Author Topic: to repair or not to repair  (Read 871 times)

Offline Sunce117

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sunce117, JacenKast
to repair or not to repair
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:24:13 am »
before you read on this was posted on another persons topic that I replied.

Also another thing lol is was that to his question/what he was saying dont just reply a simple no...It looks bad even more so from a admin considering it shows you do not have an open mind to things and leaves no room for improving things OR explains your methods what so ever which should explain as to why it is or why its not and so forth.

So all I ask if no is the answer then please explain as to why

i have to agree I use elegant poleaxe and that's about 700g in repairs not including all my armor which is about 2k give or take and I've had a match where everything needed repair the income isn't even close to enough to keep that stuff going. it should be reduced on the higher weapons/armor just for that if nothing else or removed since it serves no real basis for it other then, "Hey i got a just got one of the best armor/weapon in the mod and it eats everything I have then breaks and cant repair it so I lose it." makes no sense and even more for those who can't get a multiplier higher then 2 or 3 and not cause they are bad or nothing just cause teams are sometimes better then others and so forth.
That is also me speaking as well as others that I've heard others say the same thing, so food for thought

I do agree it is an awesome mod compared to the rest out there but this is one of its flaws if not its only one

Thank you for your time, and to all others leave your comments if you would speak your minds
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:25:31 am by Sunce117 »

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
Re: to repair or not to repair
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:31:13 am »
It is indeed very frustrating at first to deal with upkeep and multipliers. However, they really don't become as important as you think it is later on, when you start to amass gold and get better. In about a week of playing, you could amass around 200k, if you try to use cheap equipment. Try and use equipment that adds up to 10-15k.

Upkeep is staying for good so no point in arguing  :D

Edit: And the reason why upkeep exists is for the precise reason of keeping people from using the best equipment exclusively. Before upkeep was implemented, the game was even more impossible for new players since veterans would walk around with the best armour. So this is really for your own good.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:34:29 am by PieParadox »

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:37:22 am »
yeah once i got up to 50k i found myself never running out of money. If you only save 10k then spend you can easily go down to 2k due to a losing streak. but with 50k you can hit the rebound and gain 20k!

besides it wont kill you to not use the most expensive polearm with heraldic transitional 100% of the time :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:38:48 am by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 05:43:28 am »
Edit: And the reason why upkeep exists is for the precise reason of keeping people from using the best equipment exclusively. Before upkeep was implemented, the game was even more impossible for new players since veterans would walk around with the best armour. So this is really for your own good.

This is a very good point. Upkeep is frustrating at low gold levels but once you build a sufficient buffer it is really not that big of a detriment. I have made money, albeit slowly, while wearing just over 40k worth of gear. If you prefer to wear more gear than this, then you should lose money. 3/4 of both teams in full plate is not fun.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:17:58 am »
This is a very good point. Upkeep is frustrating at low gold levels but once you build a sufficient buffer it is really not that big of a detriment. I have made money, albeit slowly, while wearing just over 40k worth of gear. If you prefer to wear more gear than this, then you should lose money. 3/4 of both teams in full plate is not fun.

yeah, it is not fun to pay 1800 for armor just to get twoshotted by any idiot with bow ... either ur weakly geared and get pwned in one shot, or u pay a lot and get owned in two, doesnt really make difference to me

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:53:39 am »
OP, (Uncertain of what the original question was)

Yes, the upkeep is necessary.

My Tincan's equipments: (Repairs are estimates)
(click to show/hide)

I'm not proud to admit being not very skilled at cavalry nor infantry, but I like role-playing/supporting as a full plated knight, not some cheap mercenary looking for hire. The upkeep, however, kept me from wearing my full plate equipments every round; which is fair, because without all these armor, I would be almost unable to keep my k/d ratio positive at all.

As I hate to say, the upkeep is necessary to keep the fields clear of not-dying-fast-enough tincans like me. I've just caused some round draws earlier and I'm not fond of it.

Edit: So I pretty much agree with this
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:02:15 am by Kenji »

Offline Odion

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Odion_IV, Odion_Power
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 10:13:59 am »
i came to crpg 2 weeks before they added upkeep. and it was nothing but getting rammed by plated chargers and dying in 2-4 rams. + buying gear then was hard. you had to save for months to get one item. and getting black armor or plated chargers was non existent(but when you did get, you became a god)

upkeep has made the game MUCH BETTER
or everone will be in black armor+plated chargers
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:15:25 am by Odion »

Offline Rhygar666

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • möp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Rhygay666_HRE
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:16:44 am »
i came to crpg 2 weeks before they added upkeep. and it was nothing but getting rammed by plated chargers and dying in 2-4 rams. + buying gear then was hard. you had to save for months to get one item. and getting plack armor or plated chargers was non existent(but when you did get, you became a god)

er no, actually you just needed to die in the right place (i always managed to get +120 gold in a map)
but yeah upkeep repair system is fine, i wouldnt change it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sunce117

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sunce117, JacenKast
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 12:02:11 pm »
see that's what I am looking to hear is an explanation of why it is there if nothing else and this makes a lot of sense.
So now I agree on that part since I have played games where it is like that,but( yes here comes the part where I debate/argue the point call it what you will.) I don't use really nice things for the most part my pole-arm is the only high costing item I use and repairs still kinda takes all I have and my k/d can be 20-40 kills to 20 deaths or less/more depending on who I fight(such as Goretooth for instant rofl) and that's an entire match.

The main reason I say something is keep the game/mod improving if nothing else and make it better or learn to as why it is so, But to go from 10k to less then 5k in a good match with a high k/d ratio on a losing team is a bummer for me considering I try/play hard to earn things lol.

Also would like to throw this in here real fast but the game mode "defend the village" is awesome tried it for the first time and I really enjoyed it.

So thank you for everyone's input on the subject which is a great help considering I did not look at it from that aspect, so once again Thank you