Author Topic: I need advice for throwing weapons  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I need advice for throwing weapons
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:29:00 pm »
I am an archer and about to retire now. It will be my second generation and first heirloom. I am planning to play as a [1 handed-shield-throwing] hybridized build. Because playing as a pure melee seem ridiculous to me while you have a few more free slots. But the truth is I don't know which weapon for throwers is the best to use heirloom. Throwing lances seem great since it will double the stack when it is heirloomed from what I've heard. But it is just ridiculous that it costs 2 slots. Even though my aiming is very good with throwing weapons I am concerned. But I like heavy throwing weapons which deal GREAT damage. Also I like to penetrate other's bodies and give them a huge pain.

And my second question is, is it advicable to use throwing weapons in heaviest armors like black armor maybe.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:31:30 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Pdogg5954

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: I need advice for throwing weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:52:57 pm »
To be honest, war darts are the best throwing weapons at the moment. Nearly all other throwing weapons received major decreases in the number of weapons you can carry per slot.  War darts are very accurate, can be thrown quickly, you can throw many of them, and though the damage is woefully low, it still is piercing damage, which is a plus.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:55:06 pm »
correct me if I'm wrong but wardarts only have 4 stacks per slot, which is same with throwing spears. And what I seek is something heavier to heirloom. I am planning to use many throwing weapons to fit in situation. Like stones and daggers for spam, axes against shields, spears on horseback, lances for instakills and maybe more. But which is the most funniest one for me. I lack knowledge and experience in throwing of cRPG.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:58:47 pm by Ronin »
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:07:31 pm »
Throwing Spears have 4 but take two slots.
Throwing Lances are shit and will probably be taken out, so don't bother.
I personally had the most success with the axes, but maybe that's just me.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:40 pm »
Yeah heavy throwing axes just seem so great. Huscarl style 3 axes and a shield would be just great. They offer decent melee weapons as well and it will let you to take 12 axes which offer bonus to shields.
But why do you think throwing lances are shit?

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:37:27 pm »
My suggestion. Wait for next patch and when you know the changes, choose a heirloom. Now, choose another item to heirloom.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:04:14 am »
wise words, after I read all those discussion in the cheap shot's thread.

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:29 am »
Certainly if you want to try throwing just now then aim for Heavy Axes.

Since the damage was done to throwing they are pretty much all I ever use.

I usually just take 4 slots of axes then try to remember not to throw away my last axe so I can have it to block, and maybe throw it and run in an emergency.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 04:15:20 pm »
Actually it would not be a problem at all if you throw it by accident, since there are thousands of masterwork weapons on the ground. Sometimes I spawn without weapon just for fun, hit a kick on my opponent then just run away without being hit. Afterwards returning with a heavy flamberge then slashing him. :P

One more question then, I have to ask. In the shop there are no information about shields' slot costs. I will make my strategy according to this. If they all cost 0, I may be able to carry 2 large bags of throwing lances, a buckler and a one handed hammer. Seems well to me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:16:43 pm by Ronin »

Offline Glaurung

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Glaurung, Fallen_Gnome, Fallen_Bernard_le_renard
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 06:37:25 pm »
An hybrid thrower is not the best build for this patch. It's quite costly in wpf and skill points for the actual results you'll get. I have a one handed axe, a hurscarl shield and 1 bag of throwing axes (means only 2). So yeah, it's not very useful.

That aside, I find the axes to be pretty accurate after a bit of practice, not like the darts or javelins that just shoot in random directions.  Also, they don't go that far so you can try to pick them back from the ground. Don't expect to kill much players in melee with any of the throwing weapons though. Hell, don't even expect to kill while throwing them. You should just heirloom a good 1h.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:49:51 am »
Allright, thanks to all for your advices and wise words. I decided to advance myself as a horse archer, since It seems much more rewarding and simplier. Hence, I will lock this thread as there is no use for me. Thanks again :)