Author Topic: I am now a proud gun owner.  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
Re: I am now a proud gun owner.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 09:29:29 pm »
(click to show/hide)

shoot a mouse too and get a good taxidemist

that is actually pretty damn cool

and I know just the right guy for the job.

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 09:56:08 pm »
+1
Thanks for the bump Odin, just picked up a CZ 455 with scope and a suppressor + upgraded trigger, now I can start hunting forest pigeons and crows. Incidentally I also got two packs of surplus ammo for my rifle in the OP, not sure if I'll use them as I've heard surplus ammo can be a bit nastier to your barrel and you have to clean it with water or something after each session.

You should always clean your gun after each session but NEVER and I mean NEVER use water to do it. You need a gun cleaning kit, just google it, they're anywhere from $45 USD to $115 or so. Use the gun oil, which most kits come with. If your gun is brand new or been sitting around for a while you should apply some gun oil to the moving parts before you shoot it. Also, find out how your gun breaks down and get used to completely disassembling it and reassembling it. This not only makes it easier to clean but also easier to replace any parts that might wear out (firing pin, springs, etc.) during the life of the gun. Anyhow, good luck and have fun shooting shit.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 12:42:02 am »
You is now redy to goin chicken huntin
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 04:22:50 am »
You should always clean your gun after each session but NEVER and I mean NEVER use water to do it. You need a gun cleaning kit, just google it, they're anywhere from $45 USD to $115 or so. Use the gun oil, which most kits come with. If your gun is brand new or been sitting around for a while you should apply some gun oil to the moving parts before you shoot it. Also, find out how your gun breaks down and get used to completely disassembling it and reassembling it. This not only makes it easier to clean but also easier to replace any parts that might wear out (firing pin, springs, etc.) during the life of the gun. Anyhow, good luck and have fun shooting shit.
There's nothing wrong with using water to clean a gun. Indeed it's standard practice especially after it gets exposed to salt water.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 04:46:26 am »
+2
That's great man, nothing more fun than owning a gun. I own six guns, just bought my latest gun three weeks ago. I live in America and I'm not a former criminal so the process is easy for me. I buy the gun I want online, get it sent to a licensed FFL holder, and then show up for a quick background check and I'm out the door. My last gun was a Marlin 336 and it took just 5 days from when I bought it online, to it being in my hands.

I'm not sure how shooting works in your country, but nothing is more fun than getting a bunch of close friends together and sharing a good time. Of course, share your guns and ammo with your friends too. Stay safe! Let me know how it shoots, a bolt gun is a lot of fun to use!

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 02:22:04 pm »
+1
There's nothing wrong with using water to clean a gun. Indeed it's standard practice especially after it gets exposed to salt water.

The problem I have with using hot water to clean a gun is getting it all out once the gun itself is clean. There are so many tiny parts that will rust (pretty much overnight) if you aren't thorough enough, especially between the firing plate/firing pin. Plus once you've done that, you're going to need to oil it anyway so why not just skip the hot soapy water clean, and clean it thoroughly with something that isn't corrosive? The only time I've seen hot soapy water cleaning as an effective process is if you're using corrosive ammo such as shot from an older gun IE a musket or something like that, but again you're going to oil the metal anyway after you're initial scrub down unless you like rust. So unless you're shooting corrosive type ammo hot soapy water is not needed or as xant pointed out, you're busting caps in seagulls at the beach exposing your gun to saltwater.

I'm also American and own 4 guns. I've been shooting/hunting for the past 25 years of my life and all my guns are like new condition, even my 30/30 which used to be my grandpas. Never once have I hot water cleaned anything. Just some elbow grease, cleaning kits, and gun oil. Also, I live in Western PA so I've never exposed my guns to saltwater and am not sure why I'd have them at the beach in the first place.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 02:42:23 pm »
The problem I have with using hot water to clean a gun is getting it all out once the gun itself is clean. There are so many tiny parts that will rust (pretty much overnight) if you aren't thorough enough, especially between the firing plate/firing pin. Plus once you've done that, you're going to need to oil it anyway so why not just skip the hot soapy water clean, and clean it thoroughly with something that isn't corrosive? The only time I've seen hot soapy water cleaning as an effective process is if you're using corrosive ammo such as shot from an older gun IE a musket or something like that, but again you're going to oil the metal anyway after you're initial scrub down unless you like rust. So unless you're shooting corrosive type ammo hot soapy water is not needed or as xant pointed out, you're busting caps in seagulls at the beach exposing your gun to saltwater.

I'm also American and own 4 guns. I've been shooting/hunting for the past 25 years of my life and all my guns are like new condition, even my 30/30 which used to be my grandpas. Never once have I hot water cleaned anything. Just some elbow grease, cleaning kits, and gun oil. Also, I live in Western PA so I've never exposed my guns to saltwater and am not sure why I'd have them at the beach in the first place.
You just dry the gun. And of course you use oil as well.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100321110650AAFhavh
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552283
http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/wash-your-gun-with-water.131518/
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/83473-cleaning-firearms-water.html
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/how-many-of-you-rinse-your-guns-with-hot-water-during-cleaning.592814/

Lots of topics about it on the internet, and the common theme is that people were taught to do it in the military, where the guns get the dirtiest and where they're inspected after cleaning by people eager to find even the slightest flaw in how well they were cleaned.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 02:59:24 pm »
"It is a well known fact in the Army that you cannot clean a rifle properly and have it pass inspection. You can spend 8 hours on it running patches down the barrel, Q-tips, pipe cleaners, etc. Put a light coat of oil on it, put it in the rack, wait a couple of hours, and VIOLA! it now turns a patch black when you check it. What was the solution you ask? Well if the Army doesn't want their rifles oiled that is what they get. We cleaned them in the shower with SUPER hot water and some sort of cleaner that was in there. When you took them out of the water they were so hot that the water evaporated after about 20 seconds and a couple of shakes. No oil applied afterward. Quickly turn them in to the armory and let them wonder why they rusted. Its sad, I know, but what can you do when you are dealing with ignorant people. Sadly, I am now an officer and do not feel the need to "fight the establishment" to fix the problem. Just ready to get out."

Taken from one of your links Xant. It is not the best way for an average person who just started shooting a gun to clean a gun. Hell even this guy who is an officer in the greatest country in the world (USA) questions it. And again, the overall consensus is that you have to get every part bone dry after hot soapy water cleaning is used.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 03:06:18 pm »
Yes, that's one person's opinion, and obviously far from common practice.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 03:11:59 pm »
That's a lot of people's opinions if you read through the links you posted. I'd say it's about a 50/50 split on using hot soapy water to clean it. It also depends on what type of metal your gun is made out of and if it's coated steel or just bare carbon steel. The common theme again being make sure you dry everything thoroughly especially springs, firing pins, etc. because they are typically made from carbon steel which will flash rust if any water is left behind. So why even put yourself in that situation if it's your first gun or you aren't in the military?

How many guns do you own and regularly clean xant?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 03:18:08 pm »
That's a lot of people's opinions if you read through the links you posted. I'd say it's about a 50/50 split on using hot soapy water to clean it.
What? That's clearly not what I was referring to, nor is it what the portion you quoted was addressing at all.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 03:32:24 pm »
+1
What? That's clearly not what I was referring to, nor is it what the portion you quoted was addressing at all.

Did you read and comprehend what the quote said or any of the links you posted did? It seems you didn't. You just like to argue for the sake of arguing and I'm not even arguing. I'm just pointing out there are more than one way to clean a gun effectively as are your links. His gun is an older firearm and it's his first gun, so I told him what a lot of people believe and the easiest method to achieve the desired result (clean gun) with a new firearm. He's not actively in the military, I doubt he'll be beach shooting, or diving into fox holes packing his gun full of mud and debris.

From what I've gathered you own no guns, have never cleaned one and are talking purely based off of "research" you've done on the internet since you're replying with one sentence responses and not addressing anything else. Fair enough. I won't waste my time.

IR Kuoin enjoy your new gun! Hopefully we'll get a sweet paint pic of you with it at some point!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 03:36:03 pm »
Did you read and comprehend what the quote said or any of the links you posted did? It seems you didn't.
Yes, I did, but you clearly didn't, since you think the person you quoted is somehow presenting an argument for (or against) cleaning guns with water.

I've been in the military. You haven't. My arguments therefore carry 100 times more weight when it comes to cleaning guns.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 03:51:38 pm »
+3
I was in the military and I'd put the opinion of an experienced and well-linked gun owner way above those "military practices". Once reasonable guidelines are twisted into common-sense defying abdominations by the sheer force of will of the retarded personnel. The gun-owner might want to sell his items one day. The military man often just doesn't give a shit or isn't able to. At least from what I have seen.

Well, I hope Kuoin remembers that we live in the universe where Xant is always wrong. Don't water your gun if you don't know what you are doing.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 03:53:21 pm »
I was in the military and I'd put the opinion of an experienced and well-linked gun owner way above those "military practices". Once reasonable guidelines are twisted into common-sense defying abdominations by the sheer force of will of the retarded personnel. The gun-owner might want to sell his items one day. The military man often just doesn't give a shit or isn't able to. At least from what I have seen.
If only there were hallowed "gun owners" talking about it and saying they use water behind the links I provided. Alas.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.