Author Topic: An Official Wiki  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Arson

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arson, Nosra
An Official Wiki
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:03:08 pm »
Since coming to cRPG I've noticed that very little official information is available to players. Explanations of retirement are scarce, changelogs are almost non-existant, and not a shred can be found on Strategus. Hell, I had to ask in-game to find out that Strategus was down since the latest patch. I thought I was doing something wrong.

That being the case, I think it would be easy and effective to add an official wiki to c-rpg.net. Yes, there are various wikis around the internet, but none for cRPG that I've found, all relating instead to Warband. If the administrators of cRPG can't find it within themselves to make official documentation on various subjects, then let the hundreds of dedicated players who are here do it. It would be simple to add a Wiki button right here on the forums, and allow the Wiki to complete itself as all wikis do. A few mod developers could check up to make sure information is accurate, but otherwise it would mostly be guides and hands-off. I think this could only improve the cRPG community and is desperately needed in my opinion.

Offline Amouro

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: An Official Wiki
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:09:23 pm »
I strongly agree.  Poor documentation is probably the worst part of this mod.

At the very least give us detailed patch notes. There's always so many unanswered questions about every little change.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:41:27 pm »
I support the idea, I think nobody would oppose this - I'm not that optimistic about the wiki 'completing itself' though. Guides are scarce, subjective, and in most cases, really outdated. There are nice ideas however, so I may be wrong here.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline Arson

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:34:02 pm »
I think if players had a single repository to place their information that it would fill up pretty quickly. As far as guides being "subjective", sadly I agree, and I feel it's because there are few confirmations on exactly how certain game mechanics work without speculation. There's really no excuse for a mod as simple as cRPG not to have precise information on all mechanics.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:31:34 pm »
http://wiki.c-rpg.net

I have no idea how that thing works, so if anyone wants some special rights, contact me in IRC.

Offline Moofed

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • LET'S PLAY MONEY MAKING GAME
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:30 pm »
Great! We'll get started on adding content.  However, some measure of spam prevention would be very helpful.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:00:40 pm »
Added some content in the front page and made a basic page for fighting skills. There's a ton of stuff ready to be added with slight edits from all the newbie guide topics.

The most important thing is to keep the information parts informational and express your opinions elsewhere, either in separate articles or at least under different heading in the same article. That way the informational content can be easily updated without going through all the arguments whether or not something pwns. Forum is for discussion and issues involving varied opinions with arguments. Perhaps the most significant approaches (example, builds: full str / full agi / balanced attributes, hybrid / focused wpf, pure / hybrid skillpoints?) can be described in the wiki too, but every player's individual opinion should not be expressed in the wiki.

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 12:21:06 pm »
The most important thing to have would be game mechanics: Registration, multiple characters, exp/gold gain, equipment, leveling up, WPF weight penalty, Strategus basics, server rules, retirement.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 04:21:03 pm »
cool I did an edit, I used to contribute alot to other game wiki's I dont mind contributing, but its anoying when you cRPG dev guys know all the infomation but keep it secret and leave the community guessing. so if this is going to be an official wiki, can we get official info from you guys or are you still gona be super secretive about stuff.

Offline Moofed

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • LET'S PLAY MONEY MAKING GAME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:55:29 pm »
It appears that both file uploads and external image links are disabled.  Until at least one of those is turned on then we cannot have any images on the wiki.

Should we just copy Moschers cRPG Guide into the wiki for the beginner's guide?

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:28:42 pm »
That should be heavily updated with patch information.

Offline Arson

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 01:42:05 am »
http://wiki.c-rpg.net

I have no idea how that thing works, so if anyone wants some special rights, contact me in IRC.

Thank you very much for this, chadz. I think this will turn out to be one of the best things to happen to cRPG in a while.

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 02:37:34 am »
http://wiki.c-rpg.net/index.php?title=Throwing

Feel free to edit the text, I just wrote it for some basic information, and to not leave it empty. The contents of the table are from the website, and are, of course, subject to change by any donkey magic (patches).
Filling that table only took 30 minutes or so, so go ahead people, fill the others!

Offline Arson

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 04:00:07 am »
I've created a new front page for the wiki. I feel they're more effective when they're short and to the point, and since cRPG is growing all the time, I thought that a newbie-friendly welcome would be handy. I'll create appropriate subpages so that people can fill in information.

A Guides section should be creates shortly for folks that want to include items of opinion and less objective material.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 07:24:39 am »
Nice job so far, looks like we got a few excellent editors already.

Looks like Arson remade a downloading & installing page (had similar stuff in http://wiki.c-rpg.net/index.php?title=Getting_started), making the steps a lot less detailed. This is of course a matter of opinion, but I think the newbie guides and basic install steps should rather be too detailed instead of too vague. Someone often pops to IRC or makes a forum post requesting help about stuff that seems trivial to anyone who's played the mod for any time at all. I'll re-add the details later if no one strongly disagrees.

Another important thing: let's try to make each article have a short overview, just like normal Wikipedia. A short paragraph or two giving the basic impression of what the article discusses in detail. This way people can get an overview without reading through the full article - you don't want to read through every detail when you've just started to play. Newbie-friendliness again.