Author Topic: So....forget about riding a mid-tier horse now?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Bill The Butcher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • WOOPSY DAISY!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bill_The_Butcher_II
So....forget about riding a mid-tier horse now?
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:41 am »
Prices are increased in the last update, seems like with the upkeep cav is pretty much screwed. It's not something you can play every round anymore, you'll just lose money. Or am I missing something?

I can't ride a Destrier with leather armor without losing  money every time I sit down to play. And now with the latest patch they're more expensive and have worse stats?  What are the other cav doing? Playing 50/50 cav/inf?

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
Re: So....forget about riding a mid-tier horse now?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:14:35 am »
It's not something you can play every round anymore, you'll just lose money.

That was pretty much the point all along.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline Bill The Butcher

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • WOOPSY DAISY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:23:50 am »
I see that....I wonder why? It's a bitch now to play cav as it is, with everyone and their brother running around with polearms.

So now cav is not a valid specialty, which sucks because it's a major part of the game. It's frustrating to play with the major penalty psychologically you're punished with a major upkeep cost. I guess that's chadz prerogative though.

It wouldn't be so bad if you were rewarded for playing well. But the other night I went 16-1, and had a net loss of 3k gold for the round....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:24:56 am by Bill The Butcher »

Offline StanleyPain

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (>'.'<)(*)(*)(¯`·._) LLJK (¯`·._) (*)(*) (>'.'<)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:27:52 am »
Because you shouldn't see 1/2 the team prancing around on their my little ponies.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 03:34:49 am »
Meh, I'm cool with riding my rouncey most of the time.  I'll save my sarranid for special occasions.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Bill The Butcher

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • WOOPSY DAISY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:38:12 am »
Why not let the other team pulling out the pikes naturally counter cav? It was already hard enough to play with everyone going polearm.

Offline Stokes

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stokes52, ArcherStokes, and now by popular demand: ThrowerStokes
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:53:57 am »
Eh, I get why it was done. It forces you to only play cav part of the time, which I'm fine with TBH. I never thought the mid tier horses were too strong anyways and I was fine with the old prices, but with the horse-bump, and the proliferation of mid-tier horses I'm not opposed to the changes either.

This coming from a horse user, myself.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:01:31 am »
A rouncey is perfectly affordable.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Helrekkr

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_Helrekkr
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 11:13:45 am »
Not all maps are good for cav anyway, just use your horse on those where they are.

Offline OrientalHero

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 12:47:10 pm »
Actually, the main factor affecting Horse usage is the riding skill! It's now 1/3 AGI whereas previously it was 1/6.
It previously meant once you dehorsed some tincan, he became a 2H wielding whirling dervish of death. Whereas on the horse he was just a juggernaut but at least he was above the crowd and easy to target!
Now lots of people can enjoy horse riding!

Regarding Cavalry counters, yes the pike or other long polearms. There's this magical aura about a long pointy stick that just makes the horse riders veer away...!

But my preference for countering cavalry is a good HA or two. And whilst they do have horse costs, at least they can operate with leather armour to keep costs down. Unfortunately, HA is still 1/6 AGI so to get HA3 (where it starts being effective) you need 18AGI. But at that level, you can get Riding 6 which gives you the option once you are outta arrows to trample on and on and on and on and on!

Offline MrNicklebe

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 03:51:48 pm »
I find that I can upkeep my Destrier fairly easily, although I do have a Rouncey for backup. Then again I obviously can't use it every map due to some maps being unsuitable for cav. But also then again I usually switch servers if some map comes up that I don't enjoy  :P.

I might just have been lucky since the .210 patch, so will see how it goes today.

I'm also thinking that I might ride with even cheaper armour on. I'm using 4k body armour and uber cheap boots and gloves so I barely notice the upkeep from them. I feel like an accountant these days on cRPG lol  :mrgreen:

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:33:48 pm »
How I see is higher multiplier means I bring out the fine china

Depending on map the destrier was coming out a few times last night

Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »
Prices are increased in the last update, seems like with the upkeep cav is pretty much screwed. It's not something you can play every round anymore, you'll just lose money. Or am I missing something?

I can't ride a Destrier with leather armor without losing  money every time I sit down to play. And now with the latest patch they're more expensive and have worse stats?  What are the other cav doing? Playing 50/50 cav/inf?

I find it pretty easy to upkeep 40k in equipment and still make money.  And i play cav on every map that lets me.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:37 pm »
I dislike the new patches.

Before, you had to grind to get this or that item, AND YOU COULD USE IT. You grinded for x amount of time to buy item x, and then you could play with it, use it, and have more fun because of it.

Now, you have to grind (little less) to get this or that item, and grind even more to use it. You now grind x amount to buy item x, then you grind enough money again so you can equip it without it degreading immediately, and use it. Then, after some rounds, you have to do all the grinding again, to use it for  1/4-1/8 of the time you grinded for it again. And again and again and again.

Right now, everyone has to play in weak equipment all the time (say 1-2 hours) to play 1-3 rounds in their equipment pre-patch.
With the medium and light horses nerfed by their price just like the armoured ones, they will dissapear. Why? To use them, we have to grind just as logn as for our armour now, combine those 2, and then we have to grind aprox. 2-4 hours to play 1-3 rounds in pre-patch equipment AND light/medium horse. Don't even mention heavy ones.

When on foot I use 35k equipment, and that's pretty hard to make money with. With a horse added, and a lance, the repairsmith becomes an empire of its own. Add to that some armour, and he has a monopoly around the world.

Offline Kay of Sauvage

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 07:14:28 pm »

I have a Courser, not a Destrier, but studded leather (or whatever) rather than just super cheap leather. Yeah, I'll slowly lose money at 1x, but I still make money generally. Though, since I want to collect more equipment to have more options depending on the map, I'm trying to save money by skimping on other equipment when possible. I take my skullcap off when on horseback, sometimes use light lance rather than heavy, use a cheap shield, switch to a Rouncey when it's not a particularly wide open map, and go no horse on tight city maps.

I made 20k last evening playing for a few hours. I'm sure I would make money using a Destrier all the time too, but at a slower rate. With the courser, my equipment is like almost 35k. When I have all the gear I want, I could stop skimping on other equipment and find a break-even point. Seems reasonable to me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:15:50 pm by Kay of Sauvage »