Author Topic: Servers are Alive Kids!  (Read 7240 times)

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
Re: Servers are Alive Kids!
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2017, 02:16:43 am »
+1
Strat is a magnet for this hypothetical "new player,"  when I first started it was strat that got me hooked with Crpg in the first place. 

M&B still gets a trickle of new people who hear about it for the first time from some one ranting about it or listing it on a top 10 games list, when they check the Mod scene it would be good if Strat was still slugging around.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2017, 07:43:26 pm »
+6
Im all for the wipe if the level exp requirements are reverted to lvl 31 retirement.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2017, 05:28:36 pm »
+2
We get loads of downloads, lots of new accounts. If we fail to retain numbers or grow under those circumstances it's because we've failed to make the game engaging for them.

Whether that's strat, new patch, or character wipe. With the numbers checking out this mod, we have all the raw resources we need to get populations high again. Imo as long as we commit to never wiping we are committing to the past at the expense of potential future growth.

If you wipe it's just a temporary solution to the problem of leveling the playing field.  In short order, the equipment advantage will reassert itself.  New players will again be facing not only an experience gap but an armor/equipment one yet again.

I'm seeing just 4 servers in the browser.  3 EU and 1 CHN.  How long did most folks wait to see NA ones?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:36:30 pm by Turkhammer »

Offline Suedehead

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: wife_of_an_acrobat
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2017, 06:02:53 pm »
+2
so, looks like EU revival pretty much ended?

Offline Horns

• Count
  • Renown: 207
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I am that horns guy.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Horns
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2017, 06:12:40 pm »
+6
so, looks like EU revival pretty much ended?

You need an EU version of James to bother people and get them on.

Offline N1PS

• Count
  • Renown: 162
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA Ravens, EU Nords
  • Game nicks: SP1N, N1PS
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 06:43:17 pm »
+2
James should be in Marketing tbh
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 06:45:26 pm »
+2
James should be in Marketing tbh

Who says he isn't?

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 06:58:31 pm »
+3
James should be in Marketing tbh sales

Because if you can push a dead mod, you can push anything.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 07:03:29 pm »
+5
Marketing/Business Admin/Operations in University as well as Pre-Service Firefighting. Worked in a variety of sales jobs before starting my current job in 2008. Essentially managing a real life strategus inventory for an infrastructure company lol.

Good guesses.

Offline illogical

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
  • 100 Ping User
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Union, Teutonic Order
  • Game nicks: T_Yakety_Sax_savesiege
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2017, 08:56:55 am »
+2
#savesiege

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2017, 11:59:51 am »
Strat is a magnet for this hypothetical "new player,"  when I first started it was strat that got me hooked with Crpg in the first place. 

M&B still gets a trickle of new people who hear about it for the first time from some one ranting about it or listing it on a top 10 games list, when they check the Mod scene it would be good if Strat was still slugging around.

See where you're coming from, but I've watched this hypothetical fabled new player time and again over years and years come into the mod because he heard about the wonderous "strategus", nearly inevitably described to him, or imagined as a perfect amalgamation of multiplayer sync'd warband singleplayer experience and the proving grounds of battle.

anyone with a modicum of experience with strategus could tell you that this is not even nearly the case; generally these new players are highly disappointed with what they're confronted with. after all, what kind of cretinous nerd is actually going to savor and look forward to the opportunity to participate in an intensely flawed browser-based minigame with few graphics to speak of taking a rather long amount of time and organized+informed groups to accomplish anything in with playing routinely subjected to (or asked to, OVER AND OVER AND OVER through necessity god i hated recruiting for retard-time battles) playing at 4am because of some jackass' nighttime settings?

i believe that if strategus were to enter a new round, it would detriment a bit more than benefit the mod; there exists a sizable group of players that will simply not participate in any strategus battle out of principle or preference. there also exists a sizable group of players that will participate in nearly any strategus battle available! with these two die-hard groups combined with all of the fence-sitters and others, every time a non 100v100 unarmed strategus battle pops up, you'll witness the active server be rendered in two with neither group really having a playable server population.

strat certainly got me hooked, but circumstances are far different now. you'd need to see an ungodly and highly improbably amount of work by a considerable number of nerds. not only that, but you'd need a diverse (lmao) group of nerds otherwise you'll encounter enough people trying to revive strategus but the ingrained tendency for alliances with friends or comrades steer the map towards a dreadful carebear state of affairs

so ya basically i propose a partial wipe or economy reset/change that results in a more modest average gear loadout and meaningful upkeep/economy rather than "lol i've got several mil and nothing to spend it on", with strategus rightfully buried

(click to show/hide)

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline banned123

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2017, 12:43:47 pm »
+1
See where you're coming from, but I've watched this hypothetical fabled new player time and again over years and years come into the mod because he heard about the wonderous "strategus", nearly inevitably described to him, or imagined as a perfect amalgamation of multiplayer sync'd warband singleplayer experience and the proving grounds of battle.

anyone with a modicum of experience with strategus could tell you that this is not even nearly the case; generally these new players are highly disappointed with what they're confronted with. after all, what kind of cretinous nerd is actually going to savor and look forward to the opportunity to participate in an intensely flawed browser-based minigame with few graphics to speak of taking a rather long amount of time and organized+informed groups to accomplish anything in with playing routinely subjected to (or asked to, OVER AND OVER AND OVER through necessity god i hated recruiting for retard-time battles) playing at 4am because of some jackass' nighttime settings?

i believe that if strategus were to enter a new round, it would detriment a bit more than benefit the mod; there exists a sizable group of players that will simply not participate in any strategus battle out of principle or preference. there also exists a sizable group of players that will participate in nearly any strategus battle available! with these two die-hard groups combined with all of the fence-sitters and others, every time a non 100v100 unarmed strategus battle pops up, you'll witness the active server be rendered in two with neither group really having a playable server population.

strat certainly got me hooked, but circumstances are far different now. you'd need to see an ungodly and highly improbably amount of work by a considerable number of nerds. not only that, but you'd need a diverse (lmao) group of nerds otherwise you'll encounter enough people trying to revive strategus but the ingrained tendency for alliances with friends or comrades steer the map towards a dreadful carebear state of affairs

so ya basically i propose a partial wipe or economy reset/change that results in a more modest average gear loadout and meaningful upkeep/economy rather than "lol i've got several mil and nothing to spend it on", with strategus rightfully buried

(click to show/hide)

I think the problem was just the passivity most of the time in Strategus, back during Strat 2 LLJK had over 200 members, the vast majority new and they stuck around and really enjoyed it because we had battles the entire time that Strat was up. Then chadz broke that version and by the time he got Strat 3 up months later 80% of those players had quit for good. In Strat 3 is also where he started adding things that were detrimental to the core of Strategus gameplay, i.e the battles. You started having to micro the map ridiculously for trade goods, having to heirloom armour and discount it, organise trade deals with other clans which by definition reduce the number of potential battles you can have.

Really I think if Strat was just reverted to what it was at it's core, a medium for getting large clan vs clan battles up it would be so much better for everyone involved, the Strategus map is always going to be pretty garbage to use so make it as simple as possible so it can just be used to start the battles.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2017, 09:28:23 pm »
+3
I agree with Badplayer. I found it pants-on-head-stupid that as the mod dwindled, devs made it HARDER to play Strat by adding crime--a mechanic that accomplishes, in my opinion, literally nothing but necessitating micromanagement. People want to have to deal with less obnoxious little details rather than more.

Offline Horns

• Count
  • Renown: 207
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I am that horns guy.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Horns
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2017, 09:54:48 pm »
+8
I agree with Badplayer. I found it pants-on-head-stupid that as the mod dwindled, devs made it HARDER to play Strat by adding crime--a mechanic that accomplishes, in my opinion, literally nothing but necessitating micromanagement. People want to have to deal with less obnoxious little details rather than more.

My cents on start:

1. Hard start and end dates. Forces people to actually do shit.
2. AI armies to throw a curveball into the mix and add a bit more drama.
3. Actual prizes in cRPG once it ends. Gives people a reason for a strat season to end.

But strat hasn't received any thorough love in about 5 years. Basically any change other than minor tweaks would be a plus.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2017, 08:13:11 am »
+2
Crime was kind of awesome because you could take castles from people who didn't manage their shit, though.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄