Author Topic: Why do people play Battle so much?  (Read 8623 times)

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
Re: Why do people play Battle so much?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 07:29:16 pm »
Because it's awesome to play with your friends in a group, winning the round together and knowing you made a difference to get another multiplier :D!

This. Although it can be done in siege as well, but it's usually nowhere near as "epic". Also respawning so fast makes me feel like I'm playing a mindless hack 'n slash action game a la Devil May Cry.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »
This. Although it can be done in siege as well, but it's usually nowhere near as "epic". Also respawning so fast makes me feel like I'm playing a mindless hack 'n slash action game a la Devil May Cry.

I bought this game to play it, not sit for 2 minutes watching other people fight.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 07:39:40 pm »
I bought this game to play it, not sit for 2 minutes watching other people fight.
apperently most of us did :wink: inc. me

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Lezard

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »

You need good awareness to survive in battle. You also need to known when to play agressively and when to play defensively.  Having a coordinated group of skilled people around you, combined with a good strategy usually means you don't have to sit and watch other people fight.

I play siege too, but usually only when I feel like going rambo style.

Edit: I don't play battle alone most of the time though, I'd rather play siege then.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:44:13 pm by Lezard »

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 07:46:33 pm »
You need good awareness to survive in battle. You also need to known when to play agressively and when to play defensively.  Having a coordinated group of skilled people around you, combined with a good strategy usually means you don't have to sit and watch other people fight.

Edit: I don't play battle alone most of the time though, I'd rather play siege then.

Siege is the server to build your awareness, really, since the press of people is so thick.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 07:51:47 pm »
Siege would be much more fun with built-in VOIP.  Some VOIP coordination may temper the desperation which leads to spamming. 

Offline Erathsmus

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
  • My w finger hurts.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Imperium
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 07:53:54 pm »

Idk, dex is a pretty good player. Though I don't see him on siege very often, unless you do EU that is. Both modes require awareness in order to win, but siege requires a large amount of the team being aware of multiple positions. I think a coordinated group of skilled people combined with a good strategy can win either mode. (Many times I have seen clan groups holding a gatehouse, or storming a secret door entrance to win the game.) The problem with battle sometimes, is that bad luck happens to all players, in siege or battle a stray xbow bolt can insta drop you...or you make a cav mad. In siege the consequence of bad luck is, "I am going to respawn and kill you!" in battle "I am going to spectate and hope you die!."
Slow and steady wins the race...Unless there is a fast person in it.

Offline DANK

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • OotL
  • Faction: OotL
  • Game nicks: Sir_Dank_OotL, OotA_Kush
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 07:55:24 pm »
1. Generally the more skilled players play battle. I'd rather play against people who are better than me.
2. You can contribute more in battle. In battle, taking out a few players makes a HUGE difference.
3. Tactics are far more important in battle. In battle, you need to work together to fight off cav, to group up to take out specific threats and to advance towards archers. In siege you either camp the flag, or camp the gates, or camp the whatever while the other team tries to kill the people there.
4. The fact that you can die makes everything you do far more important. I find if I play too much siege I get really sloppy, because who gives a shit if you die?

Pretty much this... Also there nothing more fun to be the last one left on your team against 5+ enemies and clutching the win for you team.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 08:14:28 pm »
In battle there are proper heros.
In battle many people clash, few (except in situations where one team rolls the other), are left standing.
The tactics available, (ok not very imaginative ones) like camp the hill, camp the spawn, shieldwall and zerg rush, left and right.
Killing a player means he's dead until the next round, provides good reasons to get revenge which could evolve into a friendly rivalry.

And the most important thing about battle to many players. The scoreboard. Players who reach the top of the scoreboard often are players people get to know, sometimes this is a good thing, many times it's a bad thing (like being targeted specificly by enemies) but it provides people with new challenges. But the major bonus with topping scoreboards or getting to the top 10 means you get attention. Since most people crave attention this is a good thing.
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Lezard

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 08:18:39 pm »
Siege is the server to build your awareness, really, since the press of people is so thick.

Melee awareness perhaps. The true challenge of battle mode is to have an ever watchful eye on cavalry and archer positions, while still maintaining focus on melee. Siege requires awareness and tactics as well of course, but not in the same sense. Battle is not as straightforward as siege imo.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:26:22 pm by Lezard »

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 08:49:57 pm »
Pretty much this... Also there nothing more fun to be the last one left on your team against 5+ enemies and clutching the win for you team.

Try to hold the flag for 45 seconds, after the timer is down to 00:00.
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Erathsmus

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
  • My w finger hurts.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Imperium
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 09:04:52 pm »
Try to hold the flag for 45 seconds, after the timer is down to 00:00.

Now THAT is intense. Not even sure if anyone knows what they are swinging at, at that point and time.
Slow and steady wins the race...Unless there is a fast person in it.

Offline Oggrinsky

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sons of Zardoz
  • Game nicks: Tzadik_Oggrinsky, Ghazi_Suleiman, MissOggynistic
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 09:37:36 pm »
I played siege almost exclusively for the first 3 months of Crpg. The reason being the quick respawns , constant spam and general lack of blocking allowed me to perfect my turtle skills. Then after getting a feel for offense and footwork it felt like I was chopping wood. Battle is more exciting, people play with more care and awareness when they have to wait 3 minutes to play again. That I switched to cav sure helps to sway my opinion of course, though it can be great fun to go tank cav mode in siege and absolutely annihilate noobs who can't down block.

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA CRPG Admin
  • Game nicks: Ecko_ATS
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 10:03:47 pm »
Your actions matter more when you don't get countless lives. More skill, more teamwork, more knowledge of the game is required in battle.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 10:25:48 pm »
any mention of 'tactics' in battle makes me laugh hard.  there are no tactics other than find a place to hide while you let your team die.