Author Topic: Post here for a decrese in combat melee speed.  (Read 802 times)

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Post here for a decrese in combat melee speed.
« on: January 10, 2011, 07:40:18 am »
Please post here for a decrease in combat melee speed.  :D

Well I sort of started this thread in a joking type of mood when I read the other thread encouraging more speed, however giving it some further thought I really think that if combat speed was even slower then now, the game would become more skill base and less spamtastic. 

Think about it, how many times in the game have you encountered a spammer laughingly you took him lightly just to end up dead thanks to lag due to a full server or thanks to just general lagginess for no apparent reason (like NA siege server today). 

I think that reduced speed would actually create longer melee fights where players would be rewarded for good blocking skills timing, feinting and an above average level of skill.  Spamming would cease to exist since well you really could not spam anymore, even on full servers with a bit of lag on them. 

Let me know what you think.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
Re: Post here for a decrese in combat melee speed.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:50:51 am »
Fail. If someone you call a "spammer" kills you, 9 times out of 10, they just spammed you because you couldnt stop them. Most "spammers" can block, and do, but its easier to keep turtles under their shields and just beat them into the ground. Same with tincans and the like, just keep hitting them, most of them have gimped builds that they have footshot by wearing silly amounts of armour, and have skimped on agility just to be able to get into their plate quickly, therefor lack wpf even more, but they 1hit, so you have to keep hitting them while you can.

So: Reduce combat speed is going to lead to same thing: Faster players will STILL be faster, will still attack nonstop when they know you cannot stop them, throwers will still be OP, and the game will be more boring. Just mho.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:53:38 am by Grey »
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:07:11 am »
Fail. If someone you call a "spammer" kills you, 9 times out of 10, they just spammed you because you couldnt stop them. Most "spammers" can block, and do, but its easier to keep turtles under their shields and just beat them into the ground. Same with tincans and the like, just keep hitting them, most of them have gimped builds that they have footshot by wearing silly amounts of armour, and have skimped on agility just to be able to get into their plate quickly, therefor lack wpf even more, but they 1hit, so you have to keep hitting them while you can.

So: Reduce combat speed is going to lead to same thing: Faster players will STILL be faster, will still attack nonstop when they know you cannot stop them, throwers will still be OP, and the game will be more boring. Just mho.

Yes if a spammer kills you 9 out of 10 then you are doing something wrong. 

In my view the game would become even more interesting and less boring, timing and feinting would take a more prominent role since currently these two skills are definitely in the back seat.  The current go to technique for most players in the game is the spam.  If you do not believe me go to the 120 NA server and watch a couple of battles in the beginning and middle phases of infantry melee, spamtastic is an accurate one word description.  Only at the end with a few good players left (and less lag on the server) does the fighting become about skill and not spam.  A reduction of melee speed would reduce the spam if not altogether get rid of it and force the average player to adopt new and more interesting tactics and strategies in melee combat.  Overall it would make for longer more interesting and more enjoyable melee fights. 
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:29:21 am »
Yes if a spammer kills you 9 out of 10 then you are doing something wrong. 

In my view the game would become even more interesting and less boring, timing and feinting would take a more prominent role since currently these two skills are definitely in the back seat.  The current go to technique for most players in the game is the spam.  If you do not believe me go to the 120 NA server and watch a couple of battles in the beginning and middle phases of infantry melee, spamtastic is an accurate one word description.  Only at the end with a few good players left (and less lag on the server) does the fighting become about skill and not spam.  A reduction of melee speed would reduce the spam if not altogether get rid of it and force the average player to adopt new and more interesting tactics and strategies in melee combat.  Overall it would make for longer more interesting and more enjoyable melee fights.

I'm sorry, but this is simply nonsensical. Melee speed has already been reduced enough that blocking has become laughably easier than it used to be. If melee speed is slowed further, every feint would be blocked, too. The spamming that I do see is a result of facing someone with longer weapon length. That's your culprit there. Especially if you're using a 1-hander or other short weapon.