Author Topic: Horses Does Pretty Fast  (Read 2585 times)

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
Horses Does Pretty Fast
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:47:53 pm »
This part of the forum is for discussing/bitching a bout various aspects of cRPG. Let us consider the subject of horsies...

As things stand, cavalry in cRPG is rather balanced when compared to the other playing styles. Within the framework of the game, it works--no more, no less. My reason for prompting this discussion is that, I feel, the current way in which horses work is not the best way. Or rather, since "best" is so relative a term, I might say that "there is a better way of doing things". I am not arguing for the sake of perfection, or for change for its own sake, for despite the fact that cavalry is balanced within the context of cRPG, the way in which this balance comes about is rather fucked up.

The most effective horses in cRPG--the ones you see the high-scoring (see, me) players use--are the fastest or the most maneuverable horses. The best cav players generally use speed, suprise, and a lance longer than their ensmy's primary weapon to get kills. The long lance's effectiveness is increased by high maneuverability, which allows skillful cavalrymen to trot just out of reach, and strike with perfect timing, indeed, I find that I can even feint using my horse. The longer lance also allows the cavalry player to strike sooner than if he was using a shorter lance, thus decreasing the likelihood of bieng heard/detected by a small margine. Alas, to balance this ninja-ness out, these faster horses also have low HP, charge, and armor.

The horses with lots of HP and armor, on the other hand, are so costly that using them is very, very silly, and they kinda suck anyway. Why use a tank-horse that's ludicrously expensive when I can use a rocket-horse that's more effective? These tank horses also aren't particularly survivable, despite the fact that they appear to be made out of metal. My experience with high-tier horses is limited to those I can steal ingame, however I notice that though they are resistant to arrows, melee players (particularly two-handers) slice through their armor without too much trouble. It takes a few hits, yes, but when a horse is unable to move because a man weighing a whopping 180 pounds is standing infront of it, the surrounding infantry have little trouble hitting home.

I think something is wrong with this.

I very much dislike having to use speed and suprise to kill my enemies, stabbing them in the back without them even HEARING ME. I also dislike having to resort to expensive metal horses in order to close with and kill my virtual enemies fair and square (or try to, given their softness). I dislike the idea that the best horsemen use the heavy lance, ride the courser, and have to fight like absolute pussies. I dislike not being able to charge into the flank of an enemy gaggle-fuck with my comrades in arms and cut bitches. I also really (really) dislike my horse dieing in three or four arrow hits--perhaps alot "realistically", but not in the world of cRPG.

I has a suggestion in mind to fix this, but I lets discussion happen first. Please avoid realism arguements. Please avoid derpin' and a-herpin'.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Horses Does Pretty Fast
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:06:16 am »
I do just fine with a rouncey or my champion destrier using 1h, but its a completely different type of play though...its close infantry support.  I'm like an A10 Warthog of cav players, providing cover and bombing runs on enemies close my ground'n'pounders.  I steer clear of enemy cav (pretty easy to avoid up to 3 enemy lancers if you are aware) but will capitalize on mistakes they make (running into walls or getting reared).

So many bad infantry like Gorath PxC who would rather 1v1 duel enemies than to let friendly cav give the enemy a bump or distract them so you get a free kill.  There are also oblivious infantry that run in circles around enemies so I end up bumping them and getting them killed instead of the enemy...or they move right into my in progress swing.

You'd see alot more armor horses if shit like loljumpslash was taken out of the game, so a legitimate overhead or pike thrust was how you killed enemy cav RIDERS that got in close.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:20:46 am »
So true Digglez.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:36:21 am »
i'd say it depends on your playstyle... like backstabbing enemies? get a courser.
Like to be able to kill players who are aware of your presence and do good in cav vs cav.? get arabian warhorse
Want to bump, stay cose to enemies and be good infantry support? get a heavy horse

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:49:08 am »
The horses in game are too weak.  They should have higher armor and/or hps. 

No, I don't play cav.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:03:57 am »
I bloody well agree with the loljumpslashing. It looks so unrealistic..
I also support a buff for the higher tier armored horses, but not the Pcharger. The cav that do play are light lancers going with the nomad or saranid style. I just wish I saw more heavy knights on real warhorses.
                                                                      +1 for you

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 01:05:25 am »
I bloody well agree with the loljumpslashing. It looks so unrealistic..
I also support a buff for the higher tier armored horses, but not the Pcharger. The cav that do play are light lancers going with the nomad or saranid style. I just wish I saw more heavy knights on real warhorses.
                                                                      +1 for you

then you would need to remove upkeep... back in the pre-upkeep days, people complained that ONLY heavy hroses were used... the devs fixed that, now they get complaints about the exact opposite :o

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 02:15:51 am »
then you would need to remove upkeep... back in the pre-upkeep days, people complained that ONLY heavy hroses were used... the devs fixed that, now they get complaints about the exact opposite :o
I - No one wants everyone running around on elephants. I just want a buff to heavier horses that were completely destroyed by the devs.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 04:18:26 am »
TBH Cav is the strongest class ingame and if i wanted too i could print screenshots all day long proving that the top tiers on the scoreboard are mostly always cav players on their Formula 1 loomed race courser or Arab warhorse.

I use the Arabian Warhorse myself and i find it way too easy to score kills with it simply because it has such and insane manoeuvre and mine is not even loomed.

If anything should be done to horses it should be a nerf to the Arabian Warhorse and Desert Horse and Steppe horse the manoeuvre is so high that it simply takes the fun out in goin up against infantry with your heavy lance they don't stand a chance once you gotten used to just slightly turn to the left of the poor sob on the ground and finish your death poke it gets old fast atleast for me thats why i gone back to playing with my main.

Offcourse this is also the reason why everyone use only the courser and arab warhorse using Armored horses means you be broke in sec or dehorsed by the 1004324 player with hes loomed courser...

The only infantry you have to fear is the pikemen that's bout it and most of the current pikemen on the ground are more busy with thrusting trough teammates for ninja kills and hunting 2h/pole users busy in figthen.

Digglez thats a nice way to play cav your kind is rare  :wink:

I always wait 1-2 min for everyone to be busy fighten and then go in like the vulture i am and go on rampage.. KDR whoring like most other vulture cav out there.  :lol:

I - No one wants everyone running around on elephants. I just want a buff to heavier horses that were completely destroyed by the devs.

Thats upkeep and you can simply get way more kills on a fast courser or arab warhorse they arent rly that weak as every cav lobbyist claim they are..

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:21:52 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 07:04:02 am »
yeah horses does pretty fast
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 07:07:50 am »
yeah horses does pretty fast

Are you mocking him?  First, the poor guy's horse dies too fast and then you get on the forums and bloody well mock him.... well, i never
Next thing you know you will be beating his dead horse with an irony stick.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 11:04:52 am »
i loath the fast "horses" i ride the Destrier(x1) and a champion charger named hank, my destriers names lyla btw. i find i do quite well on my "slow" tank horses, i often run down rouncys on hank, and kill and or maim them. As for those fast horses, its more the fact of not being aware they are there, we need to increase the sound of horses, at least the fast ass ones need to, hanks quite as a mouse.
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 12:09:16 pm »
It's funny how everyone screams 'nerf sarranid' while 70% of cav rides champ courser...

Anyways, buffing amored horses would hardly help as cav players, who play shitloads of upkeep all the time, would have to pay an even bigger shitload of upkeep for the armored horse - and they simply cant afford it.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 02:01:19 pm »
So perhaps decrease tank-horse upkeep. Certainly make horses louder, if possible. Perhaps nerf the faster horses' maneuverability. Need to boost armor/hp to compensate (charge?).

Several complaints regarding 'loljumpslash'.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 02:10:42 pm »
It is common knowledge that tank horses are underused. Yes, everyone uses a courser (or arabian) these days, I amongst them. And I have to agree with OP completely.
Chasing backstabs and easy kills like the worst pussy in the world is getting boring.

Also K/D doesn't say shit. It's usually lancers topping the boards, but it's not because cavalry is OP, but because people haven't learned to watch their backs.
Hell, I'd rather have less kills and a better armored horse to survive longer and help my team (with same upkeep), rather than lurking around for afk people and then getting my horse 2 shotted.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:14:24 pm by Vibe »