Author Topic: Am i ranged? 2.0  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Razzer

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Intermezzo
Re: Am i ranged? 2.0
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 01:27:44 pm »
+3
After having played archer for a while I do agree, archers need to be dealt with, the damage, the volume, it's just too much. From a game perspective, having a ranged class that can instakill with a headshot is just silly (Talking purely C-RPG here) - The amount of times I just watch ArcherHelot, Merc_Mezzo run around with their instant death +3 Longbow and just 1 hit KO 50 people and end the scoreboard at like 16-0 because nobody can get close to them is ridiculous. The volume is also an issue too, there are far too many archers to make them dealable with a shield. Shields work up to a point, after that point they're not helpful really at all. Only thing that affects how helpful a shield is, is the volume of archers, multiple archers can stick together, and scatter as soon as a shielder approaches, then the shielder will find themselves surrounded on all sides and will in turn get shot to shit. Even with multiple shielders the same exact thing can occur.

I was 1 hit KOing people with a +3 Horn bow, Rus bow and Longbow. The headshot part comes down mostly to a question of skill, because we have a lot of really high skilled archers in C-RPG, and whilst that's not a bad thing, it's also not a good thing, as they can abuse something like that and just rack up millions and millions of kills like I see them do every time they play on the server. Part of the time I spent when I was temporarily a part of the Merc clan before they purged everyone who isn't only part of Mercs was noticing how much Mercs play together and work together with archers and melee, I constantly see an archer and melee pairing, they pull it off really well, the melee attacks and the archer shoots from close range at the person, it's a ridiculously annoying combo to fight against, and they do it really well.

Me personally I think archers are far too strong, and I do think their damage needs to be lowered. But the other avenue that should be opened is the ability for agicher to come back into the fold. strcher is currently the only viable build when it comes to archer, so, the logical thing to do is to nerf strcher and buff agicher. I think that will solve most of the problems with archers just becoming this unstoppable powerhouse of instakills.
I can oneshot headshot like 20% of the players on eu1 lol.
The rest easily tanks a headshot. It's just the amount of ranged, which fucks the mod up.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:45:34 pm by Razzer »

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 04:34:04 pm »
But they rack up over 6 million kills!

Yeldur, what's your k/d from your time as an archer?

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 09:12:05 pm »
+1
There is some wierd misconception, "get a shield" doesn't really mean play as shielder  :shock:

XyNox, recent proposals are to reduce amount od bolts/arrows to range players. Keep the decent accuracy, good missile speed but stop the arrows spam.
With longdbow you can have 2 quivers for bodkins and that gives over 30 arrows. Usuall round on battle server last for 2-3 minutes, and that is almost impossibru to run out of arrows wich gives you no real reason to stay any close to the rest of the team, and that is not different playstyle to what is prefered by "2h kuyak heroes" since they also suck in group fights, what makes them run around the map like retards. There is a reason for that, becouse if you stop for a second you will get shot... so yeah get a shield it sometimes stoppes arrows.
Both sides, melee and ranged players, are guilty of what we have now.
I'd prefer to have some faster rounds with intense fights, but that was only possible on siege server which due to low player base will never get populated again... sadly.

It totally does mean that, I get shot through my shield occasionally with 5 shield skill. I've seen Darmaster take shots to the face numerous times when we've shieldwalled when he has 0 shield skill. Maybe not go full shield skill but get 2-3? That's still forcing me to go hybrid and even that isn't especially effective.

We've discussed a few things amongst ourselves and I agree with reducing arrow counts, they can always go and get more from the field if necessary. Georges suggested playing TDM and binning battle since dying to a headshot will suck less and Chase said melee is boring therefore melee players go archers, therefore more archers.

The trick is making archery less appealing so there are less archers, not necessarily nerfing archery itself.

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 09:32:12 pm »
Maybe not go full shield skill but get 2-3?

That's reasonable and will serve you better than two more points in IF.
Even with higher shield skill you will get shot, occasional headshot might happen that is the truth, also keeping a shield on your backs will serve you against range.
Battle is not a perfect gamemode for pub playing, but that is more a matter of prefernece. Team deathmatch is closer to strategus battles mixed with proximity xp/gold could be fun  :shock: without the need to actually win a round, but a bit more based about performance, sadly this could lead to cav fest and some serious spawnraping just like it happens on Native. But if you spawn some siege stuff ( not ladders) just like in strategus battle this could work out.
What the game needs is for sure more players, but that is a bit tricky and would require more "drastical" changes, unpapular and yet still only a gamble.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:52:42 pm by Dalhi »

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 01:29:36 am »
are you bad at teamwork?
do you enjoy being a lone wolf hero?
are you fine with fucking balance entirely for your personal gain?
are you unable to comprehend how classes synergize?

if yes to any of the above, yes, you are in fact probably a spoiled melee elitist

There's nothing wrong with being a lone wolf on a public server, trying to coordinate without some sort of VOIP is meme-tier at the best of times. Put yourself first, pub scrubs will never have your back.

How can we hope to achieve any class synergy while teams of pure melee are regularly being put against teams of 90% ranged? You can expect to keep seeing QQ threads until something is done about class balance (I believe Prof is working on this, what a champ).

I'm not asking for a range nerf; if xbow wasn't viable with fucking 0 wpf as it is currently, that's a nerf to the melee players that carry an xbow for the lols. Retards like Cajun wearing full plate, still able to oneshot people without engaging them and without sacrificing any skill points to do so.

Honestly, I would like to see just ONE proposal about balancing ranged that isnt utter trash.

Auto balance tweaks and xbow wpf requirements are good starting points imo. Also delete ranged, obviously.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 06:09:58 am »
+2
Add break chance for xbows while reloading when below 10*xbow_difficulty wpf.

"Your rick-rack doesn't click-clack anymore and you have no idea how to fix it. Enjoy your expensive club and shitty darts!"