Poll

Should riding give same percentage boost as athletics??

Yes, long overdue, queer unbalance that horses get so much faster while infantry gets marginally faster
41 (58.6%)
Yes, but its hould be a minor buff to athletics not nerf to riding
23 (32.9%)
No, infantrymen are fast enough
6 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: June 13, 2011, 04:44:16 am

Author Topic: Make riding give same percentage boost to horses as athletcis does to infantry  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Red_Pike/Oriental_Red
Not true - rains slow down horses too. And infantry can walk on stairs and roofs and ladders, while horses can't. Oh, and wpf reduction is still here.

I just can't get why do you want to make infantry faster? You can't outrun a horse, by no means you can. Dodging horse charge is pretty easy now (unless it's a arabian horse). Cavalry always had an advantage over footmen on open space - what's wrong? Horses are the most expensive items in crpg now, so i think it's pretty balanced.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Not true - rains slow down horses too. And infantry can walk on stairs and roofs and ladders, while horses can't. Oh, and wpf reduction is still here.

I just can't get why do you want to make infantry faster? You can't outrun a horse, by no means you can. Dodging horse charge is pretty easy now (unless it's a arabian horse). Cavalry always had an advantage over footmen on open space - what's wrong? Horses are the most expensive items in crpg now, so i think it's pretty balanced.

Depends on the satirs and ladders, lol.

Easy to dodge, most people can downblock (which is useless against a couch or if you are ranged doesn't even exist, shots takes so long to draw back and fire and horses so fast hardly ever have time to switch to melee weapon), but since Janaury buff  (3 agility per riding, everyone else had lower athletics from the level 30 cap), very few people can consistently dodge a lance of an average cav player (people that do dodge lances are because the cav player is pretty bad at lancing).

Just swoop left to right or vice vers and he huge hitbox will easily pick anyone up unless they have 12 athletics.  Footmen have almost no time to dodge left or right anyway as horses move so fast that they are on top of them before the acceleration kicks in (that was another big nerf in january where you didn't just run fast as you were capable of given your weight and athletics, now you have a pretty serious acceleration phase that takes forever to get you moving at a decent speed, which makes dodging far more difficult).
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Depends on the satirs and ladders, lol.

Easy to dodge, most people can downblock (which is useless against a couch or if you are ranged doesn't even exist, shots takes so long to draw back and fire and horses so fast hardly ever have time to switch to melee weapon), but since Janaury buff  (3 agility per riding, everyone else had lower athletics from the level 30 cap), very few people can consistently dodge a lance of an average cav player (people that do dodge lances are because the cav player is pretty bad at lancing).

Just swoop left to right or vice vers and he huge hitbox will easily pick anyone up unless they have 12 athletics.  Footmen have almost no time to dodge left or right anyway as horses move so fast that they are on top of them before the acceleration kicks in (that was another big nerf in january where you didn't just run fast as you were capable of given your weight and athletics, now you have a pretty serious acceleration phase that takes forever to get you moving at a decent speed, which makes dodging far more difficult).

completely untrue.  average cav lancer prob takes 5+ passes to kill 1 person, thats including passes where the target is UNAWARE of the cav.  where as average shmo archer or 2h'er easily kills those cav foolish enough to fight them head on, its complete no contest.  the only cav that get kills head on are the above average ones fighting below average infantry

you're living in a dream world & clearly you have some sort of hatred toward cav.  the average cav player doesnt even come close to the average amount of kills by medium or heavy infantry, especially since so many maps are horrible for horses.

you seem to think every cav player is on par with spainard, huey newton or tommybyfire, which is clearly not the case.

arab and courser need to be nerfed and more expensive, thats how you fix cav, not raping the rest of the hardly ever used horses.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:59:05 pm by Digglez »

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
He's got a point. It's far from truth that every cav. player make 30-1 per map. On EU i can call few names - Leed, Oda_Ujin, some T's guys maybe, some GKs. Average horseman (like me) gets about 2:1 kd or even lower (usually it's around 6-7:3). My total k/d ratio is 1.23, which is far from being big  :mrgreen:

Sometimes, SOMETIMES (very rare) i indeed get like 20:4 or even 30:5-6, but it's not worth mentioning - it happened like 3 or 4 times. Ofc it was on random plains map with few hills. While super pro players like Leed (lol he's real beast with MW HLance and CHMP courser) gets 20+ kills per map every map.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:01:25 pm by Felix »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
completely untrue.  average cav lancer prob takes 5+ passes to kill 1 person, thats including passes where the target is UNAWARE of the cav.

That might be an exaggeration...
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Not all passes are complemented with attacks and hits. 3 hits at most. 4-5 at low speed.

Offline Chaos

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Takeda
  • Game nicks: Chaos_Takeda, Spec_Ops_Chaos_Takeda
That might be an exaggeration...

Believe it or not, archers that don't stand still dodge my lance frequently, and I'm using a heavy lance with a courser. Even on low speed passes, archers can fake me out and get off with an almost harmless bump or nothing at all. If they're not using a longbow then my horse either moves on or dies. Of course if the archer is using a longbow and I charge him head on then my horse is probably dead.

And anyone who plays with me frequently knows how often my horse dies to arrow fire now that shot speed is back to laser mode for archers.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
And anyone who plays with me frequently knows how often my horse dies to arrow fire now that shot speed is back to laser mode for archers.

That may be more to the fact that you are a high priority target from your clan tag, and now have demonstrated enough of a threat that archers make you out for a priority target from player skill too. From our end, we have multiple misses unless we catch you on a dedicated attack run.

If I go Cav hunting, I waste a lot of shots even with laser mode.

I do play with you frequently, and I do make you out to be a priority target as I don't go peasant hunting (that is easier and more efficient for the melee characters to do). How does it feel to be loved?  :lol:

You do bring up good points though.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Chaos

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
That may be more to the fact that you are a high priority target from your clan tag, and now have demonstrated enough of a threat that archers make you out for a priority target from player skill too. From our end, we have multiple misses unless we catch you on a dedicated attack run.

If I go Cav hunting, I waste a lot of shots even with laser mode.

I do play with you frequently, and I do make you out to be a priority target as I don't go peasant hunting (that is easier and more efficient for the melee characters to do). How does it feel to be loved?  :lol:

You do bring up good points though.

It feels like Darkkarma's steel bolt lodged in my cranial cavity and a few arrows in my courser's ass. The love is often returned though  :twisted:
After the first round of each game I usually hide from enemy archers as they tend to quickly develop an acute awareness of cavalry. I suppose general ranged horse killing is slightly distorted in my mind because my infantry characters use a xbow or throwing. It just astounds and sometimes pleases me that pub ranged characters rarely realize the importance of horse killing until they're dead.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
I have no problem with horse speed.. its just their ability to make sharp turns and slow or speed up unrealistically fast.

A galloping horse should be like a dive bomber

Swoop by

Stab

Continue out and take the time to make another run

not like the current bumper car strategy

- Swoop by / Stab / Turn around / stab / Run into a wall / Swoop by / Stab / 90 degree turn / Stab / see a pike in ur way / 90 degree turn

The ability of horses to rapidly charge directions and speed makes them able to go 0 to 60 in less than 15 feet
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
And kafein, I don't know about you but I ride a courser and I rarely go anywhere full speed anymore because pikes screw me up ALL the time
Courser maneuver is so terrible I usually end up slamming right into the pikes.

With the new lances, you cant really couch sideways very well, nor swing your lance back and forth quickly enough. I usually get 1shotted by some average footman who jumps ever so slightly out of my reach and stabs my horse. If you mean stabbing with a lance, I try to avoid doing that.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:31:34 am by TheDashingRogue »

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
yeh just my thoughts above. Cant give an unbiased opinion as cav is the only class that i havent played through a gen with

again i think speed is fine but the acceleration (going to full gallop in 10 yards) needs some fixing. It currently is easy to recover from otherwise MAJOR fuckups (IE hit a wall at 35 mph or get reared by a polearm)

another thought (again somewhat biased) is the health on coursers. For a horse of it's speed it really takes a lot of damage

as it stands the only unarmoured horse more durable than it is the destrier
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:50:30 am by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Chaos

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
yeh just my thoughts above. Cant give an unbiased opinion as cav is the only class that i havent played through a gen with

again i think speed is fine but the acceleration (going to full gallop in 10 yards) needs some fixing. It currently is easy to recover from otherwise MAJOR fuckups (IE hit a wall at 35 mph or get reared by a polearm)

What youre referring to is high maneuver, that controls cav proficiency in accelerating/decelerating and making turns. I also recognize that high maneuver horses are problematic, even though they have been nerfed time and again in the past so that theyre slow and very fragile. Dodging everything on the battlefield is too easy with an arabian warhorse

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
Personally I feel the courser should have its armour dropped from 18 to 15 or so. As it stands fairly robust considering how its supposed to be a hit and run sorta horse.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
i dont care about horses... i just want there to be a noticeable difference for each point you put into athletics. i had a guy with one handed axe who was consistently hitting me in the back whenever i would leave him behind to kill an archer... he had medium armour and 4 athletics compared to my gambeson and 8 athletics. if i get out of his swing range and start running... there is no way he should be able to catch up and hit me, but he did... 3 times.
ive chased guys with about the same weight as me, who had 7 athletics... it takes forever for me to catch them... each point of athletics is so damn minor... make them mean more!