Poll

Should riding give same percentage boost as athletics??

Yes, long overdue, queer unbalance that horses get so much faster while infantry gets marginally faster
41 (58.6%)
Yes, but its hould be a minor buff to athletics not nerf to riding
23 (32.9%)
No, infantrymen are fast enough
6 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: June 13, 2011, 04:44:16 am

Author Topic: Make riding give same percentage boost to horses as athletcis does to infantry  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Riding currently gives a much bigger boost than athletics ever since athletics was nerfed in January patch.  So while 8 athletics might make you walk fast (never run), 8 riding will make your horse go from gallop to impossible warp speed (never trot).  Just make the percentage boost the same (also with maneuverability) and this will help the blance a lot with movement speed differences and the benefits it brings.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
In theory, this sounds fair, but as I don't play cavalry I really have no idea.   :|

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
In theory, this sounds fair, but as I don't play cavalry I really have no idea.   :|

I play cavalry and I can confirm almost nothing was done to balance the doubled riding skill points everyone got when the attribute requirement for it went from 6 to 3. Before January, you needed 18 agi to have 3 riding, and you could ride a tier 3 horse with that. No wonder there weren't JetPonies back then. Even the effect of 1 more riding skill is easy to notice. It's hardly the case for athletics.

I'm all for reducing speed and maneuver of horses, to increase the skill factor of this class. Currently it's too easy to go somewhere at full speed without caring because you know you can make an insta u-turn if you suddenly see a pike popping 5 meters ahead of you.

Offline Chaos

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Takeda
  • Game nicks: Chaos_Takeda, Spec_Ops_Chaos_Takeda
I don't actually see much of a problem here, higher riding for me always meant a little extra (but still almost negligible) speed boost, but I always did it for the maneuver since I ride a courser. Besides, the small extra speed helps sometimes when I'm trying to catch those other pesky courser riders. And 8 riding is really out there, I can't think of any serious build that incorporates 8 riding. While I probably wouldn't notice a speed bonus reduction for the extra riding, I'd rather athletics be returned to its former glory since apparently thats what youre seething about.

And kafein, I don't know about you but I ride a courser and I rarely go anywhere full speed anymore because pikes screw me up ALL the time

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
I don't actually see much of a problem here, higher riding for me always meant a little extra (but still almost negligible) speed boost, but I always did it for the maneuver since I ride a courser. Besides, the small extra speed helps sometimes when I'm trying to catch those other pesky courser riders. And 8 riding is really out there, I can't think of any serious build that incorporates 8 riding. While I probably wouldn't notice a speed bonus reduction for the extra riding, I'd rather athletics be returned to its former glory since apparently thats what youre seething about.

And kafein, I don't know about you but I ride a courser and I rarely go anywhere full speed anymore because pikes screw me up ALL the time

8 riding can easily be part of a 12/24 HA build. And on the last part, maybe you have trouble with pikes, but the point is that many lancers can just avoid them. The courser is not the best horse for this, it's the Arabian Undead-Gray JetPony.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
It shouldn't add speed at all, I mean, why should a horse run faster with a more skilled rider? Maybe accelerate faster, but not higher top speed. Maneouverability increase is alright, though, although maybe too excessive ATM.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
It shouldn't add speed at all, I mean, why should a horse run faster with a more skilled rider? Maybe accelerate faster, but not higher top speed. Maneouverability increase is alright, though, although maybe too excessive ATM.

I agree with this.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Aye my Cav alt agree lol..

But for god sake dont increase the agi needs for riding it was horrible back when we needed to have 1 billion agi points per riding skill  :rolleyes:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
What is the athletic nerf from January? I'm curious.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
It shouldn't add speed at all, I mean, why should a horse run faster with a more skilled rider?
The rider is paddling faster if he is skilled.

Only cRPG horses are more like this:

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
The rider is paddling faster if he is skilled.

Only cRPG horses are more like this:

Nice picture.  Lol.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
What is the athletic nerf from January? I'm curious.
There wasn't. Everything just feels slower, like game speed slowed down.
Also, kesh had 14 athletics prior to the big patch.
Also, the speed difference between cav and infantry changed, since cav has higher riding skill now, making them much faster than before, even after some speed nerfs.
Basically, infantry are slower compared to cav NOW than before. He used to run around sumpter speed. Which you can in real life, so that makes sense.
Now even on a gimmick 3/39 build you can't come close to a sumpter.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:04:19 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Riding points are noticeable but not as huge as you are making them out to be.  Everything would be fine if your previous suggestion to make the deviation in the horses speed tighter, bringing the arab/courser down some and slower horses like warhorses up some.

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
lol keshian i dreamed of that problem this night and had same idea, just wanted to post it as i saw this threat...

+1 for that it just makes sense
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
makes sence. Wanted to vote yes, but I hate these polls with implemented opinions.