Author Topic: Class for strategus?  (Read 7314 times)

Offline Kazak

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
  • Сiла и Чѣсть!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Honeybadgers
  • Game nicks: Kazak
Re: Class for strategus?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 08:07:24 pm »
I personally go for cav + inf (6 riding 6 ath), with 120 1h/120 pole. Diversity.

18/24?
Не веровать и верить свободно - Вот в чём вера моя... И только в одно
Я верую слепо, как сердцу угодно: В веселье и радость, и в смех и в вино!

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 10:52:46 pm »
18/24?

Ew. No. 18/18

6 ps
5 shield
6 ath
6 wm
6 riding
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 07:09:44 am »
Reinhardt's build, I would say.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 08:07:59 am »
Have you guys been watching the big Ripper battle videos, where cav just tore them to shreds despite their archers and pikes?  Cavalry decides almost every fight in non-siege maps.  Go cav/shielder (polearm or 1h) and you will be in high demand, because even in sieges shielders are very useful.  The highest kills in all those fights was consistently by cav not archers.  If you go cavalry/shielder you will help your clan the most.

If you are talking about the Fallen/Shogunate/Risen/Grey Order battle, it was the archers that ruled the day there, they forced the action and put the enemy in a poor position, and wounded them significantly so the melee could wipe out the enemy.  The cav made desperate charges with high shock value, but ultimately died to pikes before they could change the course of the battle.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 08:17:52 am »
Be a shock trooper.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 08:19:40 am »
If you are talking about the Fallen/Shogunate/Risen/Grey Order battle, it was the archers that ruled the day there, they forced the action and put the enemy in a poor position, and wounded them significantly so the melee could wipe out the enemy.  The cav made desperate charges with high shock value, but ultimately died to pikes before they could change the course of the battle.

I agree. Cavalry was almost useless in Strategus 1.0. I've seen hundreds, perhaps even a thousand cavalry charges get blown away by simple archers and pikes.

Offline Cosmos_Shielder

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • French Connection Leader
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: Roland De Gilead
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 10:14:15 am »
9 power throw , with heirloom war darts at a siege is a killing feast!

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 12:56:08 pm »
I agree. Cavalry was almost useless in Strategus 1.0. I've seen hundreds, perhaps even a thousand cavalry charges get blown away by simple archers and pikes.

Crazy talk from a cav lobbyist. :wink:

Riders won many battles in the open field; when one team had a serious cav advantage, they could totally dominate the other team's spawn. Pikes and archers can't do shit when there's a lance tip headed their way the second they pop up on the map.
Don't.

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 03:37:18 pm »
In strat 1.0 there were almost no open battles (and I participated in those few that happened) because there was no real point in loosing troops for nothing. Captains mostly fought for villages and castles. This may change though if chadz will make that caravan feature. In that case GK guys could become a real pain.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 05:15:37 pm »
Actually I was taking greater note of the Northern Empire scrimmage which showed more footage of the actual fight.  But you have to remember in Strategus 1.0 half the archers could 1 hit kill you or your horse and shoot again 1/2 second later and be able to shoot at long ranges without the arrow skewing left/right of where you aimed.  To equate that to cavalry being useless now that archers have been seriously nerfed 4 times since then is misleading.  Pre-January I would rather have 10 archers than any other class, now after the most recent patch I absolutely would rather have 10 cavalry in any non-siege fight than any other class, preferably lancers with shields.  And if I can afford it, equip all of them with coursers or arabian warhorses and not armored horses.

I remember outfitting my clan's armies a few times pre-January and the hardest decision was how to make sure we had enough of the most expensive bows/xbows even if it meant slightly worse armor and fewer/cheaper horses.  Now the key decision is how to afford enough of the mid-tier horses (no reason to waste money on the uber-expensive armored horses that are not as good as coursers and arabian warhorses) even if we need to scrimp on armor and use the cheapest arrows.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:16:59 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 05:59:16 pm »
Crazy talk from a cav lobbyist. :wink:

Riders won many battles in the open field; when one team had a serious cav advantage, they could totally dominate the other team's spawn. Pikes and archers can't do shit when there's a lance tip headed their way the second they pop up on the map.

Except for the fact that they didn't. Be honest, how many times can you recall cavalry charges actually not teamkilling half of their own guys (cav killing cav), not charging onto pikes, or not running into the invisible walls on the edge of the map?

I've seen so many failed charges. Yes, cavalry was good for shock tactics, but only if you used them extremely well and only if your enemy was bad at organization.

Although I have seen one cavalry charge with the Shogunate army attacking some other random force with cataphract geared horse archers. :D The horror!

Actually I was taking greater note of the Northern Empire scrimmage which showed more footage of the actual fight.  But you have to remember in Strategus 1.0 half the archers could 1 hit kill you or your horse and shoot again 1/2 second later and be able to shoot at long ranges without the arrow skewing left/right of where you aimed.  To equate that to cavalry being useless now that archers have been seriously nerfed 4 times since then is misleading.  Pre-January I would rather have 10 archers than any other class, now after the most recent patch I absolutely would rather have 10 cavalry in any non-siege fight than any other class, preferably lancers with shields.  And if I can afford it, equip all of them with coursers or arabian warhorses and not armored horses.

I remember outfitting my clan's armies a few times pre-January and the hardest decision was how to make sure we had enough of the most expensive bows/xbows even if it meant slightly worse armor and fewer/cheaper horses.  Now the key decision is how to afford enough of the mid-tier horses (no reason to waste money on the uber-expensive armored horses that are not as good as coursers and arabian warhorses) even if we need to scrimp on armor and use the cheapest arrows.

I did mention old strategus however. But you're right, archers did rule 1.0. I hope to see more cavalry (actually being useful!) and less ranged camp. Hopefully running about as a group in squads delivering multiple blows to the enemy from different sides might actually prove useful this time around.

Also, I've actually modeled my build to be cav/inf hybrid BECAUSE of Strategus and the fact that I could never use horses (Either due to commanders saying not to until a specific time or the commander didn't buy them.).

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 07:22:14 pm »
If you have a somewhat organised cavalry group, that actually follows orders, you can use it to keep your flanks clean and pick off any stray enemies before the main enemy force breaks up and charges. Did this in a field battle i lead, worked fine.

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 07:56:02 pm »
If you have a somewhat organised cavalry group, that actually follows orders, you can use it to keep your flanks clean and pick off any stray enemies before the main enemy force breaks up and charges. Did this in a field battle i lead, worked fine.

True.

Offline Appe

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 11:11:18 pm »
I once saw the chinese lose 200 plated chargers and full blacksets to a bunch of naked fallen archers with bows in a crappy village with a hill.. So... I wouldn't recommend cav for strat :P

Do a mauler :)

(click to show/hide)

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn