Do you think mauls belong in this game?

Yes
35 (62.5%)
No
11 (19.6%)
Indifferent
10 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Mauls- are they appropriate for a game like this?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
Mauls- are they appropriate for a game like this?
« on: September 06, 2018, 05:24:57 am »
99% of the players don't like them, but use them cuz they are OP.  They were never used in medieval times, because if you did you would be winded by the third swing.  Yet, in this mod you can block as fast as lightning.  Why do they still exist?  Why are they even in this game?

People bitch about them all the time.  In Strat battles you need them, cuz they are OP in a group.

But seriously- do they make the game better or worse?

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
Re: Mauls- are they appropriate for a game like this?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 05:37:08 am »
+2
I think archers arrows that hit a maul user should break the maul and leave the user with a shortened spear
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline McKli_PL

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: South_the_grey, HeDdar_the_grey, Wazonowej_the_grey
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 05:51:26 am »
+9
Jesus, crpg 2018 :|

Offline mr_baby_head

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 10:12:44 am »
+5
I'd rather fight a maul than a Usain Bolt thrower any day. Leave the mauls be.

Offline bensai

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 630
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
  • Bᴏxɪɴɢ Cʜᴀᴍᴘ #ᴄRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisia
  • Game nicks: assington
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:47:14 am »
+7
any class with ridiculous mechanics can be abused to a point of absurdity with a high level player (30/18 archers, 30/15 cav, 42str maul, whatever the hell sauce's build is with the mallet). i mean you should just gripe at the bundle of stickss who make the deplorable decision to play those gay builds with a matching gay fighting style
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:50:52 am »
ye lets rather make this thread rather about throwers.  countering cancer with cancer is not a counter.  its just more cancer!  stahp throwers!  stop spreading cancer!!  aaahg!
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 12:41:09 pm »
+1
After getting bonked 7000 times in the strat battle yesterday I now hate mauls too. Delet mauls.

Offline Lord_Carlos

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 03:20:46 pm »
+2
Hell no, dont delete them. its the only way for me as a bad Player to rekt a good player :lol: :D :D

Offline Lord_Carlos

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 03:22:13 pm »
99% of the players don't like them, but use them cuz they are OP.  They were never used in medieval times, because if you did you would be winded by the third swing.  Yet, in this mod you can block as fast as lightning.  Why do they still exist?  Why are they even in this game?

People bitch about them all the time.  In Strat battles you need them, cuz they are OP in a group.

But seriously- do they make the game better or worse?

Because they are in Mount and Blade/ Warband. Hammer were used in Medieval times. :rolleyes:

By the  way People was Stronger in the past.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:32:31 pm by Lord_Carlos »

Offline Techno

• Count
  • Renown: 212
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gecko
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 04:09:24 pm »
+7
Since coming back to mod after a while. Strat K/D before becoming str polearm build:

K/D when becoming str polearm and using maul = visitors can't see pics , please register or login

So you can take any bad like me and turn them into a somewhat usable asset in a battle thanks to maul. By not being absolutely useless i am encouraged to join more battles. More people in battle is good for the mod. Mauls save the mod.  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 05:29:22 pm »
+2
Since coming back to mod after a while. Strat K/D before becoming str polearm build:

K/D when becoming str polearm and using maul = visitors can't see pics , please register or login

So you can take any bad like me and turn them into a somewhat usable asset in a battle thanks to maul. By not being absolutely useless i am encouraged to join more battles. More people in battle is good for the mod. Mauls save the mod.  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This.

As long as pikes can wiggle stab from 2 feet away, horses can jump off castle walls and survive, 2H heroes can swing a 4 foot sword like a feather duster and people can para glide in from ladders that are balanced on nothing leave mauls alone.

The real problem is that the game does not simulate how real sieges were done.  Against equal numbers, climbing up ladders in the face of boiling oil and boulders would go the same way that doing it against mauls did in the siege last night.  Fortresses were rarely taken by storm, unfortunately that's the only option in the game.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:38:07 pm by Turkhammer »

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 05:30:42 pm »
+2
i'm going to assume that the maul in question is the long maul. on it's own, the weapon has some severe downsides: turn rate and swing speed are abysmal, and every time the user goes for an upswing you can spam faster than they can retaliate. the bonus is, you get crushthrough on a weapon with a long reach. i think that the reach benefit coupled with crushthrough make the long maul the most effective of all the mauls, and if you center a build around using crushthrough and don't choose the long maul, you're probably giving up on a ton of potential damage output. I'd also like to think that on its own, long maul isn't as effective as a standard weapon, i think it excels in groupfights and especially strat defenses where the faults in the weapon can be supported with teamplay (hence its popularity).

are there any counters?
Weapon modifiers
- Crushthrough has a chance of ignoring block on overhead strikes. This depends on strength and weapon weight. There is also a random element.
the strength and weapon weight work both ways. if you want to minimize your chances of getting crushthroughed, you can increase your own strength and use weapons with higher weight. however, we have done a long of tweaking with shields. access to them has never been better and both movement penalties and skill point distribution have been tweaked to the benefit of the shielder. this, however, has reduced shield weight across the board which can easily negatively impact 1h/shield performance against mauls. that being said, there are still quite a few shields that have high weight values, perhaps getting people to get some of those shields for strat can improve the plight of the shielder against the maul.

im trying to be fair about this, but i understand that fighting the mauls is frustrating. me the BOYS beat a team in a 3v3 tournament years ago, and the way the tournament was structured sent them to a lower bracket in semis where they beat another team and then came right back to finals for a rematch. they brought a long maul and we couldn't stop the crushthrough/knockdown. feelsbad. i blame really dumb tournament design.

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 07:20:14 pm »
Cheap stuff is also generally newbie friendly. You can remove all the cheap stuff but also make the game less appealing to new players. Probably a big factor to why there arent many new players staying, most of the cheap moves/weapons are already gone.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 07:41:00 pm »
+1
any class with ridiculous mechanics can be abused to a point of absurdity with a high level player (30/18 archers, 30/15 cav, 42str maul, whatever the hell sauce's build is with the mallet). i mean you should just gripe at the bundle of stickss who make the deplorable decision to play those gay builds with a matching gay fighting style
tbf what assington said

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 02:19:50 am »
+1
In Strat battles you need them, cuz they are OP in a group.

Powerful insight, Bryggz. But imagine for a moment your typical brainlet plate vs plate strat siege castle wall clusterfuck WITHOUT mauls. You'd just end up with a couple dudes sitting in a corridor blocking everything, some of those castle maps would go on forever without mauls tbh.