Poll

Make a choice!

1.) decrease speed/maneuverability, add health.
23 (28.8%)
2.) decrease armor, decrease cost/ balance to armored horse cost
6 (7.5%)
3.) +20 charge damage, half speed reduction for charge.
7 (8.8%)
4.) make a suggestion
14 (17.5%)
5.) increasing armor/hp/charge and reducing maneuver
12 (15%)
6.) "I dont have a suggestion in a suggestions thread, i think they are fine."
18 (22.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Save the Horses Suggestion Thread :'(  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
Save the Horses Suggestion Thread :'(
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:19:51 pm »
Lets save the horses, since they cant save themselves; we have to make these jackasses realize that its all messed up! this is why donkeys aren't allowed to code :P

Jest aside, horses are crap right now, and we need to fix it so that everyone is happy; i got some pre-baked solutions for everyone based on the assumption that this is true:

-horses are underpowered for various reasons, like cost, health, armor, and the ratio of that on horses.
-infantry don't like horses plowing into them, and are vehemently against a buff
-archers like 1-2 shotting horses as it is halfway across the map
-the time of the knight has almost drawn to a close :(

1.) decrease speed/maneuverability, add health.

the reasoning behind this is that if you take away speed of horses, they are somewhat easier to predict and deal with, but at the same time that in this case it should not be an easy 1 or 2 hit kill, and that it should take 2 or 3 people to take down a determined horseman; not a lone ninja with a longbow and a spiked mace.

take 2-5 speed and 2-5 maneuver, and add 30-60 health depending on how many points are taken.

2.) decrease armor, decrease cost/ balance to armored horse cost

if there are going to be 1-2 hit archer potshots for balance sake, at least make it so we dont have to pay out the wazoo for a practically naked, low health horse.

horses are expensive, and so here is what i propose;  decrease the amount of armor that all unarmored horses have to 0 (logic), and decrease their cost by half.

horses that have armor keep their armor, but cost 10,000 gold less.

3.) +20 charge damage, half speed reduction for charge.

as it is, unless you have a plated charger, you will not see much results, and even then you may hit 3 people in a group. logically, if you were charging through a disorganized mob, you would not only do more damage, but crash through many more people

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11962905  - plainclothes british students know the fear of being trampled, and disperse accordingly.

4.) make a suggestion

5.) Marathon's idea
I've thought a lot about re-working horses, and testing in some mods how they play in single player, etc.
And I've also noticed that speed can stay the same if maneuverability is lowered greatly. It forces cavalry to take more prominent lines, and to slow down if they want to turn sharp corners like in towns. It fixes every stupid issue complaint that people have.

So, I figured something like this works really really well and gives cav a stronger actual cav roll, but has no stupid shit happen.

*leave speed mostly untouched
*Greatly reduce maneuverability
*add more charge damage
*Add more health and armor

*leave their attack/animations/etc alone. The maneuverability will fix any of the stupid issues involving lancemen just sitting outside someone's reach until they  are engaged by somebody.

So, This will make horses more resilient, more capable of doing cavalry charges like cavalry actually did. They would take a couple more hits to go down. They would fill their cavalry roll better. Cav would enjoy it, infantry would enjoy it. Archers Won't care either way, it may take them 2 more arrows to bring down a horse, but they won't get circle-lanced, bump lanced, etc, all day.

This is coming from a mostly infantry player, although I've played cav quite a bit as well. You can't judge something you haven't played!

6.) Its fine

congratulations for not participating in a thread designed to come up with ideas and solutions to make everyone happy, instead you are going to argue that horses are fine, or counter poll. go ahead then.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:31:36 pm by Soldier_of_God »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
Re: Save the Horses Suggestion Thread :'(
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:33:57 pm »
Ah, I see.

You haven't played on the EU servers lately, have you?
Eventhough horses get killed by 1-3 arrows, most cav have no trouble keeping a very positive kd ratio.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:34:09 pm »
I voted 4. My suggestion is to add a "It's fine as it is now." option in the poll.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:35:12 pm »
Horses are fine, they just have a tad to much maneuver. If you cant do well on a horse, then you should rethink your class  8-)
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:38:18 pm »
I've thought a lot about re-working horses, and testing in some mods how they play in single player, etc.
And I've also noticed that speed can stay the same if maneuverability is lowered greatly. It forces cavalry to take more prominent lines, and to slow down if they want to turn sharp corners like in towns. It fixes every stupid issue complaint that people have.

So, I figured something like this works really really well and gives cav a stronger actual cav roll, but has no stupid shit happen.

*add more charge damage

*leave their attack/animations/etc alone. The maneuverability will fix any of the stupid issues involving lancemen just sitting outside someone's reach until they  are engaged by somebody.

So, This will make horses more resilient, more capable of doing cavalry charges like cavalry actually did. They would take a couple more hits to go down. They would fill their cavalry roll better. Cav would enjoy it, infantry would enjoy it. Archers Won't care either way, it may take them 2 more arrows to bring down a horse, but they won't get circle-lanced, bump lanced, etc, all day.

This is coming from a mostly infantry player, although I've played cav quite a bit as well. You can't judge something you haven't played!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:42:32 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:30:41 pm »
prices definitely need to be readjusted so courser/arab/plated all cost the same, as they're the best for their chosen task.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:49:17 pm »
I agree with Marathon, lower maneouverability and increase HP/bump damage. I played during the elephant wars, and frankly, it was kind of fun as infantry. If horses were restored to the values they had back then, but nerfed in maneouverability, all would be fine IMO. Upkeep already prevents massive amounts of elephant riders anyway.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:12:08 pm »
Horses certainly do work as they currently are, within the grand scheme of cRPG game mechanics and balance and shit. However, I do not want to ride a horse that's "fine as it is now", the entire idea of cavalry in this game is mildly fucked up: they're high-speed, sneaky ninjas made of paper (wet paper). The idea of cavalry is faulty, but as others have stated, the actual implementation sort of works as things stand.

Fast, maneuverable horses with low health have their counters and strengths. They are neither overpowered, nor are they weak... they are balanced, and fit well in cRPG. As two people have stated, it's more than possible to do well as a cavalry player (for those of you who are confused: the arguement isn't that cavalry can't get a positive k/d ratio. We all know that's not true. You're retarted if you think cav can't get kills. You may also be retarted for thinking that other people think that cav can't get kills.)

Of course, I think horses being like this is fucking stupid. I very much dislike the fact that cavalry players need to rely on suprise and a lance longer than their enemy's weapon in order to get kills (and get kills they do). I think many other cavalry players would agree with me that it would be better if they had the option to charge into the thick of shit, actually holding their own against other players in melee. Wouldn't epic cavalry charges be better than what we have now? Wouldn't two or three horsemen slamming into the flank of an enemy gaggle-fuck, hacking with swords and stabbing with lances, and NOT DIEING INSTANTLY be better than what we have now? Wouldn't it be great to not have to shy away from the actual battle, resolving instead to target archers or people on the flanks?

I think that Marathon's suggesetion of increasing armor/hp/charge and reducing maneuver is a good one. Maneuver wouldn't be gone, of course, instead--as he said--horses would have to slow down in order to maneuver. In a fight, horses would be moving more slowly, and thus would be capable of maneuvering about. Horses would be more survivable, and perhaps we might even be able to fight! The speed and charge would allow for cavalry charges into blocks of baddies. The speed staying nearly the same also makes sense, since horses, being horses, are fast and like running about.

tl;dr: read the bold shit.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 10:34:43 pm »
if so,  the "poopstick stops plated charger"  thingy would have to be changed.  also,  remember that actually our heavy cav can do just what u  are suggesting,  they would only need a speed buff with an increased speed-manuver-penalty.  however having light horses charge into formations is semi gay because its quite realistic that they would get killed like they are getting killed atm.

just my 2cents oc
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:38:12 pm »

-horses are underpowered for various reasons

bwahahahahahaahahah
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 10:42:02 pm »
The poopstick situation could be changed if spears would have to be prepared before being able to rear horses. Maybe x-mode could be used for that. Ideally, it should also reflect that in the animation, by making the spearman put the butt of the spear on the ground and standing on it, like this:

http://iloapp.bagotsregiment.org.uk/gallery/gallery?MobileAlbum&album=0&image=15

Of course, it should not be possible to rear horses in one-handed spear mode.

Also, I feel that cav should be good. They were the tanks of the middle ages. I hate how everything must be balanced to mediocrity. Make them powerful, but slow to turn at full speed. Introduce x-mode for spears that rears horses and adds damage bonus.

I am infantry, BTW.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:44:16 pm by zagibu »
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:37 pm »
Horses are fine, they just have a tad to much maneuver. If you cant do well on a horse, then you should rethink your class  8-)

They're not fine since they have this tad too much maneuver. :P

I voted for option 1, even if my MW strongbow archer alts needs 2 arrows for an arabian horse, and 4-5 for a courser already.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Chaos

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Takeda
  • Game nicks: Chaos_Takeda, Spec_Ops_Chaos_Takeda
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:11:19 pm »
They're not fine since they have this tad too much maneuver. :P

I voted for option 1, even if my MW strongbow archer alts needs 2 arrows for an arabian horse, and 4-5 for a courser already.

4-5 if that horse is galloping away from you at full speed or at long range.
I feel as though my unloomed courser works fine, as even with 7 riding my horse tends to run into things it doesnt like, i.e. arrows, bolts, and pointy sticks. MY xbow alt also has little trouble dealing with cavalry, even when he dons armor and forsakes his xbow in favor of a decent 2h. The high maneuver horses, on the other hand, are pretty ridiculous. Its ridiculously easy to dodge and lance on a frickin steppe horse on my cav character, and my xbower cant deal with arabian warhorses 1v1 despite using a miaodao, 2.5 weight fur clothing, and 8 athletics. High maneuver horses need a maneuver nerf and a health buff (but leave their armor ratings alone)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 11:17:50 pm »

*add more charge damage

Please start your own thread with this suggestion as this is one of the best ideas so far.  +50 Hp/+5 armor/-15 maneuver is what I suggest.  Maybe you could put the numbers you were thinking of when you start your onw thread.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18:16 pm »