Author Topic: Throwing... could you possibly make it any more useless?  (Read 24039 times)

Offline Team_Jacob

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing... could you possibly make it any more useless?
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2011, 07:41:03 am »
I hate to break it to you, but the game was already modified with the slot system and unsheathable tags in order to avoid this silliness that you propose because in this case, realism = good model for the game.

Throwing should apply just like all the melee weapons do.  I can't carry 4 2h'd weapons, sheath a pike or carry 3 scrubscarl shields + a bastard sword.  You can't carry 16 throwing axes.  Both ideas are silly and should be prevented like the devs have done already.

The dunce cap has, and will remain, firmly upon your own head.
 :rolleyes:

Way to completely just repeat your previous argument which I refuted without any rebuttal whatsoever from yourself. Please get a GED and then come back and we can have an actual argument. If you are really so infatuated with realism then you need to reduce your FoV to 30, only be able to swing your bec a few times before getting tired, and you are only allowed to sprint short distances. Your black armor would also be completely useless against heavy weapons due to the blunt trauma inflicted on you. Archers should be able to carry nearly 60 arrows and a bow. Crossbowmen shouldn't be able to carry nearly 50 bolts. It would just look silly in real life to have that many quivers to carry all of those. If someone throws an axe at you, you have to cower in fear for a second or two, you aren't allowed to fight back, you have to flinch.

Stfu with realism and present some actual gameplay suggestions please.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2011, 08:18:39 am »
You didn't refute shit you pleb.

Melee weapons have slots and unsheathable tags in order to prevent silly stupid scenarios such as I described.  You don't get your 16 axes for the same fucking reason, which has everything to do with keeping it in-line with what's in the mod currently.

Do you even play this game or just drool on yourself while facerolling over the keyboard?

*Indeed Jacob, everything that is similar to realism is terrible for the game.  There shouldn't be gravity, horses should fly, and everyone should breath fire every time they whistle.*
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:26:38 am by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2011, 08:34:49 am »
There shouldn't be gravity, horses should fly, and everyone should breath fire every time they whistle.*

+1. I'd totally play that. Fire Breathing Space Knights ftw.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Team_Jacob

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2011, 08:51:39 am »
+1. I'd totally play that. Fire Breathing Space Knights ftw.

He may not be able to form a coherent and intelligent argument, but damn he has some good ideas for video games. Space Unicorns vs. Space Dragons? Yes please.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2011, 08:56:40 am »
Good to know that your only real argument always boils down to the internet equivalent of plugging your ears and screaming "LALALALALALALALALAL I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALLALALALA"

I will now leave you to your bundle of sticksry.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Team_Jacob

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2011, 09:52:21 am »
Did some testing, it's 13 wpf per PT. It will also tell you if you have too much armor on (tested by putting a helmet on after having the minimum 13 per PT).

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2011, 05:22:03 pm »
Both of you shut up. Shoving beans in our ears is for off topic, not this thread.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2011, 05:58:10 pm »
Throwing is a supplementary weapon, mainly for 1h +shield builds. The ammo is low, the weapons have short distance, with a shitty to moderate damage amount. This is important for throwing weapons to keep their upkeep down, so they remain accessible as a supplementary weapon.

Most of the problems in this game boils down to difficulty requirements and wpf. If throwing was strength based difficulty-wise, more people would take throwing, as they should.

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2011, 11:58:22 pm »
Throwing is a supplementary weapon

Not if you are a dedicated thrower, but then every thread on the subject has mentioned that on numerous occasions.

You'll notice that the vast majority of those who had really vocal opposition to what happened were the dedicated throwers as those who did only have it as a back up didn't really care, the core of their character was still fine and on retirement they could just take anything spent on throwing to something else.

Now I don't think throwing should be unusable as a backup choice (certainly in my opinion it is nice to have more choice than just a spear as a cavalry deterrent) however it needs to be good enough for dedicated throwers to be playable while not being too powerful as a back up.

No one wants a return to the old hybrid throwers.

Of course there have been a lot of thoughts on how to manage this put forward in the various threads on the subject.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:59:26 pm by AlbaTiger »

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2011, 12:08:40 am »
Dedicated throwers are still fucking scary if you ask me... "Pebble Pusher" anyone? He makes me flee these days when throwing is supposed to be nerfed beyond oblivion. The fact that someone would want a person like that buffed is beyond my comprehension.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2011, 12:33:17 am »
I'm fine with throwing weapons being considered supplementary. I don't know if anyone actually wants that because the original complaints were that too many people were hucking things around. Whatever though. Throwing isn't supposed to be focused build, but it's the people who make it one anyway that shine. If you want lots of ammo, go crossbow or bow. At most throwing ammo is just a little too low to even be worth it as a supplementary weapon. They could use at least +1 to their stack sizes. Other then that I will quote myself since this is the real problem.

Quote from: Cheap_Shot
A str melee build for instance has no such restriction for getting powerstrike, making high strength melee fighters 1 hit kill machines with little drawback, and full option to split into other skills and wear as much armor as needed. That's fine. The higher level you get the more you should be able to diversify and be overall more effective. They can even go above PS 10 since the cap was raised somewhere around 15-16. More points = better is how it should be.

Throwing has been assigned a limiting system which requires agi, even though unlike archery, it's related skills are all strength based. That's the major problem. The more you strive for high level throwing, the more you handicap your character, unlike every other build which gets better with more investment. That's the problem that needs to be fixed. Right now with throwing, More points =/= better. The more points you put in, the more you are fighting against tricky and unexplained limiting systems that do not follow the same mechanics as the rest of the game. That's what needs to change more then anything.

It would be nice if wpf had more of an impact on throwing accuracy. Stack size could use the smallest of increases. There is a bigger problem though. Throwing is strength based. An agility based limiting system does not work for it, like it does for archery. That is the biggest problem.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:36:10 am by Cheap_Shot »
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2011, 12:35:06 am »
edit: double post
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2011, 01:03:00 am »
It would be nice if wpf had more of an impact on throwing accuracy. Stack size could use the smallest of increases. There is a bigger problem though. Throwing is strength based. An agility based limiting system does not work for it, like it does for archery. That is the biggest problem.

Well, again, why is throwing str based? Because the warband engine (which was never programmed for customizable mp characters anyway) works that way?
I think the devs have more and more ability to change the engine and that's exactly one step in this direction. If you pick high wpf it does already add a lot more damage than it did before according to my tests, so it does pay off.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2011, 03:40:06 pm »
Oh, I fully support dedicated throwers; I think its funny, cool, and possibly useful in certain situations, or often useful if you are a pro. However, I don't believe that weapon function should be distorted to fit some arbitrary conception of a "class".

I wish that I could take some javelins or axes for my melee builds once in a while, but I'm unwilling to invest in powerthrow. if the difficulty was str based, I would occasionally find it cost-effective to use them. Whether their gold cost is fair right now, I cannot say, but I'd imagine they would be pretty cheap relatively.

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Sphinx_
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2011, 08:10:12 am »
Hybrid throwers were OP, and to fix it you had two choices :

1- Make wpf required to throw/pick up throwing weapons (less accurate now, and doesn't throw as far as before)

2- Make throwing weapons take 2 slots

3- Reduce stacks

Any of those 3 options would have been okay, but they have chosen the 3 of them ! War Darts became the only good thing to throw because it was 1 slot and was 7 per stacks, but now it's down to 4. It's pointless now to go thrower as if you use a weapon as back up (cause you can't just throw anymore), you're stuck having no wpf in that weapon and you're facing most of the time dedicted build with high wpf (so much faster than you)... In any case you're screwed :X

Give back bigger stacks or remove that wpf requirements please