Author Topic: Being a shitty student in college  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: Being a shitty student in college
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 12:59:10 pm »
+3
lel what kind of dumbfuck in his right mind would study electrical engineering anyway?!
FFS that's stupid!
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 01:09:43 pm »
+2
damn, Torben has some fire there  8-)

lel what kind of dumbfuck in his right mind would study electrical engineering anyway?!
people who are interested in electrical engineering. You wouldn´t believe how passionate some students were back in my electronics courses about power calculations etc

there´s people for every purpose
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 01:17:15 pm »
+3
start doing meth

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 02:21:46 pm »
+3
FFS that's stupid!

I hope you're trolling. Electrical Engineers in the USA (BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD) get paid girlfraaaaand.

It's been a long time since I was in college and the internet wasn't really a major distraction at that point. What you need to do is sit down and make a to do list. It feels good crossing shit off a list and gives you a little pat on the back each time you achieve the goal no matter who big or small you perceive it to be. Just sit down, ask yourself what you need to do TODAY. If it's study for an hour or whatever, make that happen, cross it off list. Rinse and repeat. I know this may sound simple but it'll help you stay on task man and by breaking your larger goal down into smaller ones, you'll feel like it's more attainable. People telling you to switch majors or whatever, fuck them, it's your life. You really won't know what's good until you're actually working. Work and what you study and assume is work are two completely different things. Life, work, learning something new, can all feel overwhelming, that's the way of things. In order to better yourself you have to learn to push and to strive and to strain and show the world you're not a giving up train.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 02:40:08 pm »
+4
I am garbage. End of 2nd year in Electrical Engineering, I am at the edge of suspension with a shitty GPA. Finals begin in 2 days yet I can't just focus and study even right now I am writing this instead of studying absolute divergency.
Any oldmy old friends elderly experienced individuals with fresh tips or suggestions for me?

They usually use math to bring out the trash during basic studies. Next time find a learning group early and use it to fight your own procrastination instincts. It works.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 04:37:13 pm »
You should figure out for yourself what makes you happy in life first. Then you won't ask stupid questions :)
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 05:12:01 pm »
+11
You should figure out for yourself what makes you happy in life first. Then you won't ask stupid questions :)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 07:55:28 pm »
+5
damn, Torben has some fire there  8-)
people who are interested in electrical engineering. You wouldn´t believe how passionate some students were back in my electronics courses about power calculations etc

there´s people for every purpose
I tried being ironic... damn you, Internet!

(click to show/hide)

EE happens to be one of the hardest thing you actually can study. It is hard work... every step... but when you start to put everything together and make cool shit happen... worth it.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 08:05:21 pm »
+2
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 12:01:42 am »
+5
Self-discipline is key.

My best tip is working well during the entire semester. Get up relatively early every weekday, and work until afternoon. You avoid working evenings or weekends, bar the exam period, and don't risk burning yourself out. I'm a 4th year electrical engineering student myself. Most subjects are tough, but some are very fun. Deep learning with neural networks has been the most fun for me as of yet.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 06:18:14 am »
+6
Dude, don't give up in college or else you will give up for the rest of your life being lazy. Obviously if you hate EE then switch. Do something you're good at, NOT something you think you'll love. Odds are the things you are good at will be the things you love most. SO if you're bad at EE change it, look at what subjects, hobbies, or other interests you were good at, and follow those! Maybe college isn't for you, college debt can kill you and it's not a magic piece of paper that will guarantee money and success in life.

However, that's not an excuse right now, you can think about changing or quitting when the semester is over! You have to finish the things you start in life or else you will be a lazy, unconfident individual.

Take it from me, I worked hard to get into Nursing school and everyone was surprised how quick I got in. However, once I was in I just got so lazy and barely studied, read, and even did all my work last minute. They kicked me out of the program 8 weeks after getting into it. Ever had to tell literally everyone you might remotely know how you failed at something whenever they ask you about how school is going? Now I'm on a downward spiral because I have lost my confidence and have become super lazy. I'm building myself back up, and this spring semester has been killer. It's ok to quit, but only once the work has been done.

Yep that's my rambling, hopefully it made sense!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:22:11 am by Jarold »

Offline Zergmar

• Count
  • Renown: 213
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Terrible at everything.
    • View Profile
    • indie game dev, RIP
  • Faction: Hobo
  • Game nicks: SirScumbag
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 06:39:06 pm »
+3
5th-year, senile, all-around shitty student and a garbage-grade homo sapiens here.
Storytelling time. I've changed my course after having wasted a lot of time on something I didn't enjoy but people kept telling me was a "proper major". I was the absolute worst for 1.5 year, took a long break, changed my course. In many ways I was still the worst, but simply liking the subject made all the difference, resulting in top grades (somehow), and easy admission for MA. I have to admit that my discipline improved as well, but that came straight from being interested in stuff that I was learning (a feeling completely new to me at the time). Not telling you to do what I've done, but keep in mind that being a shitty student can be heavily dependent on picking a course in which you can't play to your strengths (that's what I keep telling myself to feel better about being a former heavyweight champion in academical shittiness). Normal pro tips include: joining or forming study groups (as mentioned by others), not skipping classes, and asking questions.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 09:58:29 pm »
+3
Just finished my studies 5 days ago after a huge amount of years struggling. A real old-school Langzeitstudent, and most of the time I hadn't much fun because of bad conscious. I really can't pin it down why I managed to tackle it in the end. But if I had been this productive like the last 1,5 years I would have made the whole thing in half the usual time. Like always it's probably a combination of things, one big factor for me was to be very open about everything to everybody (students + professors + everyone else).

And yeah, feels fucking great to have made it.  8-)

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 10:46:08 pm »
+1

manages to end studies after long struggle just when crpg is dead.

wonders why.

^^
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 04:12:57 pm »
+5

manages to end studies after long struggle just when crpg is dead.

wonders why.

^^

Crpg is probably the only reason I made it through college without committing sudoku tbh.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador