Author Topic: PLEASE can we have some kind of dodging?  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
PLEASE can we have some kind of dodging?
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:17:15 am »
Full plate + Great maul + ability to manual block = wut do?

Ideally I would LIKE to dodge out of the way so I can continue fighting them, however we all move the same fucking speed all the time.  Coincidentally this speed is slower than a person can spin their mouse/aim in a circle.

When you dev guys get that nifty crpg program that lets you change hardcoded stuff, can we PLEASE have a bound sprint instead of auto-sprint-fail (dunno why they had that idea in M&B as it's terrible design) and/or double tapped dodges.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: PLEASE can we have some kind of dodging?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 07:24:28 am »
sounds like they were dracul enough to go to shopping maul
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:28:51 am »
lol someone just got smacked in the head by a great maul and came to the forum and made a whine thread  :lol:

Gorath where you.

A. Asleep when you encountered him  :?:

B. Busy fighten someone else  :?:

C. Holding upward block  :?:

D. Or unable to swing your weapon back at him cause of being in a tight spot  :?:

E. Are you a full STR build lacking ATH  :?:

F. Not aware that backpedal and spam kills any great maul user reason being that is has 68 range and weighs a ton and has 80 attack speed :?:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:33:55 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:31:12 am »
lol someone just got smacked in the head by a great maul and came to the forum and made a whine thread  :lol:

It's not the first time, and it won't be the last until either:
A)  We get some kind of sprint/dodge that works
B)  Crushthroughs don't go through chamber blocks (which is retarded).

In fact this is probably my 1200th or so bitch/moan post about crushthrough weapons since I've been playing M&B.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:53:29 am »
I'm for getting rid of crush mechanics overruling chamber blocks, that is incredibly lame, agreed.

But why dodge when you can kick?
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:56:58 am »
It's not the first time, and it won't be the last until either:
A)  We get some kind of sprint/dodge that works
B)  Crushthroughs don't go through chamber blocks (which is retarded).

In fact this is probably my 1200th or so bitch/moan post about crushthrough weapons since I've been playing M&B.

Why shouldn't crushthrough go through a chamber block. Does it make any sense to block that much weight in any way shape or form?  It's lucky crushthrough is on chance, because honestly getting hit with a maul in any serious capacity would most likely break one's arm or at least cause serious battle-ending injury.

Crush through is the anti-turtle, as a shielder they are my worst nightmare- and that's fine by me.

Offline Lady_Cicilia_Rosewood

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 02:47:13 pm »
It's the movement mechanics of the characters, not much to do unless hardrecoded

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:17:05 pm »
...Or just buff the stats of crushthrough weps to make them less gimmicky, but make CT affect shield blocks only. Problem solved.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:21:56 pm »
...Or just buff the stats of crushthrough weps to make them less gimmicky, but make CT affect shield blocks only. Problem solved.

Yeah, because it makes a lot of sense that you can crush through a massive shield, but a whimsical short sword can block you.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:27:47 pm »
Crush through is the anti-turtle, as a shielder they are my worst nightmare- and that's fine by me.

It makes you wonder why there's some weapon such as the axe with strange things called "bonus against shields".  :rolleyes:

Then again, if you remove thoses, it will be a pain to deal with the good blockers, since you just can't hit them, and they're too aware to get kicked. Crushthrough is the one solution when footwork/feinting/chamber blocking doesn't work.
If you make them disapear, the game won't be as interesting.

Oh, and btw, crushthorugh is a 2h, so he gets owned by range. With all the xbows i'm seeing now, i'm sure it's not much of a problem.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 02:41:23 am »
Crushtrough should result in a situation like a kick and not damage you.

Offline Team_Jacob

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 04:41:49 am »
It makes you wonder why there's some weapon such as the axe with strange things called "bonus against shields".  :rolleyes:

Then again, if you remove thoses, it will be a pain to deal with the good blockers, since you just can't hit them, and they're too aware to get kicked. Crushthrough is the one solution when footwork/feinting/chamber blocking doesn't work.
If you make them disapear, the game won't be as interesting.

Oh, and btw, crushthorugh is a 2h, so he gets owned by range. With all the xbows i'm seeing now, i'm sure it's not much of a problem.

Crushthrough is fine, the weapons that have it are slow as hell and require a lot of str. Someone wearing plate and using a crushthrough weapon should be easily destroyed by using good footwork.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:52:38 am »
Why shouldn't crushthrough go through a chamber block. Does it make any sense to block that much weight in any way shape or form?  It's lucky crushthrough is on chance, because honestly getting hit with a maul in any serious capacity would most likely break one's arm or at least cause serious battle-ending injury.

Because it shouldn't. Nobody is going to try to block a huge weapon. There is no need to do so. All you have to do is deflect the arc of the swing to the side and let it crushthrough right into the ground. When fighting a bigger opponent charging me, I don't try to lock horns and stop their attack. I sidestep and push into their momentum with a little trip to help them to the ground. A block is the equivalent of trying to take the brunt of an attack. A chamber is the equivalent of changing the attack vector enough to be brushed aside. You don't have to stop that crushing blow when deflecting its angle of attack is just as effective. A chamber takes more skill, and is therefore exactly in line with what it would take.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 06:12:42 am »
Crushthrough is fine, the weapons that have it are slow as hell and require a lot of str. Someone wearing plate and using a crushthrough weapon should be easily destroyed by using good footwork.

Except if the crushthrough user can block ONCE when within range to counter attack.  Sorry but characters, unless 8+ athletics ZERO armor gimmick builds cannot move and strafe faster than you can spin your mouse to track them.

This is of course barring the castor swing trick in order to break the attack/block/attack timing paradigm of the game.

This is a pretty lame argument for crush through mechanics.  It essentially boils down to "Crutch-through is the one thing I can do to render my opponents RMB and skill useless".
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:14:37 am by Gorath »

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 07:11:30 am »
I agree with you on this one Gorath. One thing that would fix this and lolthrusts is for spin to be disabled during the animation for thrusts and overhands. They can still spin and thrust, but once they release that left mouse button, they are committed to that direction (same for overhands)
That would of course change the gameplay drastically, and perhaps not for the better.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln