Author Topic: Working is gay and even Russel knew it in 1932  (Read 7787 times)

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
Re: Working is gay and even Russel knew it in 1932
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 10:50:33 pm »
+2
We all should all move to Nepal to study Buddhism become a skinhead monk eat tofu everyday and live life in it's purest form

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 11:05:26 pm »
+1
We all should all move to Nepal to study Buddhism become a skinhead monk eat tofu everyday and live life in it's purest form
its*
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 11:44:40 pm »
+1
no

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 12:01:06 am »
No, we don't. Cash is artificial. And sooner or later there'll be universal basic income (UBI) in every first world country.

Funnily enough, it literally is the vision of one of the candidate for the french election. And while cash may be artificial, you're buying services and goods with it, and you most likely won't be able to distinguish yourself from others with UBI, unless it is very high for everyone, which is an utopia. While I hate working, I can't help but feel uncomfortable if I'm getting paid doing nothing, and I'm not alone, since a survey shown that 70% of french people would still be looking for some kind of professional activity. I could find it, but meh.

500kg nerds in front of their computer all day for a lifetime is mostly what I meant, and sorry for the bad latin, it's been years since I studied that stuff. It's mostly an insult in french, calling someone a "larve" to describe general uselessness + "leeching".

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 12:22:09 am »
+1
Funnily enough, it literally is the vision of one of the candidate for the french election. And while cash may be artificial, you're buying services and goods with it, and you most likely won't be able to distinguish yourself from others with UBI, unless it is very high for everyone, which is an utopia. While I hate working, I can't help but feel uncomfortable if I'm getting paid doing nothing, and I'm not alone, since a survey shown that 70% of french people would still be looking for some kind of professional activity. I could find it, but meh.

What do you mean by "distinguish yourself from others"? Why would you want to distinguish yourself from others?

And you feel uncomfortable because you've been conditioned to be a wage slave since you could talk.

Money is artificial and when AI and robots are producing more than we can consume (post-scarcity economy) there's no reason not to give it out for free.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 12:35:10 am »
+1
500kg nerds in front of their computer all day for a lifetime
That's my dream tbh. I have the body of a monkey and the brain of a pig.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 12:44:04 am »
+6
With all the nice things to do in the world, you'd have to have some sort of anhedonia to feel uncomfortable not working. Shit, work out, read a book, write a book, paint a picture, play music, learn, cook, travel, take up a sport, spend more time with friends and family, build something, go camping, visit an amusement park, learn to dance.
Spend more time trolling the interwebs
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 01:50:13 am »
+1
But what if you like your job and it improves you as a person, your skills and the world around you?

thread smells a lot like 4chan, their "praise idleness" ideology is full of mistakes

also, although we had some breakthroughs with deep learning I think that it´ll still take some centuries until robots will do the actual majority of the work today, so I wouldn´t place my bets on that happening anytime soon(tm)

tl;dr feeling superior by being useless is stupid and makes you a fat hobo nobody wants, as long as there isn´t impressive dedication, hobbies won´t personally push you as far as jobs can do. You first gotta pick the right job though
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 02:55:02 am »
+1

also, although we had some breakthroughs with deep learning I think that it´ll still take some centuries until robots will do the actual majority of the work today, so I wouldn´t place my bets on that happening anytime soon(tm)
So you have no idea what you're talking about yet you feel confident in making predictions? I mean, that's what almost everyone does, but it's still amazing.

tl;dr feeling superior by being useless is stupid and makes you a fat hobo nobody wants, as long as there isn´t impressive dedication, hobbies won´t personally push you as far as jobs can do. You first gotta pick the right job though
Feeling superior by being a wage slave and working (i.e., wasting half of your waking time or more) to increase the profits of your master is stupid and makes you a slave nobody wants (except your master for as long as you can increase his profits, then you're thrown aside like a spent condom).

"Hobbies" can push you as far as a job. Why couldn't they? That makes no sense. Show some scientific backing for this absurd claim.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2017, 02:58:38 am »
+3
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 03:08:55 am »
+4
4chan is leaking again. Wagie memes inc.

I do agree though. Pretty much no one likes working and of those that do, either get a sense of fulfillment because they believe their work is meaningful beyond pure profit (nurses, teachers and innovators [think people like elon musk] for example) or just don't have any imagination and just get stuck in the rut of working. The idea that working is in and of itself meaningful is nonsensical.

But until the robot overlords get here or I strike it rich, going to be a wagie until I can afford to not be.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 06:03:10 am »
+2
Banlist updated. Leshma's out on parole.

I'll be keeping a close eye on you, stud.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 02:59:23 pm »
+2
Yeah, this whole skit is incredibly naive, I'll be keeping a stupid list.

Stupid people in this thread so far:

Xant

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 03:43:39 pm »
What do you mean by "distinguish yourself from others"? Why would you want to distinguish yourself from others?

And you feel uncomfortable because you've been conditioned to be a wage slave since you could talk.

Money is artificial and when AI and robots are producing more than we can consume (post-scarcity economy) there's no reason not to give it out for free.

A scientist is different of a lumberjack. Our experiences shape us, idleness can't bring us anything good if we aren't doing something of our lives on the side. It's not about being a wage slave, it's about doing something I'd love to do, as Ikarus said earlier.

"there's no reason not to give it out for free."

You're right about money, I wasn't questioning that, I'm questioning idleness itself, and the (in)ability of people to gain more than the standard revenue by taking risks (machines will do it), exercising a job related to producing very high-precision/quality stuff (jobs taken by machines), and so on. I don't think pure communism wage-wise would solve anything, since we, by nature, want always more. I can't see a society like this one working, yet it's coming in 30 years or so (estimated that a large chunk of jobs will be destroyed in that period of time thanks to automation), not with a fully fleshed-out AI, but with sufficient abilities at one task to be able to take the job of a human person. It's also disheartening that most of what we're learning today will be completely useless in the (relatively) near future.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 06:18:12 pm »
People banned from this thread so far:

- Molly

Don't make me add your name to the list, person reading this. Behave. You won't like me when I'm adding your name to the list...