Author Topic: Kinda torn between two polearms  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Shinvega

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Kinda torn between two polearms
« on: June 09, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »
Newb question but a serious one so please dont flame me lol.

Ok so I hit lvl 30 yesterday and I've been playin with an elegant poleaxe but I feel pretty slow and my swings are pretty blockable. I do pretty well for myself but I was wondering. Would I be better to get a Bec (I know everyone has them and no im not tryin to be like Goretooth) or stay with my poleaxe. So ultimately my question is does the build below do better justice with the poleaxe or with a bec? If not what kinda build should I be looking at if I do go with a bec?

My build is:

Strength 24 
Agility 15

Polearm 146

Iron Flesh 0
Power Strike 8 
Athletics 5
Riding 5 
Weapon Master 5 

Like I said I'm still fairly new to the game and any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

-Osyrix

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Kinda torn between two polearms
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 06:46:33 pm »
I always prefered the Poleaxe to the elegant version, but that is just me.

Personally, I would use the weapon that covers your largest frustration. If shielders give you a very hard time then the poleaxe will be a better choice as it has a high damage which allows it to exploit the "bonus against shields" rather well. It also has appreaciable better reach then the Bec. However, the bec will perform better against armoured targets, so if you feel you are not taking them down fast enough then I would choose the Bec. As for the popularity thing, they are both about equally common in my opinion (roughly) so don't worry about that.

If I had no alternatives and had to choose between the two, then I would personally go for the Poleaxe as I don't like fighting shielders, and your 8 PS will allow you to take targets down fast anyways (the extra length of the axe will allow you to hit horses a wee bit easier too).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:47:53 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:18:02 pm »
The Elegant and Bec play very similarly, both are short/fast "dueling" polearms. Just choose if you'd rather have an advantage against shields or plate.

Like Tears said, the regular Poleaxe is the way to go IMHO. It has a high dmg thrust, so you still get can opener abilities like the Bec, but it's longer and breaks shields. Cheaper than the elegant to boot.  You wouldn't want to duel a ninja with one, but it's a very versatile weapon that is good (but not great) at everything.

Offline Shinvega

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:27:38 pm »
awesome responses guys thank you!

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:07:35 am »
The Elegant and Bec play very similarly, both are short/fast "dueling" polearms. Just choose if you'd rather have an advantage against shields or plate.

Like Tears said, the regular Poleaxe is the way to go IMHO. It has a high dmg thrust, so you still get can opener abilities like the Bec, but it's longer and breaks shields. Cheaper than the elegant to boot.  You wouldn't want to duel a ninja with one, but it's a very versatile weapon that is good (but not great) at everything.

Disagree about the last part, it's awesome vs. Ninjas :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:01:38 pm »
i prefer 18/21 build. i like speedy attacks/movements.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:23:32 am »
Depends on your playstyle.

The bec is an excellent deconstructing weapon, but you need to close in like crazy to use it.

Poleaxe is a good standoff weapon.

And honestly, feeling slow with a polearm wpf of 146 is silly. I do fine with far less with the same weapons you're using.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login