Author Topic: Escape from Tarkov  (Read 34060 times)

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
Re: Escape from Tarkov
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2019, 06:11:11 pm »
Hearing a lot about this game. Sounds like it might be a bit overly complex but I am interested.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2019, 07:28:07 pm »
+1
It's complicated in the fact that you kind of need to look online for maps and their exits, what loot is worth holding onto for quests later down the line, which ammo types are the best (although the description with "armor-piercing" is all I've bothered with), and how to fit certain attachments onto weapons.

The loop is pretty simple, load out your character with what's in your budget, go into a map and loot/kill what you can while doing trader tasks along the way and then get out. You can play as an NPC every 10 minutes for a risk free opportunity to loot a map, "risk free" in the sense that you won't lose any gear from your main character and stash but have a chance to add to it with whatever you can scavenge with bare bones equipment.
And how!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2019, 10:19:36 am »
+1
Yeah the game definitely has a learning curve in maps, loot and loadout. Maps are complex and there's just so many different items and they add a lot of new gear with every patch. I haven't played the last 2 or even 3 big patches, but I still follow the game. There have been some very nice additions since I last played such as the Flea Market and quality of life changes (partial quest handins etc.).

I think I'll wait out a few more patches before I pick it up again though, I doubt some of the issues that were frustrating are resolved already, namely performance/desync/lag and a couple of other minor to major gripes I had with the game.

Does putting bullets in the magazine have an animation yet? Hated being in the inventory menu not seeing anything while refilling my mags.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2019, 02:44:01 pm »
There's still no animation for the magazine reloads and partial quest hand-ins are only for separate items. Made getting 5 low-tier armor for a quest kind of annoying. The flea market is a nice way to gauge the value of something and make money.

I've also slowed down on the amount I'm playing, I haven't been able to find a good audio compressor and playing optimally listening for faint footsteps and movement is deafening with the ambient noises coupled with shitting yourself when the gunshots go off. The lag has also been pretty bad because I guess they have a trial period going on and the servers are taxed.
And how!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2019, 09:14:21 am »
Just use Loudness Equalization when you play Tarkov.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2019, 12:17:59 pm »
I think I'll wait out a few more patches before I pick it up again though

Picked up EFT again. Lots of GREAT changes since I last played, especially because I skipped several big patches.
Customs change, trader UI changes, quest changes, scav bosses, healing animations, labs, absurd amounts of new gear and items to find and of course the biggest thing that was added a while ago: the player marketplace, which I think changes the game greatly.

The marketplace is something I absolutely love, it gives the game an MMO-ish feeling and it makes a lot of tasks that were an absolute RNG grind before just a matter of grinding up the roubles and buying the items off the marketplace. So much new gear I'm almost completely lost as to what to use. Gonna be fun trying out all the new guns. Customs change means less confrontations now but also less getting fucked by bad spawns on boiler side, which is nice. Scav bosses I think are an awesome addition. Scavs in general being better geared is nice, now it's actually worth doing a fast factory run with a scav here and there. Lots of essential items can be traded for now, such as key tool. I like the healing animations as well, slows down the game a bit but in turn you can't have someone running away at max speed while also fully healing up. I have yet to do Labs.

All in all, many changes that I think really improve the game. But of course, there will always be cons as well:
- sound right now is absolutely broken. They seem to have done changes to how sound is processed through objects and that in turn caused issues, such as not being able to hear footsteps of people that are really close or behind objects that you should be able to hear
- the usual desync and lag that Tarkov has since beginning
- some quest changes are dumb in terms of fun factor, forcing you to use loadouts that I wouldn't otherwise use
- Mosin, both a pro and a con I think. Super cheap and super effective, something that has basically completely replaced my hatchet runs from previous patches. Fun when you're the one one tapping people, not so fun getting one tapped. I think in general amount of sniper calibre guns has increased which in turn increases how often you get instagibbed out of nowhere.
- automatic fire still controlled by PMC and not player

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2019, 03:27:33 pm »
Waiting for .12 myself. Gonna introduce things like new animations and the Hideout. Tarkov is still one of my favorite games ever, despite the lagginess and bullshit. Should be a lot of fun to play again next big patch, since I've skipped the last few myself as well.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2019, 04:02:43 pm »
Decent hideout teaser: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/c659s4/new_hideout_footage/

From the teasers and what they revealed, seems like 0.12 is gonna be a big one, specifically the hideout and engine update, which could significantly help with performance.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 27, 2019, 05:45:45 pm »
Know if there's any ETA for .12? Haven't followed Tarkov recently.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2019, 06:20:47 pm »
Know if there's any ETA for .12? Haven't followed Tarkov recently.

No ETA, based off what they were saying during dev streams it will most likely happen end of July / August

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 27, 2019, 11:10:11 pm »
Could be a really great patch. Looking forward to new animations the most, and hopefully there'll be performance and netcode improvements with the move to the new version of Unity.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 28, 2019, 09:01:12 am »
Could be a really great patch. Looking forward to new animations the most, and hopefully there'll be performance and netcode improvements with the move to the new version of Unity.

This guy wrote a nice summary of what (potential) comes with the new version of Unity:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/bwku6p/can_someone_explain_how_the_migration_to_unity/epyoxsh/

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 28, 2019, 09:10:08 pm »
Kinda hyped, Tarkov is such a great game when it works and when you're not burned out. One of the best games I've played. Best firefights out of any game, too. The new game experience with it, when everything was fresh and strange, was also incredible. Knowing the maps and tasks inside out takes a lot of the excitement away, but Tarkov mechanics with the joy of discovery, for lack of a better term, was tons of fun.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2019, 03:29:48 pm »
Kinda hyped, Tarkov is such a great game when it works and when you're not burned out. One of the best games I've played. Best firefights out of any game, too. The new game experience with it, when everything was fresh and strange, was also incredible. Knowing the maps and tasks inside out takes a lot of the excitement away, but Tarkov mechanics with the joy of discovery, for lack of a better term, was tons of fun.

I'm really enjoying this patch after a long break, it felt almost like being completely new to the game because of all the new shit they added. Love the Labs map even though it's broken in terms of how much loot you get and devalues other maps because of it. The game still has a decent amount of issues but it's improved greatly with each major patch, along with all the content they add. It's amazing thinking how much new loot, guns and armor was added since I started playing in Feb 2018.

Among other things for 0.12, I expect a decent unfuckening of the quests and hopefully finally making soft skills leveling faster or just a straight nerf to them. A lot of quests are just silly this patch in what they require you to do and as soon as I got the rep required for level 4 traders I simply didn't bother with them anymore.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 03:39:42 pm by Vibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2019, 06:25:33 am »
Lab was gay when I played because everyone was just running around with a pistol, zero risk, huge potential reward. But I think they added an expensive (?) keycard after that, so probably not an issue anymore.

Also with the market place, I couldn't really be bothered with the quests. I just bought what I needed from players.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.