put team objectives ahead of avoiding TKs. i.e. If I'm on flag and we're getting swarmed by attackers, I'll spam swings while spinning like a lunatic. Sometimes this buys my team a few precious seconds, but I've killed teammates this way too. 
-I'll be fighting 1v1 with someone, and a facehugging teammate will run up between us trying to 'help'. I assume they know the risks and I continue swinging.

I already get mocked in chat for my TKing deeds, which is pretty humiliating. No gold, XP, or reflective damage penalty will affect how many TKs I cause due to the above. Maybe if you forced me to wear a peasant dress for the next round...

Offline Ozwan

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 06:21:49 pm »
There was a system long time ago, it sucked for several reasons. The main problem is that counting only teamkills is bad idea because the actual problem is teamwounding, which goes completely unnoticed by the scoreboard. It might not even be actual hit but just a glance which throws you ouf of the block and causes your death. Same for cavalry idiots, who horsebump teammates just to try to steal the kill.

The only viable solution I've found so far is axe to the forehead next round. Works well.
In real life, when people insult me (and it happens very rare, cos I am a big guy), I often punch them in the face.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 06:52:08 pm »
The only viable solution I've found so far is axe to the forehead next round. Works well.

If you do that then you're the kinda guy that gives this game problems. Not unintentional tkers or wounders.

Offline IceManX

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 06:57:36 pm »
I dont think we need a punish of loosing XP or Gold.

Just remove the Team Damage! and add mirror dmg instead!

That means if u hit a friendly player u get the dmg instead, and the friendly player doesnt get harmed!
Same for horses, if someone hits a friendly horse he gets the dmg instead. Same for teambumps with horses, the horse rider gets the dmg for the bumping.
With that system only the one who does teamdmg gets punished a little bit, but the one who received the teamdmg does not get punished.

Loosing Gold or XP would count as a double punish. For the one who hits his teammate, and for the teammate who gets hit and then probably looses a fight because of low HP.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:01:10 pm by IceManX »

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 07:23:59 pm »
I dont think we need a punish of loosing XP or Gold.

Just remove the Team Damage! and add mirror dmg instead!

That means if u hit a friendly player u get the dmg instead, and the friendly player doesnt get harmed!
Same for horses, if someone hits a friendly horse he gets the dmg instead. Same for teambumps with horses, the horse rider gets the dmg for the bumping.
With that system only the one who does teamdmg gets punished a little bit, but the one who received the teamdmg does not get punished.

Loosing Gold or XP would count as a double punish. For the one who hits his teammate, and for the teammate who gets hit and then probably looses a fight because of low HP.
I'm so grateful the devs already said this will never happen. Mirror damage is horrible.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 08:03:06 pm »
Sadly, a balanced system of tk/tw will never be possible since every situation is unique.

For examples, really stupid and annoying tk/tw situations include:

- ANY intentional tk/tw (ofc!)

- Friendly couch whilst in melee

- Friendly lance whilst in melee

- Friendly bump whilst in melee

- Friendly arrow in melee

- Obviously careless swings in melee (this one is abit vague, but if someone spams sideswings in a friendly clusterfuck chaseing etc...)

- Friendlies killing the ladder ur on

...and more, but point is all of these situations deserve some form of more severe punishment imo.

Now, some situations that imo would not call for punishment:

- Stray arrow

- Someone stepping infront of a swing (as said, melee is more vague, but you get the idea)

- Unintentional bumping whilst not in melee

- Killing the @sshole that is intentionally repetedly tk-ing/tw-ing you.

...And many more.

Also:

If someone does someething stupid, and apologizes for it, it just makes it SO much easier to just wanna let it slide. ("Soz bro, that was stupid. Wanna try my +3 xxx next round?")

I can't stress this enough, a good apology makes up for almost any unintentional tw/tk imo.

(On the other hand, if you do a really stupid tk, don't whine about it if you get abit of flaming!)

There are so many things going on that simply cannot be measured by the server, and NOT punishing the good guys is WAY more important than punishing the @rseholes.

Besides, we do have admins, and kickpolls (the latter abused enough already), so inventing some ultra-advanced tk/tw punishment system should not be high at all on the dev "to do list" (STRATEGUS!)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2011, 08:25:18 pm »
Dezi, I hadn't thought of the "offering the heirloomed weapon next round as an olive branch" idea, I'll try that next time I TK a fellow pole user. Would be easier if siege didn't auto-switch half the players every round, though.

This obscure thing called "Real life" often offers a good example of how to handle most problems in video games. If you make a mistake in the real world that harms a friend/coworker/family member/teammate, you apologize and move on. If you intentionally harmed them, then you generally end up fired/divorced/kicked off the team etc.

Strangely enough, that's how the system currently works in CRPG! If someone is frequently, intentionally TKing, it generally doesn't take long for them to get banned.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 10:19:26 pm »
A punishment system is way too easy to abuse. 
Instead of a PUNISH system I'd go with a REWARD system. Say if you don't have any TKs at the end of the last round you get a little gold/xp bonus. That way players who TK a lot can still do what they do yet those who don't TK get rewarded.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:23:12 pm by Lichen »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 10:40:05 pm »
Actually this would be a nice idea.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 10:49:54 pm »
Instead of a PUNISH system I'd go with a REWARD system. Say if you don't have any TKs at the end of the last round you get a little gold/xp bonus. That way players who TK a lot can still do what they do yet those who don't TK get rewarded.
That... makes perfect sense! And how can people abuse this? By leeching, which is banable and easily noticed too!
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline IceManX

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 11:48:25 pm »
I'm so grateful the devs already said this will never happen. Mirror damage is horrible.

good

then handle with the system these days! then we dont need a gold/xp punish system....
let it stay what it is
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:49:43 pm by IceManX »

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 12:02:12 am »

How to avoid accidental TKs? Hide away from your teammates, spread out, dont play tactical.. or hide!

Also, this will punish the TKers by not giving them the reward, as you will get the reward most of the time, it will feel like a punishment.
What do you do when some ass**** jumps in front of you after you started to swing your inbalanced wep against the enemy? You kill him because of his action, he gets the reward, and you dont.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2011, 12:46:18 am »
How to avoid accidental TKs? Hide away from your teammates, spread out, dont play tactical.. or hide!

Also, this will punish the TKers by not giving them the reward, as you will get the reward most of the time, it will feel like a punishment.
What do you do when some ass**** jumps in front of you after you started to swing your inbalanced wep against the enemy? You kill him because of his action, he gets the reward, and you dont.
Me personally I almost never TK and I currently play 2 of the most TK prone classes (archer and thrower). When I play melee it's very easy for me NOT to TK.  I'm not swing/kill happy and I'm always aware of those surrounding me and what they are doing or likely to do. I see all the time 3 or more guys going after one guy and all teamwounding or killing each other in the process. Sorry, that's just bad playing right there. If a punish only system is put in effect then people will whine about that too. Someone will always be upset about something.

Offline elleryss

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 10:39:09 am »
I agree, im annoyed also by getting ta's and tk's, so your suggestion of xp lowering / gold is great IMO.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 12:27:04 pm »
most of the time i TK is when im fighting a guy 1 on 1 and someone jumps in front of me to try to kill or they stab the guy im fighting in the back and my swing hits them instead :P punishment for that is harsh. As for ranged well i do get unlucky with my xbow char and i shoot and someone walks round the corner into the bolt ^^. I do say sorry even if its the other guys fault as its only polite :D

Most of the time im TKd however is people with pikes stabbing me in the back :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk