Author Topic: Nerf jumping, change weapon swing speed based on previous atk, add pike couching  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Waylit

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: chinaserf1
1) The cheesiest, most immersion breaking tactic, for me, is the backward jump.  I use it all the time with my pike, I see xbowmen and archers do it a lot too.  It's obvious that we need jumping, because there is no climbing obstacles.  But, jumping backwards really serves no real purpose, and just adds a cheesey fight tactic to polearms and archers (mainly).   I do not know if it is possible, but simply removing all jumping backwards, or maybe even in side to side, too, would solve some gameplay issues.   If you want to turn your back and jump away: good luck.  But no more jump back and pike to the face to escape a rush.  That's just kinda silly. 

2)  Is there any sort of swing bonus for linking opposing combos?  Like the overhead-stab link, or the right-to-left?  In my experience swinging shit around IRL, it is much easier for a scimitar user to say, turn his wrist after a slash from the right and then cut right across the face (while the sword and its inertia is still over on the left), then it is for him to bring the weapon all the way back to the right and slash again.  Same with overhead and stab: once the spear is down low, it is quick to stab up.  So if there is no speed bonus for doing this, then I think there should be, and the weapon speeds (or WPF speed bonus) be rebalanced to reflect this.

3)  If possible, Pikes should be given pike couching, which deals damage, based more on speed bonus than on the damage of the weapon, on the first enemy the tip of the pike touches.  So it would allow us to "pike press" guys into corners, because if they run at us, they will impale themselves on the pike!  It would also allow us to set the pikes for killing Cav.  Pike couching should be like horse couching, you press a button when moving or standing still and you enter Couch Mode.  If standing still, you crouch down and can turn, and the couch lasts until you move (then it has a recharge time).  If you Couch while moving forward, your speed is reduced to an absolute crawl, and the couch has a time limit (up to the wisdom of chadz, but I think 20 secs to give it a good holding time, but not making it a walking death trap).  The couch of course ends the moment the pike touches an enemy or friendly, and again: damage and penetration should be based more on the relative speed of the two characters, not the pierce of the pike.  I don't think this would be too overpowered (there would be lots of whiffing/chambering, and both of those would end the couch and start the recharge). Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:43:33 am by Waylit »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
1) Doubt it is possible
2) Not needed really, probably a hell of coding and server load
3) Why not, Pikes were mainly used like that in formations afterall. But it could be abused (with roofs, through walls...)

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
too long, i couldn't read  :rolleyes:

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
You only need to read the title. Or is that too long, as well?

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
i have a request get pikes off horses its bullshit.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
I think jumping is fine the way it is; you don't describe WHAT "gameplay problems" it makes, just that you think it's not realistic.  I think it makes melee more interesting, and since it's purely defensive what's the harm?  Without athletics and light armor, you really can't jump that far in any direction, so it gives the higher-agi, "swashbuckling" types a tool to even things out against the higher-damage folks.  Seems reasonable.

Your second idea sounds like too much bother to code.

I think your last idea sounds okay though.  :)

Offline Waylit

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: chinaserf1
1)  I run around in black armor with a pike and I jump juuuuussssttt fine, trust me.  Into, and out of, combat.   In Mount and Musket, jumping interrupts your attacks, so it is completely useless as a combat tactic, and I prefer this as it keeps the battles as Stab-and-Block and not Crazy-Jump-Turn-Stab-Combat.  I prefer to keep the fighting on the ground because I think it will lead to less gnarly polearm/2h spam.  The better system would really be to have stamina, which I believe has already been discussed at length.

2)  The reason for this is to add predictability to the fighting by incentivizing it...just like Physics does IRL.  If you've seen the show Deadliest Warrior about the Scottish Claymoreman, that guy is basically rotating the sword around its center of gravity, letting the blade swing, around and around, essentially cutting right to left.  It's fast, it's deadly, and it is the real life Spam, but for an experienced fighter it is also predictable. 

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
Maybe instead of removing jump-slash, make it that you can't turn anymore in the air?

Offline Joelturuz

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ratchis
1) Never done this myself nor had any problem with others doing this. It'd stop those cool overhead attacks where you jump off from a roof on top of someone, so no thanks.
2) Agree with Kafein, not really needed.
3) This would be quite an interesting addition! Don't know if it's possible though.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:52:29 am by Joelturuz »

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
1) Never done this myself nor had any problem with others doing this. It'd stop those cool overhead attacks where you jump off from a roof on top of someone, so no thanks.

No, it would just stop jumping backwards/sideways, not jumping altogether.

Offline Joelturuz

• Noble
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ratchis
No, it would just stop jumping backwards/sideways, not jumping altogether.
I can't see the OP mention anything about stopping sideways jumping. Where'd that came from.

I don't really understand how that jumping hurts anyone. I have no problem with any kind of jumers in the middle of combat and usually they just kill themselves by doing that.
Ask yourselves is this such a big problem that it needs chadz's valuable coding time spent on strategus to stop backwards jumping.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:11:44 pm by Joelturuz »

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
    • View Profile
Just no for removing backjump and sidejump.
This buff lancers on their f1 superspeed pony.
For strength build will by really hard to dodge couched lance. 

Couching pikes are interesting idea. Probably not easy to code and can change gameplay essentially.

Offline Whiligelm

• Noble
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Game nicks: Whiligelm
3)  If possible, Pikes should be given pike couching, which deals damage, based more on speed bonus than on the damage of the weapon, on the first enemy the tip of the pike touches.  So it would allow us to "pike press" guys into corners, because if they run at us, they will impale themselves on the pike!  It would also allow us to set the pikes for killing Cav.  Pike couching should be like horse couching, you press a button when moving or standing still and you enter Couch Mode.  If standing still, you crouch down and can turn, and the couch lasts until you move (then it has a recharge time).  If you Couch while moving forward, your speed is reduced to an absolute crawl, and the couch has a time limit (up to the wisdom of chadz, but I think 20 secs to give it a good holding time, but not making it a walking death trap).  The couch of course ends the moment the pike touches an enemy or friendly, and again: damage and penetration should be based more on the relative speed of the two characters, not the pierce of the pike.  I don't think this would be too overpowered (there would be lots of whiffing/chambering, and both of those would end the couch and start the recharge). Thoughts?

Another Idea I was going to suggest  :wink:

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
the third idea is stupid, pikemen can be very effective in battle as pikes work atm very well...
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!