Author Topic: Strong bow or Longbow?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Adalwulf

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Adalwulf
Strong bow or Longbow?
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:05:54 am »
Can't decide which is better. would like some opinions on what others have found between them. Thanks :)

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
Re: Strong bow or Longbow?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:18:17 am »
If you're not going HA you should definately go for longbow. It has piercing damage ffs! That means that with the longbow you are able to deal massive damage also to armored opponents. Which in practice means that you deal shitloads of damage to anyone once you meet the requirements for the longbow.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:50:04 am »
Unfortunately Long Bow also means you can't bring a slotted sidearm, and that you will be at a serious disadvantage in archer duels due to the speed.

Long Bow (vs Strong Bow):
Pros:
Straighter arrow trajectory
~10% more damage against peasants, ~50% more damage against armored (rough guesswork based on melee calculator)

Cons:
Fires significantly slower, which hurts most when fighting other archers, kiting melee or defending against cav
Takes 2 slots, meaning you lose out on either a third bag of arrows or a 1-slot sidearm
Can't be used on horseback - not an issue for a foot archer, but makes you less flexible in later generations if you want to MW it

It comes down to your play style. If you want to stand in the back and plink arrows artillery style all day, go long bow. If you want flexibility and to be a bit closer to the action, go strong bow. Also, I'd think long and hard before I loomed a long bow since it is so inflexible.

Honestly, if you can't decide, build your archer with 6 PD and buy both, then loom the one you like most. You'll be swimming in money as a foot archer anyway.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:51:10 am by Elerion »

Offline Adalwulf

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Adalwulf
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:22:06 pm »
Alright thank you for you're suggestions. i'm gonna stick with strong bow I suppose. I like to be closer to the action and help infantry out. Thanks for the help. :)

Offline Nagasoup

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Donkey
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:21:04 am »
Actually... longbow is GREAT for short range infantry support. As long as you pay attention and don't be afraid to take a few risks, you can usually take out meleers who try to chase you in 2 shots. The longbow is actually not too good for long range due to its bad accuracy; its actually the least accurate bow.

Seriously try the longbow out its awesome. I've been doing realllyyyy good with it, and i own in short range.