i always need that 1 athletics
18 (8.3%)
i love athletics
170 (78%)
RIDE OR DIE(0 athletics)
18 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 218

Voting closed: June 24, 2011, 08:05:32 am

Author Topic: Athletics?  (Read 7260 times)

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Athletics?
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2011, 01:13:04 am »
I was going to try a 15/21 1h build but I'm at 15/18 now and the glances are unbearable.  Agility builds are stupid because you can totally outplay someone, hit them multiple times, then they get one lucky hit and it's over.  And that's only exacerbated by having a 1h weapon.  Probably going to try 24/12 or something next gen. 

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2011, 01:23:57 am »
Maybe I'm an alien, but I consider myself way more successful with balanced or agi builds. I can't stand being slow, it's a problem in so many situations... Playing with weapon reaches, helping someone, retreating, following running archers, shield and riding skill... This has the same value as killing in 1 hit a little more often and surviving a few more arrows IMO. Furthermore, more agi and athletics = same speed with more armor.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 01:27:45 am »
Agreed. Whether I'm playing shielder or 2h, I find speed and mobility to be invaluable. Maybe I need an extra hit or two for some kills, but it's much easier to get those hits -- and maybe I can't take quite as much punishment, but it's also a lot easier for me not to get hit in the first place.
Don't.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 01:28:55 am »
i dont understand why you guys are all glancing so much with 1h. i have 15str on my 1h builds and i hardly ever bounce. aim for the head and what weapons are you using? ive used NCS and iberian mace and im using the military cleaver and i very rarely ever glance
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 01:32:29 am »
i dont understand why you guys are all glancing so much with 1h. i have 15str on my 1h builds and i hardly ever bounce. aim for the head and what weapons are you using? ive used NCS and iberian mace and im using the military cleaver and i very rarely ever glance

I use a 2x heirloomed military cleaver or a 1x heirloomed langes messer and I glance off everything until 18 str / 6 PS and even then I glance ALOT still.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 01:34:19 am »
Ahahahahahaah I do I do play on a mac!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1 good sir, very well done!

Oh.... you are one of those people....jk.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2011, 01:49:15 am »
Strength build is more about teamwork and the ability to end fights quickly so that the round ends quickly/prevent long drawn out duels.

Agi is more about dictating where the fight happens and trying to outskill the other person in a 1v1 duel.

I'm not saying that agi is solely that of a rambo or str is solely that of a teamplayer, but in a team battle local superiority is easier to obtain if your team can one hit everyone and wittle down the enemy by half in 5 seconds, as well as having a high survivability.

However, at Strategus level battles, agi and str need to work together in order to win. Personally, i believe that ath should be important for support toons like shielders, archers, pikeman. But for the shock troops, the base in which these support group operates, str is the best.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2011, 02:01:33 am »
I've been playing around abit, and I personally find balanced builds to be king.

The 21-18 pole build I'm using now gives me enough mobility too keep up with most ppl while wearing medium armor, and enough hp/hitting power to outlast my opponents.

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2011, 02:35:29 am »
I use a 2x heirloomed military cleaver or a 1x heirloomed langes messer and I glance off everything until 18 str / 6 PS and even then I glance ALOT still.

odd. are you fighting plate guys or trans?  i didnt go above 5 ps 15 str last gen and i killing loads
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2011, 03:39:55 am »
Gorath fights with a torch and only ever swings at face hugging range, with a right swing.
Turtles

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2011, 04:47:02 am »

odd. are you fighting plate guys or trans?  i didnt go above 5 ps 15 str last gen and i killing loads

Tons of plate guys.  Those are the only ones worth noting on the field really.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2011, 06:39:02 am »
Fun fact: Bar for my pure strength thrower, I've never had a build that involved more strength than agility. Movement over power any day of the week.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2011, 04:04:36 pm »
Tons of plate guys.  Those are the only ones worth noting on the field really.
Tons of plate guys, everyone who isn't in plate has an xbow or is a dedicated archer/shielder.
Agility based non-shielder characters would be a disgusting nightmare to play on NA. you would usually not make it to the fight because of the xbows, andif you did finally you'd be onehit by any str melee character.

I watched some garbage player, and I mean BAD player, walking up and not stop left clicking. He didn't even try to block, he killed 6 people as soon as they glanced because his swings completed and he took 7 long bow shots and 3 bec swipes before he finally went down.
That is an every map kind of thing, that just impressed me because of how many longbow shots it took from a 7 PD archer... it meant he had lordly milanese. That was it.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2011, 05:39:14 pm »
Tons of plate guys, everyone who isn't in plate has an xbow or is a dedicated archer/shielder.
Agility based non-shielder characters would be a disgusting nightmare to play on NA. you would usually not make it to the fight because of the xbows, andif you did finally you'd be onehit by any str melee character.

I watched some garbage player, and I mean BAD player, walking up and not stop left clicking. He didn't even try to block, he killed 6 people as soon as they glanced because his swings completed and he took 7 long bow shots and 3 bec swipes before he finally went down.
That is an every map kind of thing, that just impressed me because of how many longbow shots it took from a 7 PD archer... it meant he had lordly milanese. That was it.

Yup.  This is the state of the NA servers and the ranged spammitude contained within them (along with the consequences of that ranged spammitude).  This is also why the amount of glances are OBSCENE, at least in my experience.  Since I'm not a pure STR stacker I can pretty much guarantee that I will have to block 3-4x the amount of my opponent just to break even, and if I fuck up once I'll get 1-shotted.

It'd be nice if the 6 athletics I had allowed me to move faster than the STR guys as it pertains to footwork in combat and not just jogging across the field.  Ah well.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2011, 05:53:42 pm »
Yup.  This is the state of the NA servers and the ranged spammitude contained within them (along with the consequences of that ranged spammitude).  This is also why the amount of glances are OBSCENE, at least in my experience.  Since I'm not a pure STR stacker I can pretty much guarantee that I will have to block 3-4x the amount of my opponent just to break even, and if I fuck up once I'll get 1-shotted.

How strange. I'm an 18/18 shielder and I usually go blow for blow on the blocks as soon as I close the gap, and generally take down plate users in just a few hits. I mostly only get glances with bad angles, though there is the occasional random bounce, especially against loomed armour.

I also have zero IF and hardly ever get oneshotted; even full STR players usually need two hits, and I only wear heavy mail.

It'd be nice if the 6 athletics I had allowed me to move faster than the STR guys as it pertains to footwork in combat and not just jogging across the field.  Ah well.

But it does. Oh, how it does.
Don't.