Author Topic: Rules update, guidelines for admins  (Read 10256 times)

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
Rules update, guidelines for admins
« on: July 04, 2017, 11:31:32 pm »
+21
Hello! Over the past few weeks, I'm sure most of you (namely NA because that is what is active lol) experienced 2 things: NA1 and inconsistent admin actions regarding certain rule transgressions. Hopefully this will get changed now)

Main thing I'd like to adress is our admin's team stance on racist slurs in chat, and in general chat abuse. For the longest time, the general idea was "react to worst offenders, otherwise wait untill a complaint lands", but recently we've come to terms that it's a shit position and we need more concrete, unified guideline on how to react to those problems. We've had many different situations arise that were problematic - what about words like "nigga", or what about using slurs while talking to your friends, where it seemingly doesn't hurt anyone intentionally? Certain cases from our community are the cause why we can't have nice things, so we have to put a stop to some of those practices, even if not all of them were harmful.

The official server rules are getting slightly changed - the racism paragraph will be extended to contain more specific examples of what is wrong and what is not.
It'll read as following:
  • No abuse of in-game chat (racism, insulting, griefing, spamming...)
    • NOT OK: Intentionally using racial slurs, like friend, chink, cracker, jap and so on, towards any player, admin, between friends, towards groups of people
    • NOT OK: Substituting a slur with a synonym that's not outright offensive (i.e - saying nigga instead of friend, whereas context makes it clear what the intention of saying it was)
    • OK: Accidentally using a slur without knowing it's connotations or meaning (It's up to admins to decide how probable it was for offender to not know what the word meant - for example,
       word like jap may just appear as a short for japanese at first)
    • NOT OK: Continued use of a slur after being explicitly told what it means
FAQ:
Q - Does it mean we cannot say nigga anymore? That's not offensive in all meanings and is a part of culture!
A - No, it means that if someone is being a smartass and writes whatever offensive sentence he wanted to write earlier, but replaces "friend" with "nigga", despite his superior intellect he'll not escape the consequences.

Keep in mind, the common sense rule still applies - finding a new way to be an idiot is not gonna end well for possible rule breakers.

Above all else, remember: this is a game, people hop in here and want to play it, kill other players, and have a nice time, if they come here purely to spam obscenities, and not play the game, they are not welcome here.

Regarding the admin guidelines, if an admin is present while the mentioned above rule breaking would take place, their first step should be to remind and warn the player that what they are doing is against the rules. Next, if the behaviour doesn't stop, they should be muted or kicked or banned for a short amount of time (read: 30 minutes or 1 hour), but only kicked or banned if a mute wouldn't have solved the situation. Muting is the prefered way of dealing with the situation. If the player continues to break the rules despite recieving a warning and the first punishment, admins should ban them for a period of time anywhere between 1 hour and 24 hours, in extreme cases more if it's deemed that a shorter time out would not solve the problem.

Repeat offenders who show no hope of improvement can be subject to a much harsher punishment, including but not limited to: longer bans, permament bans, character removal.

FAQ vol. 2:
Q: But no one complains about it!
A: Because many times, people don't bother complaining - they just leave the server. Many potential new players expressed their disgust with the enviroment they have found on the servers, and said it was the main or one of the reasons that they wouldn't continue playing.

Q: This won't work, people will continue being insensitive with their slurs and will flame on. Being banned for 24h tops is nothing to most of them.
A: This will work, because the aim is to deter people from behaving like little children in the first place. If someone doesn't stop and will continue to act like a troublemaker, he'll recieve a much longer timeout, or possibly another fitting punishment.

Q - muh freedom of spee-
A - This is a free mod to a game, worked on by enthusiasts who hate seeing people use excuses like "freedom of speech" to justify their obnoxious behaviour. If you come here purely to spite us, or to use it as a safe space so you can shout racist slurs seemingly without fear of consequences, this ends now.

That would be all for now, thank you for reading, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Ultimately, we don't want to make this game any less fun than it is, we just refuse to agree that this sort of behaviour is in any way fun, quite the opposite - it takes from the enjoyment of the game for some players when they see how toxic server enviroment appears to them.
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline N1PS

• Count
  • Renown: 162
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA Ravens, EU Nords
  • Game nicks: SP1N, N1PS
Re: Rules update, guidelines for admins
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 11:42:57 pm »
+5
Happy 4th
(click to show/hide)

Offline Rando

• Duke
  • Renown: 593
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Chairman of the Refuge Against Domestic Violence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 11:43:41 pm »
+7
gay
Women cannot be autistic, because that implies otherwise well functioning brain to be impaired in some way. We know that women posses no such thing.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 12:33:15 am »
+1
Much needed. It is signed.

Offline Saxton

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos (nigger central), BRD (kesh sux my ass)
  • Game nicks: Saxton
  • IRC nick: Saxton
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 12:38:07 am »
+6
I guess I haven't made enough of an impression this strat.  Feel like the fat girl at the homecoming dance.  No one wants to dance! I'm also a raging friend

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 12:48:06 am »
+14
You can't be racist against white people

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 01:00:07 am »
+11
i'd like to state for the record that i am completely ignorant on all racial slurs and am extremely accident-prone

it is not my fault, it is a condition

thank you for your understanding

addendum: i would like my ban reason changed to islamophobia, as I used no slur in the post that warranted my mute; only a jibe directed towards the UK's policy on strictly policing much of their citizenry's online and IRL speech on immigration and related issues, also a seinfeld reference
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:26:32 am by Sandersson Jankins »

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 01:16:39 am »
+5
ya i think we deserve an explanation regarding the following:

as in someone took jacko's account and muted the living shit out of anyone who disagreed with them

as in if you say it's a glitch you're full of shit

edit 1: sorry if it sounds hostile, i guess it is
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:27:56 am by Thryn »

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 01:52:05 am »
+1
snip

Of course you do, except there's nothing we can explain it with currently, which is why there was no information from us so far, once there is - you sure as hell are getting an explaination, but it's not my choice when that will happen, since Dupre is still looking into it.)) It's a glitch for now, for what it's worth. :wink:

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 01:53:53 am »
+3

Offline Yuang

• Marshall
  • Renown: 788
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • I love you all
    • View Profile
    • 汉云工作室
  • Faction: Nothing
  • Game nicks: TangSanZang
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 02:00:20 am »
+6
These rules come just in time. :wink:

I'm who I am, a firework of larruping color.
My time is seven hours earlier than the forum.

Offline Westwood

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossback, Occitan, Mossitan
  • Game nicks: Westwood
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 02:04:30 am »
+1
Well uh, all I did was advocate for criminal justice reform via slur decriminalization and call a leftist parasite a cuck. I don't really care for racial epithets but legit question, homophobia is still ok right?

Asking for my friend Mike "putting the amp in straight camp" Pence.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 02:13:23 am »
+1
Mike "putting the amp in straight camp" Pence.

Is that the same Mike "if you like it in the crapper, you get the zapper" Pence?

Mike "7.62 for LGBTQ" Pence

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 02:13:31 am »
+3
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:46:17 am by GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER »

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 02:27:32 am »
Well uh, all I did was advocate for criminal justice reform via slur decriminalization and call a leftist parasite a cuck.

just you wait until the liberal world politic is implemented, we will reincarnate the marques de sade and crown him supreme ruler, you and your original sin closet homophile neanderthal repubdicks will be hung from their pubes.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut