Author Topic: some general questions by newbie :P  (Read 1372 times)

Offline bacileios

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: no faction
  • Game nicks: Bacildaf
some general questions by newbie :P
« on: June 19, 2011, 07:14:23 pm »
Hi guys, i just discovered this mod  this week. I found it awesome, this mod+strategus is almost what the native m&b multiplayer should have been, its like playing a proper medieval mmorpg...Anyway i have a lots of questions and i need some quick answers because i dont have time to search forums for each one of them.

1) Are the repair costs more when you die or they are standard?

2) Is it my idea or its almost impossible to make money when you are playing well equipped? The repair costs are very big and the game almost forces you to equip shit gear when you want to gather money for better gear.

3)What means Couchable on lances ?

4)The biggest the speed rating the faster the weapon is?

5) Which are the best lances for light/heavy cavalry , i want some recommendations , a cheap one <1500g, a medium cost , and the best polearm available for heavy cavalry playing with shield/1h unmounted .

Some builds for light cavalry crossbow/ 1H+shield (what i m now) ,  and a heavy cavalry  lance/1H+shield (what i plan to do after 1st gen)  , would be welcomed too.

6) Is it taking very long to go from 21 to 31 lvl? with an average 2hours per day , how many days it takes?

...Rise and rise again until lambs become lions...

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: some general questions by newbie :P
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 07:26:50 pm »
1) They are not influenced by you staying alive or not.
2) Yes, that is the point, so you can't run around in heavy gear all the time.
3) It means you can couch them. Try the tutorial in Native.
4) Yes.
5) If you want to fight other cavalry as well, go for heavy lance, for it is the longest thrustable lance.
6) Depends on how much you win.

Offline SkyrayFox

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: SkyrayFox
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:53:16 pm »
1. Each item you have equipped has 4% chance to break every minute, the cost of repair is 5% of the item buy price. This is not influenced by anything else such as death or losing a round.

2. "The average player can now continuously wear an average equipment cost of about 50,000 gold." For more info check WaltF4's thread here: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,8400.msg126080.html#msg126080

3. As said above, try tutorial in native. To use couched lances press x when riding on a horse.

4. Yes. WPF (Weapon Proficiency Points) also have an effect on weapon speed.

5. Heave lance is probably the best choice. For more cavalry builds search around on the forum, there are plenty of examples.

6. With an average multiplier of x2 and generation 1 character it will take about 68 hours to reach level 31 from level 21. See the experience gain calculator on this website: http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:53:09 pm »
Some clarification on #4:

The higher the speed the faster the weapon. Speed rating has the biggest effect on swing speed, more than any other factor including WPF. Even a ton of WPF doesn't make a huge difference. For more info, see another of Walt's posts: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,2531.0.html
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 11:25:24 pm »
I've heard that roughly 10 proficiency points give ~1 spd rating point. Pure speculation, though.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 11:54:35 pm »
Glad you like the mod and welcome!

1: The repair costs are the same, even if you have heirloomed ones. The chance of it breaking depends on other stuff tough (check other posts)

2: Yes, making money while having the top tier equipment will eat all your money. What most people do is grind a bit so they have a cashbank (about 30k will be fine, 50 if you want to be even more safe) and then play with a setup that will have a even income/gain relationship. This used to be considered around 35k, but some can have it up at 50k because they are good at making people use teamwork/play with a clan that usually wins the round.
         Having a setup of around 20k in the beginning will get you your gold reserver ready. Move then up to 35k and see if you lose/gain/brake even in the long run and then go up, down or stay the same. If you stay on foot and use medium equipment you can still get 20-30k in total setup so you wont be that underpowered in the equipment area.

3: Couchable means you can couch a lance, i.e. hold it down while you gallop. The way people do in tournaments for example. This is an attack that can't be parried (but can be blocked with a shield) and does very high damage, most of the time instantkill.
         In SP you can do this automatically when you have high speed, or if set to manual, when you press x while having high speed. All MP servers (or at least all I have played on) have couching (and parrying) set on manual.

4: The higher the speed rating the faster the weapon yes. Altough remember that some people will hit you first even with a slower weapon because they have a higher agility and/or wpf than you. They can also do it by using footwork (placing themselves in a favorable position) so that they will hit you in the earlier part of the animation, thus hitting you earlier.

5: The best lances are the Heavy Lance for reach and damage (BEWARE: This is a REALLY slow weapon. The slowest melee weapon in the game!" and the Light Lance for speed.
         For a heavy cavalry polearm/1h/shield I would take the Heavy Lance. This is only if you have any wpf in it. If you want to couch and have 1 wpf in poles then you should take one of the couch only lances, like the Jousting/Great Lance and use them.
        The Great Lance is your best bet then, since it is the longes lance. (BEWARE: the jousting/great lance cannot stab nor block, only couch. Thus they are useless on foot or if you are caught unaware. Only use on horseback, preferably with a shield.)

Here are some versions of the builds you asked for.

Horse crossbowman:
(click to show/hide)

The "Tank" Heavy Cavalry
(click to show/hide)
PS: All these builds are for pure cavalry. You might be better off with a cavalry/footman hybrid and get some athletics. 0 athl can be very slow when you lose your horse.

6: Too long.  :rolleyes: That's what it takes.
Of course this all depends on your multiplier, but if you aim for a lvl 30 build and not 31 then you will be much more happier. Just saying...
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 03:44:20 am »
1st generation is always the hardest and poorest.  Any money you make goes to purchasing equipment.

Cav is not a good choice for new player, as it requires a good amount of money to do.  If you arent a good cav player you are probably hurting your team more than if you were on the ground.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 03:47:40 am »
1st generation is always the hardest and poorest.  Any money you make goes to purchasing equipment.

Cav is not a good choice for new player, as it requires a good amount of money to do.  If you arent a good cav player you are probably hurting your team more than if you were on the ground.

I'll second this. One of my alts is a Cav and starting that from scratch meant I had to be very very crafty in getting everything started up correctly. Was not an easy thing to do with 100 starting gold. I would hate for a new player to just dive into that class.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline bacileios

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: no faction
  • Game nicks: Bacildaf
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 07:52:09 am »
thanks for the help guys, i ll stick with the crossbow/ 1h+shield   since it can get me some kills when infantry (even without my arbalest) and be really fun for me and annoying for enemy teams when mounted,  on top of than it does not require to be armored to the teeth all the time making me gold to buy all equipment i want for the light/heavy cav builds without leeching. Fair enough.

...Rise and rise again until lambs become lions...

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48:11 am »
thanks for the help guys, i ll stick with the crossbow/ 1h+shield   since it can get me some kills when infantry (even without my arbalest) and be really fun for me and annoying for enemy teams when mounted,  on top of than it does not require to be armored to the teeth all the time making me gold to buy all equipment i want for the light/heavy cav builds without leeching. Fair enough.

great plan.

• wear lighter armor (under 5 lbs) and invest in a good shield (knightly heater is great starter or heavy round)
  • use a pierce or blunt dmg weapon so you are less lightly to glance off heavily armored enemies