Author Topic: UIF Coalition  (Read 31696 times)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: UIF Coalition
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 12:36:56 am »
Proper war, good tactics... from who do you expect that? Well, unless the other alliance decides to hire us :D

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 12:58:11 am »
For everyone I've asked so far, in our guild and some others - Pub Crawl was boring, we wanted proper war, some good tactics, not just 1 big army with drinking beer attitude who got trappend in 3 towns until kicked out.  But again, that was not for us to decide, that you turned war into a joke.  :)

There was never any proper war or good tactics after the very first village battles vs independents. It didn't take long for everything to become a matter of routine, and in the end conventional warfare became purely a question of grinding, nolifing, and pushing the flaws of the game system to breaking point. None of that constitutes "tactics" -- there was very little room for those with the way the game was being played. Thus, since it was impossible to have a good war, we decided to settle for a few good battles. Better than nothing. :lol:

In the end, it's a question of different outlooks and different ideas about what's fun and what isn't. Hopefully in the future the game will accommodate both sets of thinking.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:01:33 am by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Nebun

• Duke
  • Renown: 532
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • - BAD BECAUSE RUSSIAN -
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 02:00:08 am »
I see enough tactics in wars with templars, ninjas and fallens. I've enjoyed them. Even when we was losing to ninjas at start it was fun.
When fallens attacked multiple fiefs at the same time it was fun. Even BIA small actions in fallen territories in last few days was fun.

True - fun is different for everyone.
when UIF looks at you
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 02:27:27 am »
I never said my opinion was important, i'm just saying that if UIF stays as it is now, i'm pretty sure there's gonna be another big alliance grouping against them, and it will be a 1v1 big war. And i doubt people want that. If we wanted such a 1v1 war, what would be the point of having multiple factions and all ? For them all(or nearly all) to regroup under two banners to do a big war ? Hell no...
And don't quite this "big clans have a lot of land, so of course smaller clans group up". Since when where the DRZ a small clan ? xD

And finally, don't give me this Pub Crawl was boring bullshit. I think  it was rather interesting. After seeing, boringly, the templars being crushed by an alliance of clans.
And even if Pub Crawl wasn't that RP, at least :
-It tried to be. Let's drink in all taverns.
-It consisted of clans who were friendly with each other, and since a pretty long time.

I never ever saw one RP reason for you all to form UIF.

But enough with this one sided discussion, i don't care who the DRZ are allied with, or whatever, as you don't care about us.
I'm saying that if UIF stays as it is, or gets even bigger, then strategus will get boring, since you all act like one.
Then again, strategus is less going to be a risk game, but with more option, so much more interesting.

To be honest, the reason why the Crusaders of Acre became friends with the UIF was because of 2 reasons:

1: Because they showed us kindness by helping us, a new and smaller clan, out.
2: We quickly seen the world coming to 2 sides, as you said. I seen our new neighbors as a threat that might have wiped us out "just because", and wanted to preserve my faction as best as I could.

So... you're right about this two-sided thing. However, with a billion clans forming every day, there are new threats. On the other hand though, you have the Northern Empire and the Mercenaries, who are some of the largest clans (land-wise) on Strategus. They're extremely powerful because they've been hoarding all of their troops and gold. Maybe some theme battles here or there? Naaaah, that's BORING.

My point is, that with all these huge ass clans that are neutral, not doing any kind of battles, THAT'S what makes strategus boring. The two sided world war is boring as well, but nobody else will step in. Neutrality is good, yes, but it gets boring after months upon months, upon months of it.

The UIF is fighting because if they were like everyone else, they would be bitched at just the same as they are now. Just saying... neutrality is good, but not when EVERYONE does it ALL the time.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 03:29:49 am »
I think a large 2 sided alliance type war is more boring, but I also think that is what will happen regardless of whether or not UIF stays together.  It's just political science.  If one side finds itself losing a war, it will naturally try to find allies.  I made a post about win conditions to try and give individual clans reasons to break their alliances and go for a win. 

I find strategus fun as it is right now, though I can understand why some can't.  An all out war in strategus can be incredibly taxing.  You may need to reschedule your whole life around to make the important battles ect.  During that time Nebun mentioned when we attacked multiple DRZ targets, it was exciting but it was also a pretty horrific weekend.  We had battles scheduled every few hours and by the end of the night there had been so much fighting that we didn't have anyone physically able to show up anymore. 

I personally wish that the Pub Crawl hadn't happened as it screwed up the natural progression of the game.  The UIF formed between smaller clans trying to fight a big alliance.  The Pub Crawl essentially gave a huge amount of land to the UIF and turned an alliance built on necessity into a truly massive beast.  We fought alongside the UIF clans when the Templars were a major threat to the free world and we turned on the UIF when they were suddenly overwelmingly powerful after the Pub Crawl.  I think the game would have been a lot more exciting with more war, intrigue, and overall action if the UIF had been left with just Templar lands.

If strategus is wiped I can understand why clans would want to keep the same relationships.  They have built a friendship through war and know that they can work well together.  Why wouldn't they?  I'm guessing we will probably look at a reset strategus with a clean slate though, because it would be more fun that way.  But of course, you never know  :twisted: What i really hope is that there is some way for smaller clans to have more of an impact and that there is a way for them to take and hold territory when the enemy holds more fiefs.  Perhaps by reducing the amount of troops generated by fiefs and increasing the amount generated by recruiting players? 

Offline Nebun

• Duke
  • Renown: 532
  • Infamy: 162
  • - BAD BECAUSE RUSSIAN -
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 05:15:10 am »
Fallen_Boss_Awesome, +1
when UIF looks at you

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 05:39:07 am »
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 11:39:14 am »
I think a large 2 sided alliance type war is more boring, but I also think that is what will happen regardless of whether or not UIF stays together.  It's just political science.  If one side finds itself losing a war, it will naturally try to find allies.  I made a post about win conditions to try and give individual clans reasons to break their alliances and go for a win. 

I find strategus fun as it is right now, though I can understand why some can't.  An all out war in strategus can be incredibly taxing.  You may need to reschedule your whole life around to make the important battles ect.  During that time Nebun mentioned when we attacked multiple DRZ targets, it was exciting but it was also a pretty horrific weekend.  We had battles scheduled every few hours and by the end of the night there had been so much fighting that we didn't have anyone physically able to show up anymore. 

I personally wish that the Pub Crawl hadn't happened as it screwed up the natural progression of the game.  The UIF formed between smaller clans trying to fight a big alliance.  The Pub Crawl essentially gave a huge amount of land to the UIF and turned an alliance built on necessity into a truly massive beast.  We fought alongside the UIF clans when the Templars were a major threat to the free world and we turned on the UIF when they were suddenly overwelmingly powerful after the Pub Crawl.  I think the game would have been a lot more exciting with more war, intrigue, and overall action if the UIF had been left with just Templar lands.

If strategus is wiped I can understand why clans would want to keep the same relationships.  They have built a friendship through war and know that they can work well together.  Why wouldn't they?  I'm guessing we will probably look at a reset strategus with a clean slate though, because it would be more fun that way.  But of course, you never know  :twisted: What i really hope is that there is some way for smaller clans to have more of an impact and that there is a way for them to take and hold territory when the enemy holds more fiefs.  Perhaps by reducing the amount of troops generated by fiefs and increasing the amount generated by recruiting players?

+3

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 12:27:51 pm »
I still would pay to see a DRZ - 22nd war :D

Offline Lansamur

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lansamur, The_Prisoner,Beer_Storage, Carebear_Ravenei
  • IRC nick: Lansamur
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 12:51:31 pm »
Proper war, good tactics... from who do you expect that? Well, unless the other alliance decides to hire us :D

I saw good tactics and warfare from UIF and some opponents. As far as Mercs are concerned... Huh? The battles you initiated and I was part in were neither good warfare nor a tactical "masterpiece". Your individual fighters might be as good as few people are, but regarding teamwork, you generally fail, even if achieving the goals you set yourself. That's at least my opinion, which nobody is interested in anyways.

I cant foresee the future, but as Guards/Merchants probably will try to stay as Neutral as possible to every faction. We want trade contracts, not war. Our Guard-part will be kinda like the Mercs, just not as heavily focussed.
[22:17] <@chadz> congratz cmpxchg8b, you managed to put 995 errors into the item sheet!
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> epic winning
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> beat that Fasader

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guard of Istiniar
  • Game nicks: IG_Earl_Alexander
  • IRC nick: ISPCA_Alexanger
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 02:00:24 pm »
I still would pay to see a DRZ - 22nd war :D

You looking for this?

=P

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 02:01:36 pm »
I saw good tactics and warfare from UIF and some opponents. As far as Mercs are concerned... Huh? The battles you initiated and I was part in were neither good warfare nor a tactical "masterpiece". Your individual fighters might be as good as few people are, but regarding teamwork, you generally fail, even if achieving the goals you set yourself. That's at least my opinion, which nobody is interested in anyways.

I cant foresee the future, but as Guards/Merchants probably will try to stay as Neutral as possible to every faction. We want trade contracts, not war. Our Guard-part will be kinda like the Mercs, just not as heavily focussed.

Huh. You obviously weren't there for the Merc battles that i was in.

Offline Astinus

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Armata Brancaleone
  • Game nicks: AB_Astinus
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 02:13:27 pm »
Kinda agree with Nebun and the Boss, Strategus wasn't the game I dreamed back then, but the diplomacy intrigues and troubles of trying to stop the russian tide was fun, the costant planning was fun and the meeting in TS of "The Good Friends" was fun too. The battles were quite boring thought and Pub Crawls simply killed current strategus's game: me and also others stopped playing after Yalen's siege...

After the wipe I see no real point in keeping the UIF as it is right now because there will be swarm of new clans starting almost all in the same condition and land thirsty. Of course people who trusted each other will still have good relation, but this can even mean they will be honourably fighting

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 02:21:04 pm »
I hope that with the wipe there will be new alliance and new intrigue, just a new game. Ofc clans will not attack a former ally (even if it happens in the past) but there are many new clan. Templar was the biggest clan in the past, things have change, now it's'UIF, things could change one more time (even if they have real allies).

Btw, considering Mercs,they are good, but they don't show great things about tactic and teamplay, i remember a siege with horses...

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 02:35:02 pm »
Btw, considering Mercs,they are good, but they don't show great things about tactic and teamplay, i remember a siege with horses...

Are you nuts? That was an awesome idea! The plan was to mount heavy horses, rush up the siege tower and run across the rail
to bump as much archers as possible while ladders are put up.

It hasn't worked so well because everyone could take a horse and with 0 riding skill getting speed is a long process and you got
easily blocked at the ramp of the siege tower.
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.