Author Topic: use polling to declare a leader  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Re: use polling to declare a leader
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 04:11:43 am »
    1)  Your catchall is a bit hurtful and ignorant. Whiners are whiners irrespective of whatever else they are. I was just joking about the fuck you very much.

My comment was made out of frustration at a specific kind of intolerant behavior that I associate with the ADD and ADHD children I've known (horrible memories from friend's birthday parties).  I also took against what I read to be an unwarranted personal attack where none was due.  I'm very sorry if I caused offense or hurt. 

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 06:10:50 am »
    It's all good, please don't feel bad about it. I was going for the colon-p tongue smiley, but that's the shortcut for the 'razz' smiley, which looks smarmy. I only brought it up because those kinda associations damage understanding of the disorder, which is lacking in many public realms. Especially that many of those kids turn into adults with additional problems like anxiety and/or depression because of the way it's perceived and reacted to by others throughout their lives.

Back to the important stuff:  What about if leaders could create and actively edit a priority list that shows on a corner of their team's screens? That way they could be free to run around the field and see where enemies are going, and assign tasks or locations with amounts of soldiers needed. Then players who care for strategy could respond to the list, leaving the more 'rambo/ronan' types to do what they're gonna do anyway.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 06:20:46 am »
In the vast majority of cases those that are left on their own fighting 20 other people and yet still keep running away, stand on a roof, or hide in the bushes somewhere are stupid fucking bundle of stickss who accomplish literally nothing but waste time, even if that time is only 2 or 3 minutes. If you are in that position it's probably because you were useless to your team when it really mattered. When the server has 60 vs 60, that is 59 people on your team waiting for your dumb ass to die. In total 177 "manpower" minutes minutes wasted. Don't get me wrong, there are occasionally heroes who win it for their team, but it's rare. If you want tactics and organization, set it up at the start of the round. When your team are all dead and you're being rushed by half the enemy team is a little too late, and being in that situation in the first place means ,again, that you were fucking useless. No one should have to wait for you to set up some so called "tactics" by yourself that at most will net you a few more kills, and do nothing for your team.
In short, fuck delayers, go play a single player game. This is a team game, it's not Thief online version. Your rant is particularly ironic in that you praise teamwork and last stand delayers at the same time. Diametrically opposed.

PS: Savage 2 was fucking great :D but Savage 2 was also a resource game with economic objectives (mines, bases, upgraded units/buildings). You can't really compare it to a cRPG round. It's like comparing Starcraft to Myth TFL.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:28:45 am by Oberyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 04:48:38 pm »
I hesitate to favour team benefits (like the aforementioned +athletics bonus) because I don't think I could stand the crying over it.  Fact is, sometimes teams would be massively out-gunned in those scenarios by opposing teams with a dedicated leader.  I'd prefer to rely on people being self-interested enough in their multiplier that they realize victory only comes through teamwork and PrideCrusher.
1-2 Athletics bonus is not that much, but yes that is the intention behind it, to get people to command and folks to follow them. If we will get more whiners than now, i can't say, i am not that much a prophet. But the whining now if you listen to it carefully is mostly like "dump team, should have done that , we need a plan, we were scattered, LEFT LEFT , no RIGHT RIGTH, and such like" which leads to my suggestion in the first place, change the system, if it is better, the whinnig will be about other things, if not it was worth a try.

2) You're right that we shouldn't need anything more than enlightened self-interest to have more organized multi-player. However I think it's an issue in the first place because we need a way to bridge the gap between people who want more teamwork, and people who couldn't care less. Since the ones who don't care limit the ones who do, short of an incentive what can be done to foster more natural teamwork?
true

What about if leaders could create and actively edit a priority list that shows on a corner of their team's screens? That way they could be free to run around the field and see where enemies are going, and assign tasks or locations with amounts of soldiers needed. Then players who care for strategy could respond to the list, leaving the more 'rambo/ronan' types to do what they're gonna do anyway.
If they can be handled easiely why not. I still think of the difference between army and bregade commands. The former has more time to his hands as he is in spectator mode, can declare targets to reach, where the bregade command focuses on targets of opportunities. We got a overall strategy planer, who choses more the places where the battels take places where to go next and the commander who is directly in the situation, who has to deside if he is actually picking a fight or perhaps retreating to another position, because the forces would otherwise overwhelm them.

In the vast majority of cases those that are left on their own fighting 20 other people and yet still keep running away, stand on a roof, or hide in the bushes somewhere are stupid fucking bundle of stickss who accomplish literally nothing but waste time, even if that time is only 2 or 3 minutes.
Charge is surly more to my liking, then sit and wait, but thats because of my natural impatience. I have to admit, that soemtimes camping is a valid strategy, but it needs preparation(ladders/siege shields/constructions), depending on the map as you said it can be a complete failure if 20 people hide/wait/camp at the same spot.
I disagree that it is allways time waisting, the defender/camper choses mostly the place, the attacker mostly the time when to attack, if the attacker doesn't rush he might loose more people to archers, but if he rushes the faster troops can come in too early and get smashed which results in a good moral of the defender. Does the defender repeat the tactics it is highly likely the attacker will find a spot to sneak in and backstab the campers.

Don't get me wrong, there are occasionally heroes who win it for their team, but it's rare.
True, you yourself are one of the better players arround i have met.

If you want tactics and organization, set it up at the start of the round. When your team are all dead and you're being rushed by half the enemy team is a little too late, and being in that situation in the first place means ,again, that you were fucking useless.
I don't agree, At the start of the round it is all in motion allready, to setup tactics at the begining we would need more time, have a look here http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,831.0.html
ATM the best time for suggestions would be when nearly all are dead, problem is autobalace here, you can't do it at the end of a round because the people get switched and now we would have the knowledge about our plans in the hand of the enemy.

No one should have to wait for you to set up some so called "tactics" by yourself that at most will net you a few more kills, and do nothing for your team.
I think we do not imagine the same, i don't want anyone to wait, ... perhaps 15-30 seconds, is that really too much? I don't know about so called "tactics". In my imagination, the army comanders would do no killing at all because he is in specmode and  the bregade command can get how many he is capable of, though he has to manage and to fight at the same time. Those positions are clearly not for people who just want to kill stuff. Clearly not a way to "net you a few more kills".

In short, fuck delayers, go play a single player game. This is a team game, it's not Thief online version.
agreed, your rant is particularly ironic in that you praise teamwork and last stand delayers at the same time. Diametrically opposed.

PS: Savage 2 was fucking great :D but Savage 2 was also a resource game with economic objectives (mines, bases, upgraded units/buildings). You can't really compare it to a cRPG round. It's like comparing Starcraft to Myth TFL.
Never played it, but by the way Oberyn, as good as you are as a single player, you could do at least me a favour. Swear less and save me all the time to figure out the information in between as time is so important to you, you surly understand. Thanks for your constructive critisism.  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:49:40 pm by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 10:15:02 am »
+2
sorry for necro but, as we do now have this suggestion build in i want to include:

Please deactivate polls after 30 seconds into the round.

It is just a mess always having the polls up when you try to concentrate on enemies.
Not only for the commander voting but "ANY" polls should be disabled after 30 seconds into the game.

Also if you are at it, please get rid of the ctrl+M, replace it with some automatic system.
I don't want to poll anyone, but let it be done by deafault from the system. There is often such a drama because someone crtl+M some otehr dude ... We dont need that.

If at all, make a "Hall of Shame", anyonce th/tks would added up, you could search yourself in the statistic and would be able to see how badly you have done the last day/month/week and if you are within the top 10, you know you need to change soemthing. If you then also want to make a reminding pm for those at top and give those names to admin to have a clsoer look out for those i guess it would be better, then let the players get all worked up over some shity teamhit.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 11:22:55 am »
+5
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 04:31:00 pm »
+5
Funny how this is January 2011 and it gets implemented in November 2013.... But we shouldn't lose hope! Maybe our current suggestions will be implemented by the end of 2016?!

Skyrim UI

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2013, 12:30:44 am »
Funny how this is January 2011 and it gets implemented in November 2013.... But we shouldn't lose hope! Maybe our current suggestions will be implemented by the end of 2016?!
i don't mind waiting for good additions, but the current system, ain't yet good ...

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2013, 01:45:37 am »
Nice neckro!

It's bizare finding pre renoun people that left before it kicked in and are there for ghosts in the machine! (total miss use)
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Scervo

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2013, 05:32:28 am »
+1
I agree its really annoying having people spam polls constantly. And there should also be a way to demote commanders by electing a new one because once someone gets it you cant do anything to get rid of them, even if theyre spamming really badly

Offline Suchechka

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: guess
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 03:28:19 pm »
BULLSHIT - commander chat for public servers.